What's new

Newish.

As I said you don't have to go nutz but completely up to you.....

You could after learning to drive & pass your test in a Fiat 500, buy a BMW M series or something

You could buy stfu watch, resistant to 200m, shockproof, titanium steel with 4 pages of spec...
(then lose the fucking thing....)

Most mods will do 100w with temp control which will be plenty for mtl or dabble into moderate dtl stuff
yes you could buy the best you can afford or heck buy 2 or 3 very good mtl kits/mods for same price
(so you got spare(s) etc.....)

All I did was give you like a suggestion or two/three for under £35
(which is a very good versatile kit/setup for the money)
How much did you pay for your t20 kit & all that in comparison ???

Of course you can go nutz, completely up to you, 18650's @ £4~£5 each can be charged in situ or external charger
(18650.co.uk have 18.65% off this week with code 18650 & free ship on say a tenner buying 3 of them)
Yes you can go down external battery mod route, but was keeping it simple/low cost with Aegis mini/Zenith

You can buy a mod with 2 or even 3 18650's or whatnot, but then there is the size of it too
plus the Aegis X is more money & screen is nice & big but does tend to scratch easily they say

So you could buy say 2 good mtl kits, so you have spare to charge or if you misplace one
or go nutz and buy a BMW M3 etc....

really up to you, your money - your choice

Indeed, I wasn't saying it was wrong to get other things.

It's just I've seen it plenty of times with many things that someone wants something in particular, but buys other things they don't really like first and they end up in a drawer untouched when they finally get what they wanted in the first place.

For example, a friend saw (and quickly used) my DeWalt cordless drill and liked it, so wanted a cordless one "like mine" but thought over £200 was a bit much to spend. He bought a 30 quid power devil which broke, so he bought a 50 quid black and decker where the batteries didn't last long enough, so he bought a 150 quid erbauer that he just didn't like (apparently underpowered and got hot) - then he finally bought the £220 DeWalt which is still working perfectly 4 years later.

Technically, that drill cost him £450...

Indeed, I wasn't saying it was wrong to get other things.

It's just I've seen it plenty of times with many things that someone wants something in particular, but buys other things they don't really like first and they end up in a drawer untouched when they finally get what they wanted in the first place.

For example, a friend saw (and quickly used) my DeWalt cordless drill and liked it, so wanted a cordless one "like mine" but thought over £200 was a bit much to spend. He bought a 30 quid power devil which broke, so he bought a 50 quid black and decker where the batteries didn't last long enough, so he bought a 150 quid erbauer that he just didn't like (apparently underpowered and got hot) - then he finally bought the £220 DeWalt which is still working perfectly 4 years later.

Technically, that drill cost him £450...

But technically he needed to decide if he was going to drill say a hundred holes a year
or a hundred thousand holes a year = horses for courses so to speak

Then again 4 years is a LONG time in technology advancement & pricing

The stuff you bought 4 years was a fucking lot more expensive
where as today is has got even better & cheaper.....

Another example is a large LCD TV
4 or 5 years ago a stfu branded make might have only been 1080i
these days you get more spec 4k etc... for less money as technology has evolved & wotnot

and the Aegis X is already being discounted as time goes by
reckon come New Year the Aegis X kit will drop close to £30 from average launch price
(thus recuperating a modest kit investment right now if OP decides to go further later on)

understand the risk of buying cheap, especially too cheap
but then your friend need to evaluate his requirements first before cutting too many corners too cheaply

If you are in the trade then yes perhaps you should not equip your van with power tools from Aldi
The odd once in blue moon home DIY-er then maybe OK if on a budget

horses for courses as I said

the Dewalt Vs Lidl powertool analogy....

Aegis mini Vs Aegis 100w/200w Vs Aegis X - so those would be "Dewalt's" but varied spec
&
if you go to Adept mod, well that isn't quite a Woolworths/Argos budget drill either
(or a snidey China clone mod stating it's 2500mah but really only a 1200mah mod
& not capable of reliable operation anywhere near its quoted spec on box)
The Adept has its limits being only 11~17w, good mod for the kit it is sold with
can be used for mtl stuff but not much more than that, which I pointed to
& why I steered towards the Aegis mini & list of other options

it comes down to selecting the most suitable overall option for each individual scenario

Last edited:
But technically he needed to decide if he was going to drill say a hundred holes a year
or a hundred thousand holes a year = horses for courses so to speak

Then again 4 years is a LONG time in technology advancement & pricing

The stuff you bought 4 years was a fucking lot more expensive
where as today is has got even better & cheaper.....

