What's new

Understanding ohms and wattage for new RDA user

Mike_1980

Postman
Hi,

I’m looking to get the ‘Profile’ RDA to use on my Nunchaku mod due to it being a single coil RDA and the mod being a single 18650 battery.

I’ve done a bit of reading around and people have suggested getting coils around the .3 or .4 region which is fine, but here’s my questions:

A) how do I know a safe wattage to vape at as RDA coils don’t have a recommended wattage?! Or do I just stay within the limits of my battery, say a Sony VTC5A and not go over 65w?

B) Another reason for me getting the Profile is that it would give me the option to use the Mesh coil that comes with it. This coil does have a recommended wattage which is between 40-60w which is perfect for my vaping needs, but the mesh is a .18 coil?! Is that safe to use as people have recommended that I don’t go below .3 due to my mod being a single battery.

I’m not even sure if it makes sense what I’m asking, but any advice would be great

A is the answer, sort of....

the reason people are recommending higher resistance coils is that they generally need less power to get a decent vape... less power so within the limits of the cell and of course better battery life on a single cell mod.

If you can get a good vape off the mesh at 40w the fact is has a resistance of 0.18 is irrelevant.

I never worry too much about recommended wattage.
Start low, and work your way up. I can be happy at 40w and read about others using similar coils at 80w.
Who cares, as long as you are enjoying the vape?
If you are using a regulated mod you won't go BANG! :D

Strange thing the Profile. On regulated I can't get much above 45w before it's too hot for me yet on an unregulated squonk, fresh battery, it's fine. Thing is, according to Steamengine these ohms pull 22A plus & 98w but it doesn't feel like it. I know sag kicks in when you fire but even at a nominal 3.7v it should still be pulling 76+w. This is what battery drain is saying.
2018-10-21.png
Better dig out the 30Q's :confused:

Strange thing the Profile. On regulated I can't get much above 45w before it's too hot for me yet on an unregulated squonk, fresh battery, it's fine. Thing is, according to Steamengine these ohms pull 22A plus & 98w but it doesn't feel like it. I know sag kicks in when you fire but even at a nominal 3.7v it should still be pulling 76+w. This is what battery drain is saying.
View attachment 176006
Better dig out the 30Q's :confused:

Is that using the mesh or just a regular coil?

Flavour on the Profile with mesh is great, up there with best I use. I began using it on a regulated squonk & found flavour best between 45-50w, any lower it became too cool for me but above too hot. The biggest issue I had was getting rewicking right. The supplied cotton is great but it's a thirsty RDA. I now use Cotton Bacon Prime or Fuzz & as long as you get plenty in there's no issues. You'll soon know it's not right because a dry hit on mesh is like no other.
I have 2 in use all the time now because it's giving me different levels of flavour I don't get on other kit. Not necessarily better but different. On Welsh Custard I get a sweeter taste but on a Supreme I get creamy. Bit difficult to explain but it reveals other flavours in the same juice that you didn't know were there.
There's some good advice in he Wotofo section regarding wicking excetera.
The only thing I will say is you'll be constantly dripping if you don't have a squonk on it because you do need to keep the wick soaked. Don't be afraid to fill up to the airholes, it'll get soaked up before you put the cap back on the bottle :D. I can do 6-8ml juice in 30 min :)2.

Flavour on the Profile with mesh is great, up there with best I use. I began using it on a regulated squonk & found flavour best between 45-50w, any lower it became too cool for me but above too hot. The biggest issue I had was getting rewicking right. The supplied cotton is great but it's a thirsty RDA. I now use Cotton Bacon Prime or Fuzz & as long as you get plenty in there's no issues. You'll soon know it's not right because a dry hit on mesh is like no other.
I have 2 in use all the time now because it's giving me different levels of flavour I don't get on other kit. Not necessarily better but different. On Welsh Custard I get a sweeter taste but on a Supreme I get creamy. Bit difficult to explain but it reveals other flavours in the same juice that you didn't know were there.
There's some good advice in he Wotofo section regarding wicking excetera.
The only thing I will say is you'll be constantly dripping if you don't have a squonk on it because you do need to keep the wick soaked. Don't be afraid to fill up to the airholes, it'll get soaked up before you put the cap back on the bottle :D. I can do 6-8ml juice in 30 min :)2.

That’s some really good info. Cheers mate

Sorry, where would I find the Wotofo thread?

Back
Top Bottom