What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

small vs large diameter coil

greenbrucelee

Achiever
I cant build due to dexterity issues and time issues so I buy premade. I was wondering what is the difference between smaller and larger diameter coils? I usually use 3mm diameter ones and do single and dual coil builds in my RDAs, I am running dual coils in my goon at .31 and the same in my Bonza and a solo 0.28 coil in my Drop. I prefer running in TC and use ss316L or ss430.

I guess coil size is determined by the size of the deck you're building on.

I guess coil size is determined by the size of the deck you're building on.

if I use 26/30g clapton coil with 3mm diameter and 7 wraps it comes in about 0.6ohm if I use the same but 4mm does that increase the ohm of the coil?

As @rew has said, some decks don't have the room for a 3mm coil
This is not a new question thread. Not picking on you, but I would suggest you search the forums before asking general questions so that you can make a more detailed and specific post which will get more responses. Nothing wrong with using premade coils. I mostly use them myself unless building on a deck that is small. I started building for the Dvawr MTL because I didn't have any 1.2-1.5 ohm coils and didn't want to wait on shipping.

I've been reading through that thread and it has lots of interesting information. It is worth a read.

I would look into how coil length, gauge and number of wraps effects ohms and vape production in terms of clouds, flavour and responsiveness. This is a more specific question that I've been meaning to post myself.

It doesn't really matter mate. If your attie can take a certain type of coil and your happy with the flavour then that's the win. Premade coils are great if they work for you. Don't get to hung up on what to use or what not to use . Just use what you like. At the end of the day if you like a vape with a 3mm coil then the sun shines. Experiment and have fun doing it.
Anyhoo, No question is a silly one . If your struggling just ask . Do search the forum it's not the greatest search function in the world but you will find your way around eventually.
And if you want to ask a new question go right ahead and ask . That's why POTV is here.

As was said, the inner diameter is often used to "tune" a tank/rda. If you want to use a certain wire type (kanthal, ni80, ss316 etc all have different resistances), you can play with wraps and inner diameter to tune the resistance to where you want it. It basically boils down to this: the higher ID your coil has, the more wire you use to fire your juice over the same length. As in, a 6wrap 2.5mm has considerably less wire than a 6wrap 4mm coil. That both increases resistance and surface area.

Other things play into this too, in RTAs mostly, not so much in RDAs. Some tanks you can coil with 2.5mm, but they tend to leak because you can't get enough cotton through 2.5mm to fill the channels adequately - flooding it. Or you can fit 4mm coils, but you'll overstuff the juice ports if you don't trim carefully.

Morton Oen (look on YouTube) did a series of experiments looking at juice consumption and discovered that it is relative to the total mass of the coil and wick combined... larger Id coils use more juice so if you want to cut juice consumption use smaller id coils (eg 2.5mm). Having said that building to the size of the atty is good, as has already been stated sometimes a 2.5mm coil won't allow you to fill the wick ports and sometimes 3mm coils will mean that you're going to be overstuffing them.

yeah, for me it's all about the appropriateness for the deck/chamber.

If you have loads of space and loads of room for wick then larger ID is the way to go, if not then the opposite.

Back
Top Bottom