What's new

Newbie.. again, help please starting over

GoApeAndVape

Initiate
Hey everyone :-)

20+/day smoker, tried vaping before, cut down cigarettes to about 10-15day while I did, but only lasted a few months and then went downhill. Years ago.

Want to try vaping again, quitting cigarettes an eventual goal but for now just need something to replace the pointless chain smoking I do.

Previously had kangertech topbox mini and innokin endra t18. The leaking was a problem in both and I just didn’t really enjoy it.

Lots has changed since then, pods seem to be very much in, I don’t know where the t18 even stands in relation. Nic salts are a thing. Etc.

I want to completely start over. Ideally I get one or two devices. Definitely need a MTL but wouldn’t mind the odd cloudy sub-ohm vape. I’ve looked at online lists, forum lists, forum posts but hoping you apes can use your knowledge to point me in the right direction based on personal preference.

- cig replacement, so MTL device
- sub-ohm cloudy vape on occasion
- leak proof to the extent possible
- discreet and simple
- refillable or replaceable?
- not going to break the bank

while cost isn’t everything, given how cheap it was to vape before I would never pay the equivalent of a pack of fags or even £5-£10 equivalent to smoking 20.

questions

- standard nic mg’s these days?
- nic salts the way to go?
- JUUL / BLU / ICOS still pointless?
- any tips on liquids? I used to use one pound liquid and a few clearance branded names but I just ended up with loads of unused and out of date stuff.

I’m asking for too much I know! But I really want to get this going while the momentum is there, haven’t felt this need to get started for a very long time so want to stick with it!

thanks a lot!!

Hi there, and welcome to the planet. I'm new here as well but have been vaping for a good number of years. I use mostly sub-ohm tanks.
But my wife and son have just started vaping and they got themselves a Smok Thallo80 Pod each from ebay for £21 great price. It has a built in 3000mAh battery which goes up to 80 watts. You also get the rpm2 Pod, 2 mesh coils and a charging cable free delivery. The airflow system would be ideal for you as you can have the draw a MTL or DL. I get my e juice from SMKD the prices a brilliant, you can get 200ml for £10 plus your nic at £1 per 10ml and delivery. SMOK Thallo Pod Mod Kit | 80W Vape Kit | RPM 2 Coils Thallo Pods| Fast Dispatch | eBay

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome @GoApeAndVape , The 2 types of vaping don't go together, your not going to get big clouds from a MTL Device so your gonna have to go DTL as well which will mean 2 devices. With juice, that also depends on what sort you want, i vape a lot of Tobacco flavoured Liquid with the occasional Custard or Fruit Flavour thrown in. It's hard to recommend liquid because 1. there is a massive selection and 2. Just because some think a juice is nice you might not think the same.

Thanks guys for the replies.

I hadn’t come across smok thallow, will definitely take a good look.

@LordOdin yeah I agree but my DTL antics wouldn’t be super cloud chasing, just a for a lighter vaping experience with a little more cloud, so something like what @Reggiec suggested might work don’t you think?

the pods I’ve been looking at are

innokin endura m18
Uwell Caliburn G
Vaporesso not sure which model
Smok nord 2 or 4
Voopoo drag s

leaning towards one of the first 3 in terms of size and simplicity especially if I will get a separate DTL device would like to keep the MTL as simple as possible

with liquids, I don’t like custard or mint, or anything too strong or sweet. So some light fruit flavours would probably do the trick. Preferably something with nic already in, at 3/6/9mg, and not sure yet if nic salts are the way to go, but seems so

Pod wise on the Vaporesso front i would say PM80 all day with the 4ml Pods though, it's pretty small and takes the GTX Coils which are almost Legendary in the vape world and last pretty long. There is a 18650 one but forget the model though might be RPM. I started using one about a month or so ago and not being a Pod fan it actually surprised me. It's ultimately your choice but i also like the Artery Cold Steel AIO which takes all main battery types and is a really well built Mod. There are 2 versions them being XP (Stock Coils) or RBA which is build your own coils, both go from 5w - 120w. Hope you find what your looking for and good luck.

Nic salts give you a faster nicotine hit and tend to come in higher nicotine strengths so they appeal to those looking to give up smoking. In terms of nicotine strength 3mg is considered very low, 6mg low, 9mg low/ medium, 12 is about what an average cigarette contains so anything above is high. There are a myriad of flavours available especially fruit ones so that's all down to personal choice. There is also PG/VG to consider and as a general rule 50/50 liquid is best for mtl kits.

Similarly there are a lot of different kits available both starter and more advanced but maybe get a mtl kit first and see how you get on rather than buy a dtl one too. Also an external battery mean you just swap it as opposed to internal ones which mean you can't in practice vape and charge at the same time and many kits such as the M 18 have a fairly low battery capacity so not so great unless you don't vape that much.

Good luck.

To keep it as simple as possible, this will meet your needs for MTL:
https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/reviews/pod-systems/vaporesso-xros-mini.html
Price, leak-proof, coil life, flavour, good battery life for the compact size, one of the few I would happily give to someone trying to quit smoking.
( @DeeDee aka (Pod Queen) recently reviewed the larger version https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/forums/posts/2430507/ )

Nic salts wise, for MTL personally I find them better due to the more instant nicotine fix to quickly satisfy nicotine cravings, 20mg works for me and it's not as harsh on the throat as high nicotine freebase, some folks don't get on with it though but there's one way to find out. For DL I wouldn't go over 10mg in salts but I tend to prefer freebase for my cloud lobbers.

DL options are a bit tougher and personal choice will no doubt play a part, the Vaporesso PM80 is pretty impressive for clouds and flavour but it likes to dump juice now & then, the PX80 or LUXE-80 are less prone to leak,I would go for one of those over the DRAG's due to the coil life and leaking (also the price if you shop around).

Hi

Literally as above, @Vapaneezer Scrooge has suggested exactly what i would recommend.

The Xros 2 is probably more suitable as you have 2 pods options in the kit and you can adjust the airflow, but I love the mini as it suits my af preference as it is. You can also use the new 0.8 and 1.2 pods in it.
I would suggest reading my review as i cover the difference in the old and new pod versions.

There are some pod kits that can do RDL and MTL but my suggestion would be to get a decent mtl kit to quick the smokes first.

My top 3 MTL kits are:

Vaporesso Xros mini or Xros 2
ZQ Vapor Xtal Pro (changeable coils)
Uwell Calibun A2

I have reviewed all 3 and you can find them in the review section

Nic salts 100% don't just but cheap juice though, i would suggest:

• Prime Vapes - MTL collection. They also have other brands too.
https://www.primevapes.co.uk/collections/the-mtl-50-50-shortfill-collection
  • Juice Head
  • Dr Vapes
  • Solt

These are my favs, other members may have others

Let us know if you have more questions and how u get on.

Back
Top Bottom