What's new

Please help me with my survey

dkale

Initiate
Hi,

I am a PhD student, running a research project on e-cigarette use and its relation with impulsivity, cigarette smoking status and other risk factors in adults as part of her PhD studies.

I would be very grateful if you could take part by answering to an online questionnaire that won't take you more than 10 minutes.

You can find the questionnaire here :

https://goldpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_57NYIIiI5aFVZwp

You don't have to be an e-cigarette user nor cigarette user to take part in the study.

Thank you in advance for your help.

To many questions are similar - I have not finished the survey as I do not like repeating myself ;)

To many questions are similar - I have not finished the survey as I do not like repeating myself ;)
Thank you for your help in my study. Sorry for having similar questions, but I am using questionnaires that are validated in the field. I will really appreciate it if you could answer all questions. Thank you again!

Thank you for your help in my study. Sorry for having similar questions, but I am using questionnaires that are validated in the field. I will really appreciate it if you could answer all questions. Thank you again!

Would have helped to have a middle ground with them. I do a lot of surveys throughout the year and am given the option of a neutral answer of 'neither agree nor disagree' in your survey there was "somewhat agree" or "somewhat disagree". We dont all fit this type of answer.

When I get in from work and onto my PC I will have another look and see if I can complete it, but on the face of it, my answers would not be truthful. Therefore giving you a false outcome of your survey.

Perhaps speak with your tutor as I do like the idea of your survey, can see it is psychology based and swaying towards collating evidence of persona/traites.

I would be interested in seeing the final results as there are already known factors between adictive personalities and smoking as well as mental health and smoking ;)

Thanks for your suggestions/ recommendations. I will take them under account in my next study.

I will definitely share the final article of this research, once it is published.

Thanks again for the time!

Ok, I am home and back on full size equipment. I will give you full feedback, using your numbering:

Q2. You will struggle as what race are you classing as 'Asian'? Are you talking Hindu/Pakistani etc or Chinese etc? Yes, there is the option of 'other' but then you will also need to go through all the different answers when you could have had one extra and saved load of legwork.

Q4. Retired should be an option as retired people are not unemployed, or had working / not working/ student instead.

Q4. Last smoke should probably have also had other options of 1+ and 5+ years as you will then have a greater breakdown of your results which will give you a better idea of how vaping works. Quite a lot of vapers have been doing this for many years.

Q6. current cig use - again could have saved your time by doing 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, 16-20, 20-30 and 31+. Means less time you have to worry about calculating all the results yourself and cross referencing anything.

Q9. How many times vaped a day - see above as I presume you mean 'vape breaks' - also take into account many people chain vape for pleasure. what answer do you expect that type of vaper to give? Vaping is not like lighting a cig, finishing it and waiting a bit before having another.

Q10. Mils vaped a day - again see my response to Q6. Had you done some research you would have seen the variables with kit and use, tweaking your survey, made it easier for analysing the results. Eg you could have done it as 0-10ml, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40 and 41+.

The cannabis questions should have been on their own topic/page - implies all vapers are dope heads as you have lumped it in with vaping.

Q&A - act and think - you really needed the neither agree / nor disagree option like you had earlier in the survey for reasons I will go into below.

To give you a bit of personal explanation behind some of the questions:

Some of the 'thrill seeking' questions ie parachuting / ski-ing - yes, it would be lovely to do that, not for the thrill but just for the 'achievement' however landing would more than likely lead me to being signed off work due to injury, same with falling whilst going down a ski slope. How am I supposed to answer them with the restrictive options? see why the neither agree/ disagree would have been handy? Scuba diving - would love to do it, however I have a fear of water as I nearly drowned when I was little. It would be an achievement, not a thrill - again, how can I answer that correctly to make sure you have an accurate response from me?

I guess the "would enjoy" questions would be easier to answer if I was not disabled and had 'fixed' pain levels instead of fluctuating throughout the day/week. How would my answers vary if I was completing this on a lower pain/fully mobile day compared to a day when I am fairly immobile and meds are not doing anything? Too many variables to give you a good result from the answers I have submitted. Ask someone with mental health concerns the questions an I am sure their answers would also vary as to if it was a good or bad day.

The reason I have taken the time to actually comment on your post is your opening post seemed fairly well written, compared to the usual surveys we get requests for. I thank you for putting thought behind it. I appreciate you taking on board the comments that I have made and understand you will not be able to alter this survey. Should you need to ever need to conduct a survey again I would strongly recommend you join the target group for a few weeks and 'study' the topics, questions members put forward and have a good look around some of the other sub forums contained within the site. This will give you a greater idea about the target audience that you are approaching and allow you to prepare an improved survey; as well as giving your tutor full rationale behind the questions you pose. This in turn will provide you accurate responses from the geographic you are seeking to survey, save yourself a lot of time at the end of the end of it when you are collating all the information and trying to work out the replies from everyone when you have given them the option of posting their own response. It will also free up more of your time to write a report that you will be 100% confident with and know you have some very good / accurate responses instead of us attempting to pick one that we are not comfortable with.

Whilst attempting to complete the survey on my phone, which resulted in my earlier comments, as well as completing it tonight, I could not help but keep thinking of the file Mr Jones with Richard Gere. It is a film from 1993 but has stuck with me for many years. The questions just kept giving me flashbacks to various parts of the film. If you haven't seen it, I recommend you watch it if you are looking to get into that area when you gain your PHD.

The title "E-cigarette use and its relation with impulsivity, cigarette smoking status, cravings and other risk factors in adults", nope, it really does not seem that way to me. More like a 'mental health' survey with a few questions on ecigs thrown in for good measure as it is the latest 'hot topic'. Had it been titled mental health with smoking, ecigs, impusivity and risk factors it would have made more sense.

Whether the person is a smoker, vaper, vegan, alcoholic or other addict, or just someone who has realised there is one life and they will live it, they are human. Personalities are what develop through childhood, teenage years and adulthood. Life is a learning game and for some people their direction is thrown off due to what they have gone through growing up, due to genetics or a pre-disposition which then either mutates on its own into a mental health issue or is triggered by some occurrence.

I am not sure what direction you are looking to go in when you complete your PHD, I do however feel confident that you will achieve what you are looking to gain from your course. Still looking forward to seeing the results when they are compiled and hope that you do return with them.

Hopefully many members here will complete the survey as we are a worldwide site.

Ok, I am home and back on full size equipment. I will give you full feedback, using your numbering:

Q2. You will struggle as what race are you classing as 'Asian'? Are you talking Hindu/Pakistani etc or Chinese etc? Yes, there is the option of 'other' but then you will also need to go through all the different answers when you could have had one extra and saved load of legwork.

Q4. Retired should be an option as retired people are not unemployed, or had working / not working/ student instead.

Q4. Last smoke should probably have also had other options of 1+ and 5+ years as you will then have a greater breakdown of your results which will give you a better idea of how vaping works. Quite a lot of vapers have been doing this for many years.

Q6. current cig use - again could have saved your time by doing 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, 16-20, 20-30 and 31+. Means less time you have to worry about calculating all the results yourself and cross referencing anything.

Q9. How many times vaped a day - see above as I presume you mean 'vape breaks' - also take into account many people chain vape for pleasure. what answer do you expect that type of vaper to give? Vaping is not like lighting a cig, finishing it and waiting a bit before having another.

Q10. Mils vaped a day - again see my response to Q6. Had you done some research you would have seen the variables with kit and use, tweaking your survey, made it easier for analysing the results. Eg you could have done it as 0-10ml, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40 and 41+.

The cannabis questions should have been on their own topic/page - implies all vapers are dope heads as you have lumped it in with vaping.

Q&A - act and think - you really needed the neither agree / nor disagree option like you had earlier in the survey for reasons I will go into below.

To give you a bit of personal explanation behind some of the questions:

Some of the 'thrill seeking' questions ie parachuting / ski-ing - yes, it would be lovely to do that, not for the thrill but just for the 'achievement' however landing would more than likely lead me to being signed off work due to injury, same with falling whilst going down a ski slope. How am I supposed to answer them with the restrictive options? see why the neither agree/ disagree would have been handy? Scuba diving - would love to do it, however I have a fear of water as I nearly drowned when I was little. It would be an achievement, not a thrill - again, how can I answer that correctly to make sure you have an accurate response from me?

I guess the "would enjoy" questions would be easier to answer if I was not disabled and had 'fixed' pain levels instead of fluctuating throughout the day/week. How would my answers vary if I was completing this on a lower pain/fully mobile day compared to a day when I am fairly immobile and meds are not doing anything? Too many variables to give you a good result from the answers I have submitted. Ask someone with mental health concerns the questions an I am sure their answers would also vary as to if it was a good or bad day.

The reason I have taken the time to actually comment on your post is your opening post seemed fairly well written, compared to the usual surveys we get requests for. I thank you for putting thought behind it. I appreciate you taking on board the comments that I have made and understand you will not be able to alter this survey. Should you need to ever need to conduct a survey again I would strongly recommend you join the target group for a few weeks and 'study' the topics, questions members put forward and have a good look around some of the other sub forums contained within the site. This will give you a greater idea about the target audience that you are approaching and allow you to prepare an improved survey; as well as giving your tutor full rationale behind the questions you pose. This in turn will provide you accurate responses from the geographic you are seeking to survey, save yourself a lot of time at the end of the end of it when you are collating all the information and trying to work out the replies from everyone when you have given them the option of posting their own response. It will also free up more of your time to write a report that you will be 100% confident with and know you have some very good / accurate responses instead of us attempting to pick one that we are not comfortable with.

Whilst attempting to complete the survey on my phone, which resulted in my earlier comments, as well as completing it tonight, I could not help but keep thinking of the file Mr Jones with Richard Gere. It is a film from 1993 but has stuck with me for many years. The questions just kept giving me flashbacks to various parts of the film. If you haven't seen it, I recommend you watch it if you are looking to get into that area when you gain your PHD.

The title "E-cigarette use and its relation with impulsivity, cigarette smoking status, cravings and other risk factors in adults", nope, it really does not seem that way to me. More like a 'mental health' survey with a few questions on ecigs thrown in for good measure as it is the latest 'hot topic'. Had it been titled mental health with smoking, ecigs, impusivity and risk factors it would have made more sense.

Whether the person is a smoker, vaper, vegan, alcoholic or other addict, or just someone who has realised there is one life and they will live it, they are human. Personalities are what develop through childhood, teenage years and adulthood. Life is a learning game and for some people their direction is thrown off due to what they have gone through growing up, due to genetics or a pre-disposition which then either mutates on its own into a mental health issue or is triggered by some occurrence.

I am not sure what direction you are looking to go in when you complete your PHD, I do however feel confident that you will achieve what you are looking to gain from your course. Still looking forward to seeing the results when they are compiled and hope that you do return with them.

Hopefully many members here will complete the survey as we are a worldwide site.

I really appreciate your comments and I am taking them under account in my next study.
You have been extremely helpful!
Thank you!

Just done it for you ....... to add to what @Miss Pepper said

not only retired but also 'self employed' and 'volunteer' would maybe be options for Q4

.. also 'housewife/househusband/homemaker/slave to my children or whatever the current acceptable term is.

Back
Top Bottom