What's new

Views on the legal age to start vaping

First of all explain to me just how the nicotine level of a juice can be easily verified by a the law enforcement
In actual fact there is no real law prohibiting vaping for u18's or even under 16's in fact
though I was trying to avoid this, there is no actual age restriction at all in UK to vape in public - only to purchase

Secondly I gave the VCRA example of a work around possible loophole and still be legal to own a BB gun
(does not allow anybody to openly carry that device in public, let alone use it in public places eg: park)
The law applies to sale and usage of a device in public places - NOT ownership as such in private households

Because UK law has been passed the law for purchasing vaping products stands as 18
(only to purchase)

So on that note the BB gun example is completely valid as it covers the purchasing of restricted devices
plus like a BB gun, the seller is breaking the law if they sell (new or s/hand devices)
Gifting devices is a likely work around like BB Guns, but if we sell on our equipment we will need to ensure 18 etc...
ergo the VCRA act & vaping legislation are very similar in purchasing of said restricted items

UK law is 18 to purchase vaping stuff & "generally" accepted as the age to both purchase & use
(I assume this is to prevent bad press on young vapers etc....)

As I stated earlier our UK laws are a little daft at times

So you have pretty much agreed with what I have said.
I think we are united in one thing though, that the laws on a lot of things in the UK are in many cases poorly defined, confusing, and some of them outdated, not relevant in modern times.
I think that is because when something is brought to the lawmakers attention, instead of repealing the old law, in bringing in a new one, they tend to just tinker, or add bits to the existing legislation.

But what would be "generally" as adulthood ?
The age of sexual consent is 16.
The age for buying Tobacco products is 18, but you can use them at 16.
The age for buying alcohol is 18, but you can consume it at 16 if the premises serve food.
You can vote at 18.
You can buy vape kit at 18, but my interpretation of the law is that you can use it at 16.
You can drive a car at 17.
You can't supervise a learner driver until you are 21.

You are not deemed legally responsible by UK law courts until 18 on entering a legally binding contract
eg: loan/credit card - mummy has to organise your mobile or loan guarantor

You are deemed responsible to stand for jury service until 18 to decide another persons fate/verdict
by that you are not deemed old enough to determine responsibility

The driving - supervising of a learner also states you must have held full license for min 3 years
so not just age restriction but also experience - though you could argue a 20 year old could have 3 years

You can apply for an adult passport at 16

You can join thearmy at 16 (with parental consent) or 18 without consent but would not be deployed until 19 anyway
so no kids would not die for their country

As said UK laws are a bit daft at times 16 for consent but adult film is 18 etc....

So you have pretty much agreed with what I have said.
I think we are united in one thing though, that the laws on a lot of things in the UK are in many cases poorly defined, confusing, and some of them outdated, not relevant in modern times.
I think that is because when something is brought to the lawmakers attention, instead of repealing the old law, in bringing in a new one, they tend to just tinker, or add bits to the existing legislation.

yup - I'll agree with that

The smoking one is a classic example as Scotland & NI did change the smoking age to 18
but England & Wales left it at 16 and only raised purchase age to 18

Scotland lowered the alcohol driving limit in around 2014
which in rare circumstances you could be under the limit in England but drive over the border & you could be arrested

The law is more than just a bit vague or unclear at times and a few exceptions etc....
Other times it is a bit wtf ???

You are not deemed legally responsible by UK law courts until 18 on entering a legally binding contract
eg: loan/credit card - mummy has to organise your mobile or loan guarantor

You are deemed responsible to stand for jury service until 18 to decide another persons fate/verdict
by that you are not deemed old enough to determine responsibility

The driving - supervising of a learner also states you must have held full license for min 3 years
so not just age restriction but also experience - though you could argue a 20 year old could have 3 years

You can apply for an adult passport at 16

You can join thearmy at 16 (with parental consent) or 18 without consent but would not be deployed until 19 anyway
so no kids would not die for their country

As said UK laws are a bit daft at times 16 for consent but adult film is 18 etc....

Exactly, when you look at it all you could call it laughable, or you could say after all the years of tinkering with existing legislation it has culminated in a clusterfuck :2thumbsup:

yup - I'll agree with that

The smoking one is a classic example as Scotland & NI did change the smoking age to 18
but England & Wales left it at 16 and only raised purchase age to 18

Scotland lowered the alcohol driving limit in around 2014
which in rare circumstances you could be under the limit in England but drive over the border & you could be arrested

The law is more than just a bit vague or unclear at times and a few exceptions etc....
Other times it is a bit wtf ???

