What's new

POLL, steeping: Daylight or Dark space ?

Dark place or light place

• Light place

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • Dark place

Votes: 61 83.6%

• Total voters
So I absolutely want my juices to steep, but i want to have the minimum degradation possible. Degradation would result in less nicotine content. My understanding of what happens when you step eliquid is that you are oxidising it,and diffusion is occurring between the molecules. Which is different from degradation. It’s why nicotine that changes colour shouldn’t have its strength changed(or very little).

Nicotine is actually quite a stable compound, I believe I’ve seen studies where in indirect sunlight suspended in pg, after two months the nicotine will have only degraded in strength by 2.1%. When steeping the more volatile compounds (ie the flavourings) and the nicotine are oxidising Which results in flavour changes as the compounds do.

If while steeping the nicotine was degrading(by a significant amount) the longer the steep the lower the strength of the juice nicotine would be, which I believe has proven to not be the case, and presumably would have a large effect on sellers of Ejuice as the nicotine strength they mixed at and sell at would be different.

I’m not a chemist in any way shape or form but have done a little reading around the matter and had a quick conversation with my brother in law who is a molecular chemist, so that’s what’s formed my opinion. I may be way out!

There is still no precise definition of steeping and terms like degradation and oxidisation are just generalisations for the processes involved.

What is clear, in my experience, is that nicotine is the most volatile of the ingredients, is the main component in the steeping process, and the more there is the quicker the steeping.

VG and PG will keep for years, probably decades, I have flavourings that are 4 years old and are perfect, but nicotine degrades in months.

I make the same juice in 3mg and 6mg - the 6mg is ready to vape in 3 months while the 3mg is virtually unchanged.

If you accept that degradation of nicotine is responsible for steeping then surely you want it to happen as quickly as possible, so why store it in the dark?

If you don't accept this, but it degrades by only 2.1% in 2 months in sunlight, what is there to worry about?

Sorry I probably didn’t a great job of explaining my thoughts, I’d just awoken after a couple of hours sleep after night shift.

Hope you don’t think I’m arguing with you for the sake of it, i find this an intersesting subject and I enjoy hearing other thoughts on the matter.

There is still no precise definition of steeping and terms like degradation and oxidisation are just generalisations for the processes involved.

That’s true. But degradation (although it’s probably reduction we’re talking about) and oxidisation are specific chemical processes that are precisely defined and go hand in hand. Ejuices are certainly undergoing these reactions, but it’s fair point that steeping isn’t precisely defined, nor understood.

What is clear, in my experience, is that nicotine is the most volatile of the ingredients, is the main component in the steeping process, and the more there is the quicker the steeping.

VG and PG will keep for years, probably decades, I have flavourings that are 4 years old and are perfect, but nicotine degrades in months.

So i think differently, from my experience. I personally think volume has the biggest effect, the more juice you have, the longer it takes to steep. 10ml of 24mg will steep quicker than 100ml of 3mg juice.

With regards to the volatility of nicotine, I don’t think it is the necessarily the most volatile. Whilst yes I have flavourings that are years old that are okay, but I also have flavourings such as citrus’s and other fruits that the flavour can be lost really quickly. Have you ever made juices with lime in it for example? The lime flavour can be lost very quickly, and lime concentrates definitely seem to become less potent fairly quickly.

On the other end of the spectrum things like vanillas and caramels seem to last a massively long time. I believe I’ve seen it suggested that the former have smaller molecules that are lost more rapidly than the letters larger molecules. I suspect nicotine in terms of volatility lies in between. I’ve had juices that lose there citrus flavour quickly, but i get a good nicotine hit from juices over the same time period, so I don’t think the nicotine has lost its potency as quickly.

Totally agree with you about vg and pg.

If you accept that degradation of nicotine is responsible for steeping then surely you want it to happen as quickly as possible, so why store it in the dark?

So my original point was trying to explain that I specifically don’t think that degradation of nicotine is responsible for steeping. I think oxidation plays a part in the process but so does the diffusion of the flavour molecules throughout the solution. I think technically it’s probably polymerisation rather than diffusion I’m talking about.
It’s like cooking. You make something like a chilli and the flavour developes,blends and gets better over time due to polymerisation. Same thing with steeping.
The study that looked at nicotine over 2 months in indirect sunlight showed only a 2.1% loss. Therefore I don’t think that it’s the nicotine degrading that’s responsible for what’s happening in steeping. It’s happening, and having an effect on the flavour but it’s the other processes occurring that have a larger effect.

