What's new

T18e Coils - high percentage of faulty/leaky/floody ones...?

ostrichpelican

Initiate
Hi,

Only been vaping about a month or so now, after buying an Endura T18e. When it works, the thing's great, but I've had many problems with coils gurgling/spitting/flooding, tank leaking....

Have googled extensively, have tried all suggestions, and am pretty sure I'm not making any schooolboy errors when filling tank/changing coil.

However it just seems like a fairly high percentage of coils are faulty - the ones that work give no problem, and seem to last around a week before starting to taste a burnt. But almost half the coils I've put in so far have flooded immediately, and continued to leak no matter what I try (shaking, blowing, q-tips etc etc). Only way to fix is to change coil again, and then - if it's a good one - no problems. I've found a lot of threads about these Innokin tanks leaking, but I'd say the device itself is fine - the problem is the quality-control on the coils!

I've also dissected a used coil to try and figure out exactly what's going on - and it strikes me that if the cotton isn't perfectly placed, the e-juice is just going to get straight thru the holes in the metal coil casing. This is presumably why some flood immediately?

Just to ward off the obvious replies, I'm not getting any juice in centre-hole, I have checked o-rings (and replaced, just to make sure), I am using appropriate e-juice, I'm not inhaling too fast, I'm not storing device on it's side, and the coils I'm using are verified genuine.

Anyway, because of this, I'm now looking to move to a different device - one that's more reliable, and has better quality control on it's coils!!

Does anyone have similar experience with T18e coils? Or anyone strongly disagree that almost half are faulty?? I'd love to find out this was a user error, as when it works it's great - but right now, it's just too unreliable due to the fact that every time I change a coil it seems to be a lottery as to whether or not the coil will immediately flood....

Hi and welcome to the Planet

what ratio of VG/PG juice are you using.
cant help much as never used a T18 but ive had a few tanks in three years that flood and get the same effects your having. the only thing i can do is remove the coil and wrap in kiching towel to soak up most of the juice then put it back in and try again. the main culprit for me was the cleito tank.

there are plenty on here that use that mod so best wait for other owners to reply.

we can certainly point you in the right direction of other decent kits but lets see if others can solve this first.

Hi and welcome to the Planet

what ratio of VG/PG juice are you using.
cant help much as never used a T18 but ive had a few tanks in three years that flood and get the same effects your having. the only thing i can do is remove the coil and wrap in kiching towel to soak up most of the juice then put it back in and try again. the main culprit for me was the cleito tank.

there are plenty on here that use that mod so best wait for other owners to reply.

we can certainly point you in the right direction of other decent kits but lets see if others can solve this first.

VG/PG ratio - mainly 50/50 - tried a couple that were 40/60 or 60/40.

And thanks for offer of advice re new kit - I'm definitely after a 2nd device (possibly the
Aspire Zelos, or similar)
even if I can solve my T18 problems - but yes, I want to get a better idea what's going on with my T18 first - I do hope it's something I'm doing wrong, but it really seems like some coils just are no good - in which case, this becomes a main consideration in choosing any new device - e.g. something where replacement coils are more reliable!

VG/PG ratio - mainly 50/50 - tried a couple that were 40/60 or 60/40.

And thanks for offer of advice re new kit - I'm definitely after a 2nd device (possibly the
Aspire Zelos, or similar)
even if I can solve my T18 problems - but yes, I want to get a better idea what's going on with my T18 first - I do hope it's something I'm doing wrong, but it really seems like some coils just are no good - in which case, this becomes a main consideration in choosing any new device - e.g. something where replacement coils are more reliable!
i think the T18 is more in the range of sub ohm teritory so 70vg might be better as 50/50 is quite thin.
scrap that. just checked and its 14watts with a 1.5 coil so best with 50/50

I think it's bad batches of coils, myself and my mate have experienced this with Kanger Coils (especially ones that just flood from the get go, tried everything with them and nothing works)

First thing I would suggest is try buying your coils from somewhere else and see if things improve.

I would say nautilus coils are the most consistent overall but I've had duff packets of those too where only 2 of the 5 were any good.... but that's rare.

I always found Innokin coils to be pretty good with just the occasional bad one.

Although they do recommend a 50/50 or 60/40 ratio I used to use 70/30 without any issues. Just don't try chaining on a cold tank.

Sounds like duff coils it is! Maybe I've just been unlucky - of course there may be something wrong with the actual device, but I doubt it as some coils give no problems, some just flood, and I'm sure I'm not doing anything different each time.

btw I did persevere with the last coil I put in, which started out flooded - shook/blew it out, held down fire button without drawing a few times, pretty much cured the flood, but it's definitely spitting/gurgling more than some coils I've had in. It is frustrating that any given coil could be bad, or less than perfect, but if people are saying that this should be rare, then I'll stick with it, and try a different batch.

And just to clarify, the problem I'm talking about is not so much that the coil occasionally gurgles a bit, or condensation builds up etc - I understand this sort of thing happens in any setup. But some coils have just flooded immediately, even with device left upright after filling - the juice just seems to have gone straight thru the holes in the wick casing, and leaks out of the lower air holes and into battery connection. I'm pretty sure it's not leaking thru the lower o-ring, so it has to be going thru the coil itself (plus juice in battery connection would confirm this, right?)

One thing I wonder if I might have done wrong is when filling: though I'm carefully putting it down the sides, maybe the tip of the juice bottle was right next to a hole, pushing some juice thru into the dry coil? And maybe this is less likely to happen once the coil's been soaked in, and cotton expanded? As once I've got a coil working, I've had no problems with flooding after topping up juice - it's only ever happened immediately after changing coils. I read a tip to hold the tank at an angle, like filling a pint glass at a tap, to make the juice run down the sides of the tank, and not so much downthe casing of the coil where the holes are - so am trying this from now on. Any thoughts?

Never used the 18 but wifey has the 20 and haven't had a bad coil yet. On the contrary, they've all been superb. I'd rate them much higher than the nautilus coils. A lot more cotton and much bigger wicking ports.

Surprising. I have been using the T18 and 22 for 4 months with no bad coils. They also seem to last for a very long time. I also have the Zelos with Nautilus 2 and have had more leaking issues with that setup as opposed to Enduras. As already mentioned above, the Nautilus 2 will also experience higher juice consumption.

I know that doesn't help you but I would expect a very rare bad batch. My only leaking took place when I failed to carefully insert the base.
I have had better luck with the Aspire Triton Mini but do not know if they have a TPD compliant model.

Back
Top Bottom