Don't get me started on that one.
A Scottish mate, and I have regular arguments in the pub.....................

First of all explain to me just how the nicotine level of a juice can be easily verified by a the law enforcement

Well maybe in a few years when the police officers are more experienced in vaping, they will be able to put a drop on their finger, lick it, and tell the strength.
Just like they do in movies, and documentaries on TV :bliss:

Exactly, when you look at it all you could call it laughable, or you could say after all the years of tinkering with existing legislation it has culminated in a clusterfuck :2thumbsup:

It has certainly become more complicated and less clear cut as certain laws stand/ammended

The age of 18 is a generally fairly good yard stick to set 18 as the age of adulthood
The problem is when other ages for certain things differs then you get calls for full equality

Which oddly enough due to the EU's legislation of equality the pensions age had to be addressed
So due to costings it was decided to raise women's pension to 65 like the male pension age in 1995
(than lower the male pension age to 60 from 65)

Oddly enough the Woman's pension age WAS 65 until in 1940 it was lowered to 60
so really the woman's pension age was merely being returned to 65

UK legislation is weird thing at times

65, wish it was, mines been pushed back to 66 or 67 now, despite the fact that I have already paid the full contributions for a UK pension, and still paying for another bloody 6 or 7 years to go, and being signed of as long term sick, with little ever hope of returning to my job..................

65, wish it was, mines been pushed back to 66 or 67 now, despite the fact that I have already paid the full contributions for a UK pension, and still paying for another bloody 6 or 7 years to go, and being signed of as long term sick, with little ever hope of returning to my job..................

Ahh see both Conservatives & Labour are to blame

1995 was Conservatives raising women to 65
2007 was Labour's 2007 pension act that was to raise to age from 65 to 66 to 67 68 etc....

Conservatives recently brought this phasing in schedule forward

http://www.web40571.clarahost.co.uk/statepensionage/SPA_history.htm

So all of them are to blame & tossers in Parliament - both Commons & Lords pass these dumb arse laws & legislation

been made redundant 3 times, and was offered next to fuck all to get me through first & only time I signed on
fortunately I was able & needed to find another job (bit crappier than previous) within 6 weeks
but others are not so fortunate and unless you know how to work the system you get ignored to fend for yourself
(regardless of who is in, they take your tax off you quick enough - not so quick to assist you when in need)

Best of luck btw

Last edited:
Ahh see both Conservatives & Labour are to blame

1995 was Conservatives raising women to 65
2007 was Labour's 2007 pension act that was to raise to age from 65 to 66 to 67 68 etc....

Conservatives recently brought this phasing in schedule forward

So all of them are to blame & tossers in Parliament - both Commons & Lords pass these dumb arse laws & legislation

been made redundant 3 times, and was offered next to fuck all to get me through first & only time I signed on
fortunately I was able & needed to find another job (bit crappier than previous) within 6 weeks
but others are not so fortunate and unless you know how to work the system you get ignored to fend for yourself
(regardless of who is in, they take your tax off you quick enough - not so quick to assist you when in need)

Yeah I know where you are coming from.
1st time I was out of work after 35 years of graft & taxes, I went to the local Job Centre to sign on.
Wonderful experience, after 1/2 hour of form filling, and work related discussions I was told "it will be difficult to find a new position for you due to your excellent qualifications & experience" as to benefits, as I had my own house, they would only give me £60 a fortnight till my savings were gone.
I had to go back every fortnight to prove I was looking for work (course I was looking for work, how could my family of three live on £30 a week !) I missed one visit they stopped my payments.
Another 10 years of work & taxes (some at 40%) and I spend 3 months in hospital, when I leave hospital I need some small changes to the house so I can have a bed downstairs, extra handrails on the stairs, in the bathroom etc, meals making if my wife was at work. Taking to the doctors, hospital appointments etc, as I could hardly walk at the time.
What help with this did I get, bugger all, because I had my own house, and some savings.
My views on working hard & paying your dues have changed somewhat over the last few years.......
Don't get me wrong, I have enough coming in to pay my bills, but only as I have saved some money all my working life, and for the last 10 years had a good contract that means my sick pay is 50% of my salary, not because I get any help from the state !

Back
Top Bottom