What's new

worried about the Popcorn Lung diacetyl rumour (please read)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My take on this would be that the popcorn lung debacle probably isn't as "doomy" as they make it out to be , And this thread makes a few interesting points .

To play devils advocate though some might say that if you search enough you can find information to back up any claim , And with this being a pro vape environment (A vaping forum) It's pretty obvious most are pro vaping here.

Not necessarily my point of view. Just coming at it from both angles. Most coming here are already vaping so ...

My take on this would be that the popcorn lung debacle probably isn't as "doomy" as they make it out to be , And this thread makes a few interesting points .

To play devils advocate though some might say that if you search enough you can find information to back up any claim , And with this being a pro vape environment (A vaping forum) It's pretty obvious most are pro vaping here.

Not necessarily my point of view. Just coming at it from both angles. Most coming here are already vaping so ...
There has never been a recorded case of popcorn lung found in a smoker & cigarettes contain 900 times the amount of diactyl.
This is fact, no need to be selective on which bit of research you wish to portray as the truth.

of course you can find information out there that will back up the claim BUT that is the info that was released BEFORE it was totally debunked by the experts.
ive said it before and id say it again every single piece of research is still out there on the net and once a report is found to be fake or totally false it still stays on the net for people to read and this is why we still get asked weekly about PL.

just for example, there are still the reports out there that say diesel cars are much safer for the environment than petrol cars which we now know has been turned around and diesel is now the evil one but the report are still there for the world to read.

I would advise caution with this as it may lead people to believe e cigs are the silver bullet completely safe , And that likely isn't true , ~I don't know how safe or not they are i don't think anyone does truly research is being done on it , All we do really know is or atleast the general belief amongst experts is its safer then smoking .

But for a long time people thought smoking was safe.

btw these are only my personal views and my take on the subject, Just telling you what i personally think , Not trying to offend anyone.

Last edited:
I would advise caution with this as it may lead people to believe e cigs are the silver bullet completely safe , And that likely isn't true , ~I don't know how safe or not they are i don't think anyone does truly research is being done on it , All we do really know is or atleast the general belief amongst experts is its safer then smoking .

btw these are only my personal views and my take on the subject, Just telling you what i personally think , Not trying to offend anyone.
Nobody is saying vaping is 100%. This thread is about popcorn lung & the current evidence points to the chances of getting popcorn lung are 900 times greater for a smoker than a vaper. To keep perpetuating the story that vaping causes PL is just feeding the anti vape brigade.

for the majority of us we all smoked. i smoked 20-30 a day for 37 years starting with my first cig when i was 11.
i smoked capstan full strength for a while.
we know cigs kill. i lost my dad and 4 of his sisters to cancer. i continued to smoke.
when i started e cigs 4 years ago i was vaping diacetyl all day every day in my custards. i still am 4 years later.
with the dangerous medication im on for arthritis which kills my immune system i have had a 100% clear bill of health with my lungs from every chest xray ive had since. every doctor has said its the best think id done.
even if ecigs were only 50% safer its still safer. as they have been for the past 3 years classed as 95% safer then ill take my chances. otherwise i would be smoking again.

and no, people didnt always believe smoking was safe. they glamorized it to make sales plain and simple. then the addiction took over the risk of knowing what could be just around the corner.

As of 20th May 2017 the full implementation of the Tobacco Product Directive (TPD) will take effect and all liquids will have to be tested and sold in a maximum size bottle of 10ml (except for zero nicotine).
im guessing you will still see illegal sales on market stalls and ebay which are best avoided.

this still doesnt stop the weekly posts by new members worried about the reports theve read on facebook and some news reports about Popcorn Lung and the dreaded Diacetyl which used to be in certain cream/custard flavors. sadly once its been posted on the internet it stays there for life and keeps getting bumped up by unsuspecting do gooders who think they are doing us a faver. sadly they are not.

panic not as this is old news and since it first serfaced almost 2 years ago there has been much research and this has now been debunked.

a little history.
popcorn lung as far as ive read was first aired back in the 1940's in popcorn factories where workers were mixing hot vats of popcorn for 8 hours a day. in some cases it casued a condition which was named as popcorn lung (bronchiolitis obliterans). it has also been mentioned that it has affected some workers (8 people) who mix and package flavored microwave-popcorn but now health and safety is a leading role in any buisiness masks and goggles are now being used for many years and air filtration fans are used so this will be a thing of the past.

now the facts we know of.
a single cigarette has more diacetyl in it than the worst found cases of diacetyl in e liquid.
not one person in the world has died from popcorn lung who smokes cigarettes.

so panic not as its pure scaremongering at its best.

warning on the video. our Vic uses some strong language at times.

View attachment 126921
View attachment 149306

Just going to add.. there have been 8 reported cases of popcorn lung, 6 verified. Now out of the world population of about 8 billion people, that is one chance in a billion of getting popcorn lung from any source.
The odds of being struck (by lightning) in your lifetime is 1 in 3,000
and a person's chance of getting killed by a shark is less than 1 in 264.1 million.
and 25 things more likely to kill you than a shark...
https://pureoldies941.com/news/25-shocking-things-more-likely-to-kill-you-than-a-shark/

Now 1 in a billion sounds like pretty good odds, doesn't it?

Just going to add.. there have been 8 reported cases of popcorn lung, 6 verified. Now out of the world population of about 8 billion people, that is one chance in a billion of getting popcorn lung from any source.
The odds of being struck (by lightning) in your lifetime is 1 in 3,000
and a person's chance of getting killed by a shark is less than 1 in 264.1 million.
and 25 things more likely to kill you than a shark...
https://pureoldies941.com/news/25-shocking-things-more-likely-to-kill-you-than-a-shark/

Now 1 in a billion sounds like pretty good odds, doesn't it?

Can we see the proof of these 8 cases then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom