What's new

Sony VTC5 pushing at 23-25 Ampere is it safe?

Bluejackme

Postman
Hello guys! Im using Joyetech Evic primo SE 80w mod and it uses a single 18650 battery, i have a Sony VTC5 inside the mod. Now for the question!

When i use my coil the mod reads @ .15 Ohm and when i pushes the wattage on the mod up to 70-80w and vape the Ampere reader displays from 22-25 Ampere, the battery gets a bit warm after a few chain vapes puffs and i was wonder is it safe for me and the battery to vape at that readings? i usually draws for about 3 seconds per puffs [emoji12]

You can ignore the resistance (ohm) and the amps displayed in the mod. Only really need to consider the resistance when using a mech mod.

To calculate amp draw on a regulated mod you divide the wattage (80 in your case) by the voltage the mod cuts off at.

I don't know what voltage your mod cuts off at but let's say it's 3.2 so...

80/3.2 = 25amp

Not all boards are perfect though so for safety, add 10%.

So if you are running at 80w, you need a battery that can take 27.5amp.

To be exactly accurate though you need to know at what battery voltage your mod cuts out at.

Edit to add :- Those calculations are if you are running at the max 80w, if you are running at say 50, you divide 50 by the cut off so 50/3.2+10% = 17.1amp

Last edited:
You can ignore the resistance (ohm) and the amps displayed in the mod. Only really need to consider the resistance when using a mech mod.

To calculate amp draw on a regulated mod you divide the wattage (80 in your case) by the voltage the mod cuts off at.

I don't know what voltage your mod cuts off at but let's say it's 3.2 so...

80/3.2 = 25amp

Not all boards are perfect though so for safety, add 10%.

So if you are running at 80w, you need a battery that can take 27.5amp.

To be exactly accurate though you need to know at what battery voltage your mod cuts out at.

Edit to add :- Those calculations are if you are running at the max 80w, if you are running at say 50, you divide 50 by the cut off so 50/3.2+10% = 17.1amp
Thanks!, yes it puts out @ 3.46v at 80w and 22.8 Ampere

..... and to add to that, the more charged your cell is the less amps will be drawn, so if you don't run your cell down to the 3.2v-ish as Chris K has said you shouldn't be putting too much stress on the cell. ... and a regulated mod has low power and overheat protections that should stop anything bad happening when the cell runs down ... Running a single cell at 80w is always going to be using it pretty hard though.

..... and to add to that, the more charged your cell is the less amps will be drawn, so if you don't run your cell down to the 3.2v-ish as Chris K has said you shouldn't be putting too much stress on the cell. ... and a regulated mod has low power and overheat protections that should stop anything bad happening when the cell runs down ... Running a single cell at 80w is always going to be using it pretty hard though.
True! I bought a new mod instead 3 cells :)

Back
Top Bottom