What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Investigating the role of impulsivity in e-cigarette use

Hi there,

I am a PhD student at Leeds Beckett University. My research is focusing on the association between impulsivity and e-cigarette use and I am requesting permission to advertise my study to members of this platform. This research is particularly important given the increase in e-cigarette use despite knowing little about it. Additionally, e-cigarettes are being advertised and promoted as a smoking cessation aid, and therefore it is essential that more research is conducted to help inform us of how effective e-cigarettes are and allow researcher to develop more prevention and treatment aids. This experiment will involve a 45 minute online questionnaire which will ask participants to complete various measures regarding their vaping behaviour and personality, complete various impulsivity computer tasks, and questionnaires regarding vaping craving. We are targetting specifically e-cigarette users who have NEVER smoked cigarettes. The full participant criteria can be found at the end of this post and on the information sheet. In order to ensure that we recieve the correct classification participants will initially be asked to do a 1 minute pre-screen and then shall be emailed the full survey link. Upon completion of the survey participants will be rewarded a £7.50 lovetoshop voucher as a thank you for your participation, this will be sent to the same email address.

It is important to note that participation is entirely voluntary, and participants can withdraw at any point of the experiment. After completing the experiment participants will be allowed to withdraw data until the 1st May 2023. All data collected will be confidential and anonymous, through the creating of a unique ID code. If you require more information regarding the experiment, please contact me on [email protected]. This study has been ethically approved by Leeds Beckett University (ethical approval number). If you are willing to let us advertise on your platform then please contact me on the above email address with consent to advertise.

Thank you for your time,

Best wishes

The Research Team

Participant classifcation:

- Use an e-cigarette a minimum of 10 vaping session a day AND/OR have a minimum of 100 puffs a day

- Used an e-cigarette for the above amount for at least 12 months

- Not smoked more than 10 cigarettes in your lifetime

- Additionally, participants must be aged 25-60, be a resident in the UK and fluent in English. Participants should not have a diganosis of an impulse control disorder or have suffered a brain injury. Furthermore, participants are asked to not consume alcohol for a minimum of 24 hours prior to completing the study.

Thank you to the Admin team for giving me permission to post my study on this site.

As mentioned in the post above I am currently recruiting a specific group of e-cigarette users for my PhD research investigating the role of impulsivity in e-cigarette, cigarette, dual, non, and ex-users.

As part of this research we are attempting to recruit a group of e-cigarette users who have never smoked cigarettes (i.e. did not smoke cigarettes prior to vaping e-cigarettes). The full participant classification is below:

- Use an e-cigarette a minimum of 10 vaping session a day AND/OR have a minimum of 100 puffs a day

- Used an e-cigarette for the above amount for at least 12 months

- Not smoked more than 10 cigarettes in your lifetime

- Additionally, participants must be aged 25-60, be a resident in the UK and fluent in English. Participants should not have a diagnosis of an impulse control disorder or have suffered a brain injury. Furthermore, participants are asked to not consume alcohol for a minimum of 24 hours prior to completing the study.

In order to ensure that we recruit just this sample and to save participants time we are asking all potential participants to complete a one minute pre-screening questionnaire which will ask you questions regarding your vaping and smoking behaviour and demographic questions. After completing this questionnaire we will email you within 7 days stating whether you are eligible to participate in the research or not. If you are eligible we will send you the main study link and after completing the main survey we will email you a £7.50 lovetoshop e-voucher as a thank you for participating in the research. This voucher will only be emailed after you have fully completed the main study and we have checked the data to ensure that it has been completed in full. Once you have been emailed the voucher (or once we have emailed stating you are not eligible to participate) we shall delete your email address from our records to ensure anonymity. Please note that you will not be emailed a voucher for just completing the pre-screen questionnaire.

If you are interested in participation please complete the pre-screen questionnaire using the link below:

https://leedsbeckettpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bpcJdlfs8cvEUF8

As a reminder we are only currently recruiting participants who currently vape e-cigarettes but have never smoked cigarettes.

We also kindly as participants to not submit multiple responses.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Best wishes,

The Research Team

"Additionally, e-cigarettes are being advertised and promoted as a smoking cessation aid, and therefore it is essential that more research is conducted to help inform us of how effective e-cigarettes are and allow researcher to develop more prevention and treatment aids."

"- Use an e-cigarette a minimum of 10 vaping session a day AND/OR have a minimum of 100 puffs a day"
Check.

"- Used an e-cigarette for the above amount for at least 12 months"
Check.

"- Not smoked more than 10 cigarettes in your lifetime"
HUH???

I was a heavy smoker for over 30 years, and I can tell you how effective e-cigarettes have been in keeping me from smoking tobacco - I completely stopped at the end of 2016, having been a heavy smoker for over 30 years.

But you only want to hear from people who never really smoked cigarettes at all????

I to smoked for forty plus years and gave up with the help from vaping.

Been off cigs for two and a half years now

"Additionally, e-cigarettes are being advertised and promoted as a smoking cessation aid, and therefore it is essential that more research is conducted to help inform us of how effective e-cigarettes are and allow researcher to develop more prevention and treatment aids."

"- Use an e-cigarette a minimum of 10 vaping session a day AND/OR have a minimum of 100 puffs a day"
Check.

"- Used an e-cigarette for the above amount for at least 12 months"
Check.

"- Not smoked more than 10 cigarettes in your lifetime"
HUH???

I was a heavy smoker for over 30 years, and I can tell you how effective e-cigarettes have been in keeping me from smoking tobacco - I completely stopped at the end of 2016, having been a heavy smoker for over 30 years.

But you only want to hear from people who never really smoked cigarettes at all????

yes, it seems a bit fishy to me too.

Hi there,

Thank you to the people who have completed the survey so far.

We have already recruited participants who are current vapers and ex-smokers. We are currently only recruiting people who have only ever vaped and never smoked in order for us to look at how impulsivity differs between non-users and users of only e-cigarettes. We may in the future look to recruit people who are ex-smokers in the next line of recruitment.

Thank you

The Research Team

Thank you for your reply,

We are aware this is quite a niche group to recruit which is why we are trying targeted recruitment strategies using online vaping forums and other online methods to find these potential participants.

Best wishes

The most bizarre entrant criteria, wording and clauses, I have even seen, for any study :hmm:

The pre questionnaire is absolutely mutant

Have you ever been diagnosed with an impulse control disorder?

For example: Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD/ADD), pathological gambling, compulsive buying, kleptomania, intermittent explosive disorder, pyromania

Back
Top Bottom