What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

worried about the Popcorn Lung diacetyl rumour (please read)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say this is something people that don't vape will always mention. I've had to explain this time and time again. Good post for the newer vapers just beginning their journey!

Scary shit.. i admit.. i was scared after reading the title
i thought the same a couple of years ago as i much prefer custard with diacetyl and still have some i save for special occoasions.
now with all the research done there is nothing to worry about so vape on and enjoy.

I just started writing a regular vape related blog, nothing super fancy but my most recent is about vaping myths - gonna be part of a regular 'cloud busting' series. This is my take on the Popcorn lung fiasco....

Sorry about the messy formatting and hopefully my clicky links will work and please feel free to to delete, if it's not appropriate - I'm not trying to promote myself, just thought it would be an amusing but factual addition to this very good thread. Thanks to @MrDJ x

Cloud Busting logo.jpg

This week:

Popcorn Lung – Not as tasty as it sounds?

Passive Vaping - Attack of the killer second hand doughnut scented clouds?

Dripping Evils – New and dangerous vaping trend?

Vaping can cause popcorn lung

Sounds nasty right? Popcorn lung refers to a respiratory condition called bronchiolitis obliterans, the slang ‘popcorn’ might have you thinking that your lungs turn into something resembling Butterkist, but bronchiolitis obliterans is actually a form of scarring to the airways in the lungs reducing their capacity to convey air. The reference to popcorn comes from a 2002 report regarding eight cases of the incurable lung condition diagnosed in people who had worked in a Missouri popcorn factory between 1992 and 2000 and had inhaled unsafe amounts of the chemical Diacetyl, a buttery flavouring often used in popcorn manufacture.

So where does vaping come into this? In August 2016 a bunch of irresponsible click-bait websites published a story about how e-cigarettes could cause popcorn lung alongside gruesome pictures of an unfortunate man in hospital breathing through a tube, and sporting a badly injured face and mouth. People assumed the man pictured was suffering from this nasty lung disease, panic stations were at red alert, and all hell broke loose. What the sites failed to say was that the man in question was suffering injuries inflicted after the battery in his e-cig device exploded. Furthermore, the cause of the accident was user error, not through any fault in the device or battery.

However, the story was picked up by more mainstream media who immediately linked it to a 2015 report on flavourings in e-juice in which it was found that many sweet e-juices contained more Diacetyl than was strictly necessary or safe. Worrying, it would seem so BUT what the media stories failed to mention was that the presence of Diacetyl in e-juice was no big secret within vaping. The 2015 report by Dr Konstantinos Farsalinos (an advocate of scientific research into the effects of vaping and e-cigarettes) had already been brought to the attention of the vaping industry and been acted on accordingly.

So even before the press and members of the anti-vape lobby had started bawling for e-cig regulations, most e-juice manufacturers had already started to reduce (or completely remove) Diacetyl in their e-liquid flavourings in an act of self regulation. Furthermore, in amongst all of the media hate aimed at vaping, no one seemed to be interested in the fact that cigarettes contain an amount of Diacetyl far in excess of any e-liquid. One cigarette is estimated to contain as much or more Diacetyl than you would inhale in a full day of vaping, and considering that, most e-liquids are now Diacetyl free anyway, you might think that the media may have thought to include that buttery nugget of information. The scandalmongers also forgot to mention that the symptoms presented by bronchiolitis obliterans are very similar to those of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder (COPD), a condition commonly attributed to smoking, leading to the question of how many smokers have seemingly died because of COPD when they may have actually been suffering from bronchiolitis.

Screenshot_2.jpg

Thus far, no diagnosis of bronchiolitis obliterans has ever been directly linked to vaping, and seeing as it is a disease with a quick onset rate, the chances are that if there was any such link there would have been at least one case identified by now.

So, popcorn lung – there may be a kernel of truth buried away in this horror story - ‘kernel’ heh - see what I did there? But awful puns aside, I am calling this myth well and truly busted!

Onto the next....

Scary shit.. i admit.. i was scared after reading the title
I ordered a few bottles of Flawless from one vendor.
Another vendor is telling me that the Flawless gives stomach issues and operation is required to cure illness. I'm scared still lol.

its true though.....if you drink it. vaping it is safe so total rubish from said vendor.
never tried flawless but plenty love it on here and they are still here :)

its true though.....if you drink it. vaping it is safe so total rubish from said vendor.
never tried flawless but plenty love it on here and they are still here :)
Phew, thank you for easing my mind Jim! :gaming2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom