What's new

worried about the Popcorn Lung diacetyl rumour (please read)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we see the proof of these 8 cases then?
as stated.. 6 confirmed from 1 popcorn factory. Google it
2 unconfirmed.
Now since this popcorn lung hype has been ongoing for the past 3 years, and has been concluded to be nothing more that a scare tactic and click bait article, it really should be a non issue now. Even if you discount 2 unconfirmed, 6/8 billion is hardly high risk.

Last edited:
as stated.. 6 confirmed from 1 popcorn factory. Google it
2 unconfirmed.
Now since this popcorn lung hype has been ongoing for the past 3 years, and has been concluded to be nothing more that a scare tactic and click bait article, it really should be a non issue now. Even if you discount 2 unconfirmed, 6/8 billion is hardly high risk.
The problem here though is that "popcorn lung" - Bronchiolitis obliterans (etc) - can look like many different things. COPD for example. Aspergillus lung infections. So on and so on.

So, for the conspiracy theorists out there; maybe big tobacco/pharma has been hiding popcorn lung for years? Lol [emoji38]

In reality, medical science is only catching up now to the shit we have done to ourselves.

The problem here though is that "popcorn lung" - Bronchiolitis obliterans (etc) - can look like many different things. COPD for example. Aspergillus lung infections. So on and so on.

So, for the conspiracy theorists out there; maybe big tobacco/pharma has been hiding popcorn lung for years? Lol [emoji38]

In reality, medical science is only catching up now to the shit we have done to ourselves.
Correct. Bronchiolitis obliterans are caused my many factors, however when we discuss popcorn lung, only diacetyl is taken into consideration as a factor. And except for those 6 popcorn factory workers, there are really only 2 unconfirmed cases, one case was where a person ate 2 bags of microwave popcorn a day for 20 years.. I dont see how eating popcorn would affect your lungs.. but there it is.

The rumour is five of them were bathing in diacetyl on a weekly basis.

Who doesn't? As a skin-care expert, the microparticles and nanoballs lend a vibrancy to ones complexion that no other products can deliver.

The actual facts are 6 confirmed cases from 1 area of 1 popcorn factory and none of those affected wore face masks. 2 other cases were never confirmed. If popcorn lung were a problem, just think of all the teenagers working in movie theaters selling buttered popcorn that would have popcorn lung. As it is, even counting the 2 non confirmed cases, you are looking at 1 in a BILLION odds of getting popcorn lung. Even less if you exclude anyone NOT working in a popcorn factory. So basically 0 of 7.999,999,994 (8 billion minus 6) As it is, if i remember.. there were aprox 350 workers in that factory *aprox as my memory of what i read 2 years ago isn't 100%* so 6/350 is still only a bit over 2%.

Great post:) there’s far to many vape haters out there, I didn’t know the facts and I’ve been vaping for years. Thanks again, I can think of a few people to share this with

As of 20th May 2017 the full implementation of the Tobacco Product Directive (TPD) will take effect and all liquids will have to be tested and sold in a maximum size bottle of 10ml (except for zero nicotine).
im guessing you will still see illegal sales on market stalls and ebay which are best avoided.

this still doesnt stop the weekly posts by new members worried about the reports theve read on facebook and some news reports about Popcorn Lung and the dreaded Diacetyl which used to be in certain cream/custard flavors. sadly once its been posted on the internet it stays there for life and keeps getting bumped up by unsuspecting do gooders who think they are doing us a faver. sadly they are not.

panic not as this is old news and since it first serfaced almost 2 years ago there has been much research and this has now been debunked.

a little history.
popcorn lung as far as ive read was first aired back in the 1940's in popcorn factories where workers were mixing hot vats of popcorn for 8 hours a day. in some cases it casued a condition which was named as popcorn lung (bronchiolitis obliterans). it has also been mentioned that it has affected some workers (8 people) who mix and package flavored microwave-popcorn but now health and safety is a leading role in any buisiness masks and goggles are now being used for many years and air filtration fans are used so this will be a thing of the past.

now the facts we know of.
a single cigarette has more diacetyl in it than the worst found cases of diacetyl in e liquid.
not one person in the world has died from popcorn lung who smokes cigarettes.

so panic not as its pure scaremongering at its best.

warning on the video. our Vic uses some strong language at times.

View attachment 126921
View attachment 149306

Thanks for posting!

Tobacco is a good business, and they try to keep a bjg profit. Anotherr big problem is some of the people doesn't search, easier to follow the sheeps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom