What's new

New RDA user struggling with flavour big time! Can you help..

Saul Annett

Initiate
Hi there, I'm new to the forums so excuse me if I'm asking stupid questions but I'm really struggling to get my setup working and I'm hoping someone out there can help [emoji21]

I've been vaping a few years but have just recently moved to a MTL RDA. I like switching out flavours a lot and I liked the idea of building my own coils to save on costs and improve on flavour. Little did I know!

The liquids I buy are organic and expensive for allergy reasons I won't go into. They're very tasty when I vape them in my big standard tank but since trying my Berserker MTL RDA it's been nothing of the sort. Almost no flavour at all. I've tried numerous variables including the stock fused Clapton coils (0.7ohm), my own (probably badly) built coils. The one in the pic being 26AWG with 6 wraps at 2.5ml, roughly 1ohm. Ive tried upgrading my cotton to premium stuff and new wires includint 24awg, 26 and 28. It's terrible.! Almost no flavour at all! I don't know what I'm doing wrong and it's driving me mad having spent hours reading forums and checking out build videos.

I should add I've tried vaping at different watts, I've tried different air hole configurations, I've tried lowering the coil and raising it.

Please please can anyone out there help me? Before I give up completely [emoji25][emoji25][emoji25]

I'd really appreciate your guidance as being new to the world of building coils is hard enough, but then to find I'm getting zero flavour when it tastes great in my tank is frustrating to say the least. I must be missing a trick

20181009_222133.jpeg
20181009_222152.jpeg
20181009_222200.jpeg
20181009_224343.jpeg

What is your "big standard tank"?
What nic strength is your juice? If you've gone from a high wattage sub-ohm tank, to a low wattage mtl, there will be a massive difference.
Not all flavours/nic levels suit all tanks.

What is your "big standard tank"?
What nic strength is your juice? If you've gone from a high wattage sub-ohm tank, to a low wattage mtl, there will be a massive difference.
Not all flavours/nic levels suit all tanks.
Sorry for the bad description. Both tanks are MTL. The other is a Jac Vapour S22. Same juice at 12mg nic strength. I don't vape direct to lung anymore.

I'd be surprised if this was the reason? Coming from a MTL setup which is similar in spec, but going from amazing flavour to no flavour at all, I had assumed it had to be something about the build.

I'd be surprised if this was the reason? Coming from a MTL setup which is similar in spec, but going from amazing flavour to no flavour at all, I had assumed it had to be something about the build.
Try lowering your coil a little and using a touch less cotton

Try lowering your coil a little and using a touch less cotton
Thanks, I'll try that tonight. Though I have tried varying the height of the coil (that didn't seem to change much) I'll try less cotton. Can that really make such a substantial difference?!

Thanks, I'll try that tonight. Though I have tried varying the height of the coil (that didn't seem to change much) I'll try less cotton. Can that really make such a substantial difference?!
I found that RDA best been able to see the underside of the coil through the air intake and yes too much cotton can strangle the flavour a lot [emoji6]

I found that RDA best been able to see the underside of the coil through the air intake and yes too much cotton can strangle the flavour a lot [emoji6]
Hmmm well the berkerker is a pretty unique airflow and you can't really see the coil through it as far as I understand. It has an insert in their which means it's side airflow intake but pushes the air from under the coil. Sorry it I'm not explaining myself properly. I'll have another look

Hmmm well the berkerker is a pretty unique airflow and you can't really see the coil through it as far as I understand. It has an insert in their which means it's side airflow intake but pushes the air from under the coil. Sorry it I'm not explaining myself properly. I'll have another look
What I meant was not to look through the side but position your coil lower so the bottom of the coil is lower so the underside is down to the airflow and use less cotton sorry for not explaining myself better [emoji4]

What I meant was not to look through the side but position your coil lower so the bottom of the coil is lower so the underside is down to the airflow and use less cotton sorry for not explaining myself better [emoji4]
Thanks. What sort of distance from coil to airflow would be a good target ?

Back
Top Bottom