What's new

Smok Alien HELP

Snake

Initiate
Hi,

I am pretty new to box mods, I bought a Smok AL85 recently, following the recommendation from the vape shop.
But when I tried to use the coils at the recommended watts, the battery kept cutting out. I was given Q2, T6 and T8 coils, and recommended that each was the best one for the AL85 and what watts to use it at, but each time the same issue. The only solution I was given by the shop was to use it at 30-40 watts as that is all this device could cope with, despite what I was told previously.

So I upgraded to a full Smok Alien and was told this would overcome my issues as this vape would allow me to use the coils at the recommended watts and get the best result as it had 2 batteries and was 220w.

Sadly I am still having issues. With the Q2 coil I am only able to use it at 50watts reliably, at 60w I got a burning taste after only 2-3 days, even though the Optimal is supposedly 55W - 65W. The solution from the shop again is to use it at 30-40 watts. Which rather defeats the point of upgrading to this device if I still have this limit.
Also I am only getting 30-40 puffs per tank, is this normal?

I tried the T6 and T8 coils, but only get burning taste right from the outset at the recommended watts, I have to I turn the watts down so low I cannot even taste anything to get rid of the burning taste. Again the recommendation from the shop, use at 30-40w, which seems to be the solution to everything, which just doesn't seem right to me.

Has anyone get any different advice or suggestions?

hi and welcome to the planet.
which tank did you get with the mod as smok make a lot. and also what ratio of vg/pg.
70/30 will work fine but 80/20 may struggle a bit especially if you are taking massive inhales.

priming a coil is the key here. drip juice on all the cotton you can see on the coil. the air holes and down the top. put in fill up and start low. so if you want to vape at 50w start at 25 watt and turn up each puff until you reach your sweet spot.this will slowly burn in the coil to the cotton and should last longer.

hi and welcome to the planet.
which tank did you get with the mod as smok make a lot. and also what ratio of vg/pg.
70/30 will work fine but 80/20 may struggle a bit especially if you are taking massive inhales.

priming a coil is the key here. drip juice on all the cotton you can see on the coil. the air holes and down the top. put in fill up and start low. so if you want to vape at 50w start at 25 watt and turn up each puff until you reach your sweet spot.this will slowly burn in the coil to the cotton and should last longer.

Hi,

I am using the tank that comes with it, I think it is called a baby beast?
I am using momo 30/70 pg/vg

Hi,

I am pretty new to box mods, I bought a Smok AL85 recently, following the recommendation from the vape shop.
But when I tried to use the coils at the recommended watts, the battery kept cutting out. I was given Q2, T6 and T8 coils, and recommended that each was the best one for the AL85 and what watts to use it at, but each time the same issue. The only solution I was given by the shop was to use it at 30-40 watts as that is all this device could cope with, despite what I was told previously.

So I upgraded to a full Smok Alien and was told this would overcome my issues as this vape would allow me to use the coils at the recommended watts and get the best result as it had 2 batteries and was 220w.

Sadly I am still having issues. With the Q2 coil I am only able to use it at 50watts reliably, at 60w I got a burning taste after only 2-3 days, even though the Optimal is supposedly 55W - 65W. The solution from the shop again is to use it at 30-40 watts. Which rather defeats the point of upgrading to this device if I still have this limit.
Also I am only getting 30-40 puffs per tank, is this normal?

I tried the T6 and T8 coils, but only get burning taste right from the outset at the recommended watts, I have to I turn the watts down so low I cannot even taste anything to get rid of the burning taste. Again the recommendation from the shop, use at 30-40w, which seems to be the solution to everything, which just doesn't seem right to me.

Has anyone get any different advice or suggestions?

Yes the shop you are using is a bunch of cockwombles. Is what i say. What i really mean is they have taken you for a fool to make as much money as they can from you.
So onto the problem your having. The coil recommended optimals is not reliable. I use Some smok tanks at times but find i don't go over the lower of the recommended wattage. I am guessing your tank is the Baby beast ?. so in truth the shop are about 40-50 watts with the coil you speak of.
Here is a big thing to consider and that is has the shop sold you counterfit coils or fake coils? or maybe its from a bad batch. The only thing i can suggest would be to buy the rebuildable coil head and go on youtube to learn how to use it, set it up etc. This will save you a load in the long run as well.
Final thing is i wish you had come on the forum before buying any Smok goodies. You may well have decided not to as they have a bad rep with a lot of members, The Alien is the most talked about mod in regards to it having problems, I am sorry to say.
You may be one of the lucky souls who has no problems. Oh and welcome to the forum you have made a wise choice joining, loads of decent sorts on here who will do their utmost to help you if you get stuck. All the best with getting a good vape from your kit

that should be fine then. as a new vapor i have to ask this then as many in the past were on the wrong settings. make sure you are defo in wattage mode and not TC temperature control mode. if you see anything on screen like Ni, Ti or centigrade or farenite then you are in the wrong mode. you need variable wattage only.
i do use 2 alien mods but havnt used a smok tank in almost a year as very unreliable.

I’m using the Q2 and X4 coils on a Baby Beast tank, I’ve found it helps a lot to prick the outer layer of the cotton (Not all the way through as shown in the video I’ve linked below).

Generally I vape between 30 and 45 watts and so far my coils have lasted between 2 and 5 weeks depending on how often I swap juices or how sweet they are.

The issue isn't with the Alien mod. It's a great mod however, the smok tanks and coils imho are complete garbage. Honestly some of the worst on the market.

Like you, the alien mod was my first mod and I went through every variation of coil and juice vg/pg ratio. Of course, my local vape shop was only to happy to sell me more coils and different juices knowing fine well they where selling me crap.

I got fed up and started learning all about RTA's and RDA's and ended up building my own coils. I just wished I had done it from the off. I haven't been near a vape shop in over a year. Internet only. So much cheaper anyway.

I'd definitely suggest you go down the build route. It'll take some investment and a bit of a learning curve but you can use your alien mod so all is not lost.

In the meantime, turn your wattage way down and close over the airflow about half way.

Good luck man

to be fair, I didn't take the shops advice on what mod to buy, I did read lots of reviews online which said the Smok was great, so I am surprised to now be hearing the opposite.

I will try some alternative coils next time, but I still several to use up first, so I will try them with the holes.

How about the speed at which it is using liquid, is this normal? I can;t believe how quick I am getting through each bottle.

to be fair, I didn't take the shops advice on what mod to buy, I did read lots of reviews online which said the Smok was great, so I am surprised to now be hearing the opposite.

I will try some alternative coils next time, but I still several to use up first, so I will try them with the holes.

How about the speed at which it is using liquid, is this normal? I can;t believe how quick I am getting through each bottle.
TBF they don't call it the baby beast for nothing...don't be fooled by its small capacity. You will spend more time filling it up than vaping on it, the coils are seriously thirsty.

ok so it seems that I should be getting a different tank and coils.
Any recommendations?

I have been using my mod at around 50w so far, lower than this and I can't really taste the flavour after a while. I noticed this decrease in taste also seems to be related to the tank getting hot.

Back
Top Bottom