What's new

Watts, Volts, amps, and safe vaping

levi1197

Initiate
Hello everyone. ,
I'm new to POTV, so apologies if I have posted this incorrectly or something, but I'm in need of some sound advice, either to confirm or correct me when it comes to battery safety, and to answer a couple of questions.

I 1st started vaping properly around a year ago, I bought a kangertech subox mini relatively cheap, and was using 0.5 SSOCC, with a single 18560 samsung 25r battery. Amps were something I had not really come across, and uses a regulated device I assumed at the power I was vaping, this was safe.

I recently decided to upgrade to a Smok Alien in search of higher power vaping.

A quick question regarding this device, it is also beneficial to my overall query, does anyone know if this device is dual series or parallel?

The Alien kit came with a 0.4 dual coil, and 0.15 octuple coil, I am currently using the 0.4 and will be switching to the 0.15 when the 0.4 is done, and continuing to use them, or possibly the 0.2 t6 coil.

Going back to my question regarding the type of battery connection for this device, if I am not mistaken, a dual series connection, will double my voltage (MAX - 8.4 (SAMSUNG 25R) MIN - 5.6(Smok cut off is 2.8)), as opposed to 4.2 and 2.8?

Where as a parallel connection will only increase capacity, and amps?

It’s a series bud. But calculating amp draw on a regulated mod is much different to ohms law, although it doesn’t hurt to be up on that too.

Have a read of this:
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/b...attery-current-draw-for-a-regulated-mod.7532/

And the Alien will display the amps on the screen. This isn’t what it’s taking from your cells, it’s what it’s sending to the atty.

In short, if it fires it on a regulated then it’s ok for the most part. But things do go wrong so being aware ain’t no bad thing.

And you asked the same question many have already in exactly the right place. [emoji6]

Hello everyone. ,
I'm new to POTV, so apologies if I have posted this incorrectly or something, but I'm in need of some sound advice, either to confirm or correct me when it comes to battery safety, and to answer a couple of questions.

I 1st started vaping properly around a year ago, I bought a kangertech subox mini relatively cheap, and was using 0.5 SSOCC, with a single 18560 samsung 25r battery. Amps were something I had not really come across, and uses a regulated device I assumed at the power I was vaping, this was safe.

I recently decided to upgrade to a Smok Alien in search of higher power vaping.

A quick question regarding this device, it is also beneficial to my overall query, does anyone know if this device is dual series or parallel?

The Alien kit came with a 0.4 dual coil, and 0.15 octuple coil, I am currently using the 0.4 and will be switching to the 0.15 when the 0.4 is done, and continuing to use them, or possibly the 0.2 t6 coil.

Going back to my question regarding the type of battery connection for this device, if I am not mistaken, a dual series connection, will double my voltage (MAX - 8.4 (SAMSUNG 25R) MIN - 5.6(Smok cut off is 2.8)), as opposed to 4.2 and 2.8?

Where as a parallel connection will only increase capacity, and amps?

I believe, but need to confirmation, that the Smok Alien is infact dual series configuration.

As I also believe, in a regulated mod, you have both POWER IN, and POWER OUT. Power in is supposedly the power being draw from the batteries, and power out is the power being supplied to the atomizer via the regulator.

Correct me if im wrong, but power in can be calculated by dividing power by volts, to give you amps. I = P / V

Now, ill use the Smok V8 baby T8 0.15 octuple coil as an example, its wattage range is 50w to 110w, ill probably be looking to use this coil at a maximum of 90 watts(maybe less, ive never vaped that high and wont know until I try).

Upon visiting steam engine, I input my data into the battery drain section, If the Alien has dual series configuration, where it says battery voltage I input the minimum voltage? which would be the cut off of the battery(alien cuts off at 2.8v), x2 correct? Meaning 5.6v? (I never let my batteries get any lower than 25%) So at a maximum of 90 watts, and a minimum of 5.6v, this would give me a power input of 17.86amps correct? (including 90% efficiency)
100w / 5.6v = 17.86amps

A parallel configuration would give a draw current of 35.71 amps?
100w / 2.8v + 35.71 amps?
The 35.71 amps being split between two batteries for 17.855 amps each?

Are my calculations correct for either configuration, and which one applies to me? Series or dual?

I know this is the POWER IN, now I have questions about POWER OUT, on the same set up for both configurations, the regulator will provide my 0.15 atomizer with 90w of power, 3.67 v and 24.49 amps, and this is what displays on my screen(voltage and amps differ slighty).

I am aware that my batteries are only pulling 17.86 amps, not the 24.49 which are being supplied to the coil, so they are well in range if my calculations are correct, but my question is, what are these amps output amps displayed for? Is there a limit for the amps that can be supplied to a coil, or is the wattage range the only important factor? Is a POWER OUT of 24.49 to my coil safe is my question?

Just to recap and simplify.

Is the Smok Alien Dual Series configuration, or dual parallel configuration?

Is it correct that a dual series configuration would give double the voltage, but the amps would remain the same? Example: 2 x 25r 18650 - 2.5V - 4.2V in a dual series configuration would make voltage 5V-8.4V but max discharge would remain at 20A?

POWER IN is calculated by dividing power, with voltage?
Example:
100W / 8.4V = 11.9047619048 AMPS
(not including device efficiency.) (2X Samsung 25R) for dual series configuration

or 100W / 4.2V = 23.8095238095 AMPS
(not including device efficiency)(2X Samsung 25R) for dual parallel configuration

Is a rate of POWER OUT of 24.49 Amps safe in this setup or is it completely irrelevant to a safe vaping experience and does not exceed any of the coils limitations as long as I stay within the recommended range??
Example:
100W would provide my Smok V8 Baby T8 0.15 (40w-110w) coil (POWER OUT) with 3.67 Volts, 24.49 Amps, and 90 Watts (including device efficiency).
100W at 5.8V (Alien cut off/Min battery power) would pull (POWER IN) 17.24 Amps and 100 Watts.

Can that coil handle that many amps, or is it just the wattage that counts?

Thankyou for taking the time to read this and I really hope one of you can help with my queries.

Levi

Sent OP by accident before I'd finished.

It’s a series bud. But calculating amp draw on a regulated mod is much different to ohms law, although it doesn’t hurt to be up on that too.

Have a read of this:
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/b...attery-current-draw-for-a-regulated-mod.7532/

And the Alien will display the amps on the screen. This isn’t what it’s taking from your cells, it’s what it’s sending to the atty.

In short, if it fires it on a regulated then it’s ok for the most part. But things do go wrong so being aware ain’t no bad thing.

And you asked the same question many have already in exactly the right place. [emoji6]
Thanks for your quick reply pal, had actually posted by accident before I'd finished properly, by time i'd finished you'd already commented, rapid lol.

cheers pal

yeah, the possible voltage output is regulated by the board and electronics, not really anything to do with the cells. series/parallel is not something you need to think about either, it really doesn't matter in a regulated mod.

yeah, the possible voltage output is regulated by the board and electronics, not really anything to do with the cells. series/parallel is not something you need to think about either, it really doesn't matter in a regulated mod.
Okay thankyou. I'm just very safety conscious lol

Okay thankyou. I'm just very safety conscious lol

Which is good ...... but you need to be doing the correct and relevant maths. The only thing you need to worry about is battery current.

Just watch this

Which is good ...... but you need to be doing the correct and relevant maths. The only thing you need to worry about is battery current.

Just watch this

Thanks Simon! This had made things clear for me!

Back
Top Bottom