What's new

Newb question re coil differences

Orphiel

Initiate
So I normally vape 20mg nicotine on a 1.6 coil (nautilus 2) at around 6 watts. As it's vanilla custard it tends to gunk up the coils pretty fast, like just under a week. Getting annoyed with this, I switched to the 0.7 coils to try out vaping at slightly higher watts, but not 'true' sub ohming - still only pushing power up to about 9 - 10 watts, and sticking with 20 nicotine. The tank's getting hotter than before, that's normal, right? As in, these coils are made to get hotter and not burn out as quick as the other ones? Everything I've read suggests that's the case, but I worry too much sometimes, haha :)
Cheers,
Meg

dont worry as they can get hot if you chain vape taking lots of toots quite often.
the 0.7 is rated 18-23watts but it doesnt mean you have to use that. keeping it lower will prolong the life of the coil unless of course your using higher vg than 50/50 and then they will still clog up after a while.

So I normally vape 20mg nicotine on a 1.6 coil (nautilus 2) at around 6 watts. As it's vanilla custard it tends to gunk up the coils pretty fast, like just under a week. Getting annoyed with this, I switched to the 0.7 coils to try out vaping at slightly higher watts, but not 'true' sub ohming - still only pushing power up to about 9 - 10 watts, and sticking with 20 nicotine. The tank's getting hotter than before, that's normal, right? As in, these coils are made to get hotter and not burn out as quick as the other ones? Everything I've read suggests that's the case, but I worry too much sometimes, haha :)
Cheers,
Meg
Hi Meg
The coils are still gonna bung up quick vaping custard whether it be a 1.6ohm or 0.7ohm I'm afraid, getting just under a week on a coil vaping custard is doing alright to be fair and that's the same as my better half gets when she's vaping custard on a Nautilus,
As for the tank getting warmer ,that's totally expected with a lower ohm coil so don't panic everything's fine there [emoji4]

I'm dry burning a coil once a week which I'm happy enough with

Cheers,
Meg

to be honest a week is pretty average for a nautilus coil (any type) the 0.7 will get hotter and that's normal but that won't stop them 'burning out' as you put it because that's not what's happening to your coils, they are getting covered in crud and it's that what is tasting burnt. Either accept it or move over to a rebuildable tank.

Yeah, the coil life is not a deal breaker, I still really like the tank, so can live with if they don't last longer, just thought I'd give it a go on the off chance - thought basically it might help that I was using the coil under its capacity if you see what I mean, but the gunk explanation makes sense :) Never gonna be savvy enough to build my own coils, and still spending a lot less than I was on the cigs, so I'll live with it! Cheers all :)

Yeah, the coil life is not a deal breaker, I still really like the tank, so can live with if they don't last longer, just thought I'd give it a go on the off chance - thought basically it might help that I was using the coil under its capacity if you see what I mean, but the gunk explanation makes sense :) Never gonna be savvy enough to build my own coils, and still spending a lot less than I was on the cigs, so I'll live with it! Cheers all :)

yeah that's the way to look at it, you can buy nautilus coils for around £5 - £6 online, so even if you change it every weekend it's only around £1 a week. .... still going to be a massive saving to you.

I use the Nautilus 2 12w 1.8 and 23w 0.7, I tried 6w on the 1.8 and it struggled to heat the coil up, it was like tiny trace element of weak vapour so maybe pump it up a bit get the juice boiled I think 6w on a 1.6 would be even worse if that's even possible.

Update on this - after you all pointed out it's the gunk that's the problem rather than the coil burning I switched up to 8-9 watts and indeed that is better and also a more satisfying vape! So cheers for that unexpected bonus ;)

Back
Top Bottom