If you don't accept this, but it degrades by only 2.1% in 2 months in sunlight, what is there to worry about?

So yeah I don’t accept it, or more precisely i theorise that it’s not correct as per the reply above.
The study showed the degradation of 2.1% in “indirect” sunlight rather than direct. So I’m not worried about indirect sunlight. But I am worried about direct sunlight. Photodegradation of polymers by uv light is well understood and it’s a pretty safe assumption that ejuice would be photodegradable to me in absence of any evidence to the contrary. So until I get that evidence I’ll steep in the dark.

Stephen Hawkins eat yer heart out.
I'm totally lost.
Mix it. Steep it. Enjoy it.
I pop mine in the cudboard.

A Very Big thank you to the great posts on the subject, I Must admit some very good and detailed points regarding this subject, Nice one chaps :clapping::thankssign:

Good post @Chairmanmeow. I don't claim to be an expert and we're all still learning.

I'm speaking purely from personal experience that the higher the nic concentration in a juice, the faster it will steep.

Perhaps the nic isn't degrading but combining with molecules in the flavourings to help them steep.

Ah I actually miss read your previous post as less Nicotine speeds up the steep not more. That probably makes sense.

Good post @Chairmanmeow.

Perhaps the nic isn't degrading but combining with molecules in the flavourings to help them steep.

Yeah that’s pretty much what I think. Perhaps it almost acts like a catalyst with what you’ve observed regarding quicker steeping with high nic strength. That’s interesting.

Out of interest have you found putting them in the fridge seems to halt the steeping process? I’m assuming so from what you said previously. I’ve never tried. If so that could be really useful for the citrusy or fruit liquids that sometimes lose their flavour quickish.

[QUOTE="Ment, post: 1790696, member: 18094"I don't claim to be an expert and we're all still learning.[/QUOTE]

Oh I totally agree I’m so not an expert myself, at all.Problem is their has been very little scientific research into some of these areas so discussing personal experiences is hugely helpful while we are all learning.

Out of interest have you found putting them in the fridge seems to halt the steeping process? I’m assuming so from what you said previously. I’ve never tried. If so that could be really useful for the citrusy or fruit liquids that sometimes lose their flavour quickish.

I've never done this with a fruity flavour as I tend to mix up only custard types and tobaccos in big batches.

Fruits I literally shake and vape, and I get bored of them very quickly so I never make a lot.

I've never done this with a fruity flavour as I tend to mix up only custard types and tobaccos in big batches.

Fruits I literally shake and vape, and I get bored of them very quickly so I never make a lot.

Cool. Have you noticed it seeming to stop the steeping custard/tobaccos at all?

It's all quite complicated chemistry. Even common occuring chemical reactions like browning the chicken breast on a pan fry aren't fully researched - there is just too much happening and to many compaunds are involved in quite violent changes.
Same for juice - different flavours are just different groups of compounds which react with each other in a certain way. How fast and what the results are depend on ingredients themselves, volumes, concentrations, external influences like temperature, light, turbulence, current, etc. For example heat, light, turbulence are common tricks to provide extra energy to the environment and shift the balance of reaction "to the right" - the results are achieved faster but may not be the same as it would be without external influence. That doesn't have to be a bad thing of course - you can gain something not possible otherwise. Here is the link to wiki's list of aromas
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aroma_compound

It's all quite complicated chemistry. Even common occuring chemical reactions like browning the chicken breast on a pan fry aren't fully researched - there is just too much happening and to many compaunds are involved in quite violent changes.
Same for juice - different flavours are just different groups of compounds which react with each other in a certain way. How fast and what the results are depend on ingredients themselves, volumes, concentrations, external influences like temperature, light, turbulence, current, etc. For example heat, light, turbulence are common tricks to provide extra energy to the environment and shift the balance of reaction "to the right" - the results are achieved faster but may not be the same as it would be without external influence. That doesn't have to be a bad thing of course - you can gain something not possible otherwise. Here is the link to wiki's list of aromas
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aroma_compound

Thanks dude. It’s a good point about the browning of food. If something is as well reasrched as this, yet still Maillard reactions are not fully understood,it shows how complex an area it is. It’s a pity that there hasn’t been any real research into mixing eliquids in the way we have been talking about, and it’s unlikely there will be for the foreseeable future.

Back
Top Bottom