Another example is a large LCD TV
4 or 5 years ago a stfu branded make might have only been 1080i
these days you get more spec 4k etc... for less money as technology has evolved & wotnot

and the Aegis X is already being discounted as time goes by
reckon come New Year the Aegis X kit will drop close to £30 from average launch price
(thus recuperating a modest kit investment right now if OP decides to go further later on)

understand the risk of buying cheap, especially too cheap
but then your friend need to evaluate his requirements first before cutting too many corners too cheaply

If you are in the trade then yes perhaps you should not equip your van with power tools from Aldi
The odd once in blue moon home DIY-er then maybe OK if on a budget

horses for courses as I said

the Dewalt Vs Lidl powertool analogy....

Aegis mini Vs Aegis 100w/200w Vs Aegis X - so those would be "Dewalt's"
&
if you go to Adept mod, well that isn't quite a Woolworths/Argos budget drill either

In the spirit of discussion - NOT arguing or trying to one-up ;)

4 years isn't necessarily a long time in every segment, said drill is still a current model. And the price hasn't actually dropped on it at all...

And it's not always about absolute need either, it's nice to have things you think are nice if you can justify it. While some cheapy stuff gets the job done, better things are just nicer to use. I have a fair few pro level tools that I barely use, but when I do use them I know they'll work first time with no fuss and (maybe psychologically) feel better doing it.

Also, hanging on for price reductions can be a never ending cycle - there's always another next week when they might drop another fiver off the price - when do you finally give in and either just buy what you want or admit it's not going to happen?

In the spirit of discussion - NOT arguing or trying to one-up ;)

4 years isn't necessarily a long time in every segment, said drill is still a current model. And the price hasn't actually dropped on it at all...

And it's not always about absolute need either, it's nice to have things you think are nice if you can justify it. While some cheapy stuff gets the job done, better things are just nicer to use. I have a fair few pro level tools that I barely use, but when I do use them I know they'll work first time with no fuss and (maybe psychologically) feel better doing it.

Also, hanging on for price reductions can be a never ending cycle - there's always another next week when they might drop another fiver off the price - when do you finally give in and either just buy what you want or admit it's not going to happen?

It is easy to say just buy the top of the range stuff that is simply a YES answer

As for pricing examples - thought I explained that rather well with TV analogy
plus the X is on offer at places and once yet "another" model comes out blah blah blah

In fact the Aegis 100w Solo was on offer until Tuesday midnight just gone for 24:47 Euro's
instead of 31:58 Euro's (slimline 100w model with single 18650) coz I bought one

Last edited:
Christ, you two are fucking tedious :25: Do we have to scare the newbies away? :19:

Christ, you two are fucking tedious :25: Do we have to scare the newbies away? :19:

Was discussing, but cbfa any more.

WTF - @pdg started tagging or quoting my replies first ffs & entering into the debate against what I said

free to give advice/opinions but if quoting me & countering what I said then I am entitled to respond

already said about horses for courses & unwise to fill a trade van with Aldi tools etc.....

But yeah fuck this I'm out also, I got other stuff to do too

Thanks guys. I do appreciate all advice given. And I take on board what everyone says. This stuff is very subjective anyway. I will pop into a shop tomorrow and have a look and a chat with the guys there. Once again thank you all.

After everything was said I went for the aegis solo. Only just setting it up now. [emoji1695] all is well. Thanks guys.

After everything was said I went for the aegis solo. Only just setting it up now. [emoji1695] all is well. Thanks guys.

with what tank the t20 or something else ???

I was going to add prior to this by all means look, but you don't need to rush into it

There are plenty of places & options and despite all research conducted
all various advice and crap - you will still very likely keep looking at other shiny stuff
& no doubt at some point be tempted to try other stuff.....

Solo is a good call, decent robust mod with internal battery that should serve you well
Sometimes keeping it simple is a wise decision, until you gain a bit more understanding

Give it a month or so & you will be building your own coils, mixing your own juice etc....
saving money - nah who am I kidding.....
any money you save you will blow it all on more kit like most of us

ATB

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom