What's new

Would like to start to vape but very confused.

Hi and welcome to The Planet.

All good advice above, certainly better than what your friends told you (dual battery mods). Personally I stopped smoking using a cig-a-like for a whole month, it's the nicotine strength that matters to begin with. I started on 18mg and now vape 1mg.

My personal recommendation would be the Innokin T22 (if you can find one - advantage is a 4ml tank as opposed to a 2ml) or the TPD compliant T22E. The reasons are, ultra reliable, sheer simplicity of use - one button, no settings to worry about. Long battery life, easy to fill and to change coils.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Innokin-En...=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1502737157&sr=1-1

I'd take a look at the forums list of recommended juice vendors and get a few different ones to try.

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...of-trusted-e-liquid-hardware-suppliers.78467/

Wow, thank you so much everyone for getting back to me so promptly. Well, I guess it has to be between the Aspire Zelos and the T22e Innokin with the latter being, on average, £15.00 cheaper. Reading the specs of both models I would have a few more questions, I hope you guys will not mind. Would the fact that the Aspire has adjustable wattage up to 50 means that I would have the choice between MTL and DTL? Or are there two entirely different types of engineering behind the two smoking experiences? I certainly wouldn't mind to spend the extra money if I should get the option to decide what my vamping style is going to be from day 1. By your comments I also seem to understand that the tank is quite relevant in terms of quality and Nautilus 2 has popped up a few times, am I right to think so?
Thank you again for all your helpful replies

The Aspire Zelos is a regulated mod and will give you more options in the future, it can be used for MTL or DTL.

The Innokin is a one trick pony (MTL only) but it does what it does extremely well.

the T22 is fixed so cant be turned up or down.
the zelous is a regulated mod so can be used for both mtl and dtl. the nautilus 2 comes with a 1.8 coil for mtl at 9-12watts but also has a spare 0.7 coil for dtl which i think u can use about 20-25watts (ive not had a chance to try mine yet so can someone confirm the wattage).
as the mod is a 50watt mod it can also use quite a few other tanks. not the smok tanks or the crowns as they need a minimum of 50watts to get them going. another great tank if you can find one in the uk is the triton 2 which also takes 1.8 coils and also 0.5 or the kanger toptank mini.

Dont worry about nicotine, worry about smoking.

The T18 and T22 used to be the go to recommendation, but for me its been superceded by the Innokin T20 and Aspire Zelos kit.

Start off with some 12mg, if thats not working for you, try some 20mg nicotine salts, (dont worry about what that is for now) and if thats not working for you, usually means you want more sensation than nicotine and maybe time to move onto a more powerful device.

Good thing about the Aspire Zelos kit, you can slap a different tank on there.

Last edited:
If you're smoking 10/15 rollies a day and buying bagged tobacco in UK I'm assuming you're spending about £50-£60 pounds a month. When you first make the transition to vaping the costs may seem daunting. However, if you make wise decisions in the beginning, you'll soon learn that this is an investment that will prove to be less costly as time goes by. So no need to be afraid of spending a bit more initially.

Premade eliquids that can be bought at vape shops or online are very expensive. It is much cheaper to DIY(do it yourself). That will be another investment in equipment and eliquid concentrates but once you've got everything you need you'll begin to save money compared to smoking. It does matter how you purchase your eliquid concentrates as you may not necessarily like all of them. One way to solve this is to buy one or two packs of samples. On flavourart.co.uk you can buy a pack 5x4ml concentrates for £10.50. Their concentrates are very strong, you only need to use 3-5 percent of it. Making your own eliquid will obviously be a learning process but it is not difficult and it is very rewarding. No need to waste much time and money with ready made eliquids. Another thing worth noting is that mixing different concentrates together and coming out with spectacular results is not easy. IMO this is for patient, organised enthusiasts. You can however purchase blended concentrates or use highly rated recipes. Those are created by sincere vapers over a long period of time. They may not be exactly what you're looking for but they will likely not taste bad.

I have not had much luck with pre-made coils. I'd be a very happy vaper if one coil lasted me a week. But there are cheaper solutions to that too...

Many people were able to quit smoking through vaping, I see no reason why it shouldn't be the case with you as you have the desire to quit.

