Vape Superstore
What's new

Flavour chasing but what build is best??

ashf1983

Postman
Hi all,

I am just getting into the world of rebuildables. Bought the OBS Crius v3 with the velocity deck and wondered what the best build was on this RTA to get the most flavours?

I've read the more wraps i do the better but what gauge wire shall i use on what mil screw...

Any help/advise is most appreciated.

Thanks Vapers

The Electronic Cigarette Company
It's a journey, so it is.

There is no general "flavour-chasing" setup. Some people are going nuts about dual coil for flavour but as for me, I prefer a simple single vertical single coil with as little airflow as necessary (but just enough so I still drag in enough liquid through the wick into the coil) and I'm still trying to find out whether I like 3mm ID more than 2.4mm. I don't have a coil master, only a set of clockwork screwdrivers but in general, this is what I found out:

The smaller the gauge, the thicker the wire (That's why 26 gauge Kanthal is thicker than 30 gauge)
The thicker the wire, the longer it needs to heat up at low Watts
Also, the thicker the wire, the less resistance you have (Because there's more "room" for the current to go through)
The longer it needs to heat up, the cooler the vape.

I'm pretty fine with 28 gauge Kanthal with 2.4mm ID - Depending on the number of wraps (Usually between 6 and 8) I end up with something between 1.0 and 1.5 ohms. It's not a too warm vape and with as little airflow as necessary I get pretty decent flavour.

Then again, I'm using an S.O.D. clone (Which is this little fella here) and it's TINY with a short, stubby drip tip, so the vapour doesn't have to travel as long.
As for RTAs... well, I'm happy with the GEM RTA clone. The smaller the deck, the less room the vapour has to "swirl" around and condensate.

As I said, it's a journey and noone can possibly tell you "This is the land of milk and honey" - I mean... I got better flavour out of a bog-standard old EVOD where I popped my own coil into a stock head, wicked it with cotton and used it at 4.2 Volts than I got from a goblin mini clone (Which I'm trying to give away now) with a 1.0 ohm coil at 15 Watts. Other people would call me nuts about this but it works for me!

Personal preference, that's all it is about.

As @zwerrg has said, it's a journey. He's happy with one coil, I notice an increase in flavour with each additional coil. My K4 is dual coiled, and my TFV4 RBA is quad coiled.

So you should experiment, you may be happy with one, but you can easily get 4 in that tank. Then there are things like twisted coils and Claptons..........it never ends.

Vape Green
Thanks Zwerrg & Ment, really appreciate your input.

The OBS Crius v3 has a dual coil setup on a velocity deck so will need to jump straight into duals.

I will give it a go with 28 gauge 7-8 wraps 2.5mm ID. Looking forward to what it produces
:sinister:

Hahaha, this is it! :D
I can't possibly tell you how much wire I wasted finding out what the best coil is for me and recently I was playing with the thought of going dual coil again as I finally (yes, finally!) replaced my cloupor Mini 30W with an IPV D2 so as for that "journey" - I'm dipping my toe into nickel builds and tempo control now. Let's see how it goes, better have my protection goggles ready lol

Edit: See what autocorrect can do? "Tempo control"? yeah right. GO FASTER, D2, GO FASTER!

Last edited:
Premier Ecigs
Hahaha, this is it! :D
I can't possibly tell you how much wire I wasted finding out what the best coil is for me and recently I was playing with the thought of going dual coil again as I finally (yes, finally!) replaced my cloupor Mini 30W with an IPV D2 so as for that "journey" - I'm dipping my toe into nickel builds and tempo control now. Let's see how it goes, better have my protection goggles ready lol

lol - I hear you.
I have zero experience in the TC / Nickel wires yet, another area for me to get into once I get my head around RTA builds.

Nice compact mod purchase (IPV D2) Zwerrg, I've heard great reviews on it.

You sound like you've been building for a while...
How often do you re-wick and recoil your builds? I know this is down to preference / vg/pg ratios / usage but generally for you?

Thanks buddy

AcmeFog
My v3 arrives today i'm told. Will have a fiddle and report back. First tank in 6 months.

Nice Cloudcuckoo!
Yeh defo let me know how you get on / what build your going into. SOO looking forward to mine arriving!

lol - I hear you.
I have zero experience in the TC / Nickel wires yet, another area for me to get into once I get my head around RTA builds.

Nice compact mod purchase (IPV D2) Zwerrg, I've heard great reviews on it.

You sound like you've been building for a while...
How often do you re-wick and recoil your builds? I know this is down to preference / vg/pg ratios / usage but generally for you?

Thanks buddy

It depends. Sometimes I leave the wick in the SOD Clone for 3 or 4 days and on other days I just think that there's either too much or too little in it. Especially with single vertical coils you constantly have this hassle that the top end of the wick needs to be dead short, otherwise it will either block off the coil at one side or the juice simply takes too long to "wander" from the deck to the coil and I get dry hits.

As for the GEM? Well, still struggling a bit with the wicking but the amount of dry hits I get points towards "once a day" now. It's definitely easier to build on than on a goblin mini (Damn me... Wee Gobbo and me never became friends!) and the good thing is: You basically have so damn little room for a decent coil that for me a 1.5 ohm coil works best - And I run it at 15W maximum although I tend to even go down to 13.5 or even 13.0 Watts just to prevent dry hits. What's so good about this? Well, that thing still eats a lot of juice but the battery lasts ages longer with settings like this.

In my opinion: Re-Wicking once the liquid starts to taste not as fresh anymore - Re-coiling when not even Re-Wicking improves the flavour. I'm lazy when it comes to this, tho. Lazy and impatient. Since I switched to 70 VG it takes one minute (Yes, for impatient folks like me this is like eternity!) longer to fully soak the wicks.

I think there's no need to set specific dates n times to recoil or rewick - As long as the juice tastes fine, it's fine :D

E-liquids.com
I see. This is crazy new for me. I'm running my Aspire Triton v2 with 0.5 clapton coils at around 45watts atm. Dropping down to 15watts'ish and still getting excellent flavour and clouds is going to be great (for battery life as well).

Gotcha with the rewicking...makes perfect sense Zwerrg.

You're a legend!! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom