What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Worried about Battery exploding (Li-ion 18365)

Seraphim

Initiate
Hi, first of all sorry if this is in the wrong section. I couldn't find any section specifically to do with batteries.

I'm a long time vaper now, I don't mod much, stick to pretty basic things. I'm using a VooPoo Drag 2.0(With the Prince V12 tank+0.4 coil). Bought the e cig and the batteries in question 25th December 2018.

I have two sets of batteries

2x Li-ion(green wrapping if it makes a difference, bought 25th Dec 2018) model I believe is 18365, but it could be possibly 18650 (any further reference to batteries means these).
As you can imagine, the green plastic wrapping was getting worn at the end and was no longer in great condition or good condition by any means.

2x Li-ion(brown wrapping but seem fine, no issue)

I charge my batteries using the nitecore v4 charger. However for around 5 months I was charging the batteries using the usb port on the VooPoo Drag.

Today I put the fully charged batteries in and put it in my pocket, went for a walk. 15minutes later I took it and the e cig was not on, I open the cover as maybe I just put the batteries in wrong(which I did not), one of them is extremely hot, starting to smoke at the positive end and is burning orange colour on one corner. I immediately took them out and did not use them again. Since then I've disposed of them safely.

I very much know I did the right thing, but is it a simple case that I should have replaced the batteries earlier?(maybe as soon as the wrapping is slightly faulty) or does it just happen with these types of batteries?

Is my VooPoo Drag 2.0 still safe to use? maybe it is at fault? I seem to have no problem with using my other batteries right now, during the burning described above, one node did get slightly burned but nothing lasting on there.

I'm really just looking for some advice - I know extremely little apart from basic safety rules regarding these types of batteries. I would like to make sure it will not explode in my pocket and harm myself or anyone else!

Very glad to hear you caught it in time..

It sounds like the wrap damage may have allowed a short circuit to occur? perhaps against the mod shell?

If the wrap starts to show any signs of snagging/pulling, its a wise precaution to rewrap asap, the shrink sleeves can be bought for pennies and can save your life..

its 18650 btw 18 for 18mm diameter and 650 for 650mm in length now you know you wont forget ;) perhaps?

if you take a peek the separation between the positive pole and the negative body of the battery is tiny, its the wrap that provides All the insulation only exposing the base negative terminal.

grab some funky 18650 wraps from fasttech or your favorite portal ;)

Back
Top Bottom