What's new

MSc Dissertation project looking at the differences in mood across current smokers, vapers, ex-s

Apologies for the confusion. The ex-smoker category is for those who have successfully quit smoking and are using no other form of nicotine and the vapers category refers to those who currently vape as a method of quitting smoking.
Thank you for your interest in my research!
So you define smoking cessation as requiring total abstinence from nicotine use?

A sizeable chunk of 2.8 million vapers might disagree.

Also, don’t you feel that obtaining results from a forum calls the data into question? No me, obviously, but some people could be idiots or drunken fools and fill in the form badly on purpose.

* this forum has a very high percentage of idiots, drunks and fools

Thank you for your interest in my research!

The research hopes to determine a relationship between mood and nicotine dependence. Mental health has been constantly on the increase for many years, many of those who suffer from psychological mood disorders are also smokers. Research has indicated that there is a strong relationship between smoking cigarettes and psychological mood disorders. I hope to assess this link further in order to contribute to research into mental health and distinguish between those who smoke to relive symptoms or those who suffer as a result from smoking. Additionally, assess wether this factors into those who are unsuccessful in quitting smoking.

I am particularly interested in looking into vaping as a category due to it being a relatively new nicotine replacement therapy and little is still known around the subject.

Hope this helps a little!

Thanks for your reply, Lauren.

Have you seen Richard Bentall’s proposal to classify happiness as a psychiatric disorder? Would this throw the cat among the pigeons, so to speak?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/1619629/

So you define smoking cessation as requiring total abstinence from nicotine use?

A sizeable chunk of 2.8 million vapers might disagree.

Also, don’t you feel that obtaining results from a forum calls the data into question? No me, obviously, but some people could be idiots or drunken fools and fill in the form badly on purpose.

* this forum has a very high percentage of idiots, drunks and fools

Vapers (who continue to use nicotine) are classified as a separate category for the purpose of my research . I wish to assess those who have successfully quit smoking through other methods (with the absence of nicotine). I understand some smokers use alternative nicotine therapy to quit successfully other than vaping.

Back
Top Bottom