Welcome to the Planet @Francesco
I personally would recommend the Aspire Zelos kit, It's adjustable so in the future if you want to try a tank that requires a bit more power (Something like the Aspire Evo which is a Sub Ohm DTL tank) then you've got it there. 50w isn't terribly high considering there are mods out there now that go to 250w+ but it's more than enough for a new vaper and often enough for the "Average" vaper.
You will get solid advice on here, but do remember that most of the people on here are "Hobbyist" vapers - so if theres something you need clarified then just ask - occasionally we forget how bewildering all the terminology can be.
Dont forget to take advantage of the Discount codes, and also have at look at the recommended Vendors and Juices lists.
Flavour is a subjective thing so I won't recommend any individual flavours but will say that for Tobacco flavours then Manabush are an excellent choice - There are lots of fruit and bakery flavours around as well if they are to your liking as well as ones based on sweets or drinks...

As others have said, pick a 12 or 18mg juice if you decide to use an MTL kit like the Zelos or choose a lower strength if you go for a DTL (Clouds) kit. But try not to worry about your nicotine intake, just vape as you need to, many people find they vape a lot more in the first few weeks then settle into a rythmn - Just vape as you feel necessary and remember every cig you DON'T smoke is a victory - and if you really, really need a ciggy then have one, don't beat yourself up about it and just carry on, I dual fuelled for a while and found it took a couple of weeks to get rid of the Morning and Evening ciggies but managed to get the rest out of the way in just a couple of days...

I'm not trying to be rude or anything here. Just mentioning this for your consideration. Vaping can become a serious hobby. Is your interest to ONLY quit smoking? If so, the T18/22 might be your best route. From what I've heard/read, they're fine set-ups for this.
If you think you might want to get into it, aspire might be a good starting point for you.

First and foremost welcome to the forum and good on ya for considering vaping. Life is precious and it's not worth paying big tobacco big sums of money for them to kill you slowly.

I have recently bought the aspire nautilus 2 and I have also just bought the Innokin T20 for my wife. Both are fantastic choices. For me personally the nautilus 2 wins so the Aspire Zelos is what I would recommend as others already have. But they're both great so you can't go far wrong. If you want versatility and to be able to adjust to personal taste the aspire wins. If you don't want to change anything and want to just turn on and vape with zero thought then the T20.

I gave up cigs for vaping back in February. To cut a long story short I too wanted to drop nic as quick as possible, but the first stumbling block is letting go of the cigs. Don't worry about reducing nic yet.
I now have two Aspire Zelos kits and a couple of extra Nautilus 2 tanks so I can switch flavours. I probably wouldn't sub ohm with it, but the N2 tanks have an adjustable vent that allows more air through, although to start with you'd probably like a tighter cig type draw. So you will have a bit of variation.
At 1 point I did use the 0.7ohm coils to get the extra flavour.
Flavours normally cause a problem. I struggled to get much taste mainly because my taste buds were shot through smoking. Ry4 has helped me, as has Red Astaire.
My biggest battle was forgetting cigs. I had no confidence in vaping when I bought my first kit. When the cravings started I wanted to smoke. I kept some cigarrettes in the car for that 'just in case' moment. But because they were accessible, they got smoked.
Once I was left with vaping to cure the cravings it took about 6 weeks before I stopped thinking 'cigarrette'. I can't say I was enjoying vaping at that point, but it was keeping me off the ciggies.
To today, I'm enjoying the vaping a bit now as I'm starting to taste a bit more. The shed load of flavours I bought that I couldn't taste have become decent vapes.
I believe if I can give up with the Zelos, then anybody can. It's just the flavours you need to experiment with

Thank you so much for sharing with me your incredible expertise, I feel like I'm in a totally different place in comparison to when I have asked for your help. Thanks to your individual experiences, which you have kindly shared, I have no longer doubts. I will buy an Aspire Zelos and I will also purchase a spare thank to switch flavours and nicotine strength in relation to need. Soon I will probably buy the necessary items to try STL, by the sound of things is going to be a pretty satisfying experience.
Again, thank you for giving up your time to come to my aid and I would love to get back to this thread to let you know about my progress.
Take care for now,
Francesco

Back
Top Bottom