What's new

Mesh RTA vs Clapton Coil RTA

Mate , seems like theres a new Kylin M "Pro".
Nothing new under the sun... it looks great tho.

Nice little mushroom.

I was actually thinking of getting another Kylin, the one i have is Gold and doesn't get the love it deserves even though it's only me that see's it. I will wait for the Kylin Pro to release now so Thanks @OzoreXS i appreciate you letting me know about this, 8ml of liquid too.

I have a Smok TFV18 and wasn't to impressed with the mesh head that came with it. So I got the RBA deck for it, and made a couple of clapton coils. Put them in the RBA which is very easy to do, reading 0.14ohms. And the flavour is amazing with plenty of clouds at 80 watts. I took it up to 150 watts and it could go higher but it was to intense at 150 watts for me. Don't know if I am old fashioned or what but I prefer coils. I have coils in all off my RTA's and they all vape well.

Hi All,

Thanks for your feedback, yes the pro's coming out soon but I guess it'll be a bit too big for me.

I've got the Kylin M and I've tried wicking it for the first time yesterday...

I fitted the mesh strip and did the cotton as instructed, somehow the 0.18 Ohm Strips I've fitted are reading 0.21 Ohm, but I'm guessing that's normal? Or is there a way I can fix this?

My biggest issue is Flavour... I'm not getting that much flavour out of my build... Honestly speaking, I used to get a much better flavour from my GeeKVape Zeus (normal mesh coil) tank...

Is it maybe something I might be doing wrong? I would appreciate your guidance as usual.

@ericscicluna I'm only on my first mesh rta (Zeus X 2) so don't know much, but will offer some thoughts and observations based on my short time with mesh rta's.

Re: resistance. I have experienced exactly the same with my tank. The .17 is currently reading .21 and the .2 read .23, so I am just thinking this is normal. It works perfectly fine otherwise.
Re: flavour. I get much more flavour than my Zeus subohm tank. So, I suspect there's something amiss.

Don't expect the rta to behave like your prebuilt. Have you tried moving the wattage up and down? Have you tried changing the airflow? I vape about 10 watts lower with the rta.

More likely than not it is going to be the wicking.
Are you using the cotton that came with the tank?
Do you have your own you can use instead?

It took me 3 builds to get where I like. I ended up using a really thick cotton, but cut down the ends (diagonally) and fluffed them up and removed a lot of the excess cotton. I suspect there is a will to pack those juice wells up with too much cotton and that might not be the optimal solution.

The only option you have is going to be trial and error. Try using different thicknesses of cotton, different density cotton in the wells etc. Adjust wattage and airflow. The biggest thing to ensure is that the cotton touches the coil completely.

Just my limited experience. I am sure someone more knowledgeable will help you out.

Good luck!

Hi All,

Thanks for your feedback, yes the pro's coming out soon but I guess it'll be a bit too big for me.

I've got the Kylin M and I've tried wicking it for the first time yesterday...

I fitted the mesh strip and did the cotton as instructed, somehow the 0.18 Ohm Strips I've fitted are reading 0.21 Ohm, but I'm guessing that's normal? Or is there a way I can fix this?

My biggest issue is Flavour... I'm not getting that much flavour out of my build... Honestly speaking, I used to get a much better flavour from my GeeKVape Zeus (normal mesh coil) tank...

Is it maybe something I might be doing wrong? I would appreciate your guidance as usual.

Hi first of all I would not worry to much been a tad above what it should be, know for cotton what did you use ? & If you post a pic of the build we might be able to help as for cotton I use either Firebolt M cotton or wotofo xfiber cotton & do the angle cut.
IMG_20210925_134131_509.jpeg
IMG_20210924_163654_583.jpeg

You got a TCX ?. I find it ok though i find most of them ok, it wicks well enough as well..

No mate, I just need some thick cotton for my Profiles. Realised I only have one lace left so was going nip into Vaping101 to restock but the TCX is the only stuff they have in stock (other than Cotton Bacon etc which I'm not a fan of). I'll give it a try and report back later.

Hi first of all I would not worry to much been a tad above what it should be, know for cotton what did you use ? & If you post a pic of the build we might be able to help as for cotton I use either Firebolt M cotton or wotofo xfiber cotton & do the angle cut.View attachment 255128View attachment 255129

Hi Mate, sorry for the delay. work was busy as hell...

Here are some images of my wick (ps. don't kill me please... it's my first ever wick :P )

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

I'm currently using the Wotofo Mesh Strips (A1 .18Ω 45-65W 16x6.8mm) [the ones I mentioned earlier] - Currently vaping @ 50W

The cotton I'm using is the one that came with the VandyVape Kylin M itself (got 2 laces in the box to try out)... I've also got myself a pack of "Cotton Bacon Version 2", but still didn't open it up yet.
I just bought it since I've seen/read multiple good reviews about it and luckily It also happened to be in stock locally somehow lol.
Do you think that the cotton itself makes much of a difference when it comes to flavour? (just asking, I've been into vaping for only approx 2 months now)

Note: On the other hand, after some time the ohms went down from 0.22Ω to 0.19Ω whilst the packaging says 0.18Ω, so I guess that should be fine, taste got a bit better but nothing out of this world...
I'm also noticing that my cotton got slightly burnt somehow (it's visible in the images)... is that normal?

Thanks a lot! much appreciated ;)

Hi Mate, sorry for the delay. work was busy as hell...

Here are some images of my wick (ps. don't kill me please... it's my first ever wick [emoji14] )

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

I'm currently using the Wotofo Mesh Strips (A1 .18Ω 45-65W 16x6.8mm) [the ones I mentioned earlier] - Currently vaping @ 50W

The cotton I'm using is the one that came with the VandyVape Kylin M itself (got 2 laces in the box to try out)... I've also got myself a pack of "Cotton Bacon Version 2", but still didn't open it up yet.
I just bought it since I've seen/read multiple good reviews about it and luckily It also happened to be in stock locally somehow lol.
Do you think that the cotton itself makes much of a difference when it comes to flavour? (just asking, I've been into vaping for only approx 2 months now)

Note: On the other hand, after some time the ohms went down from 0.22Ω to 0.19Ω whilst the packaging says 0.18Ω, so I guess that should be fine, taste got a bit better but nothing out of this world...
I'm also noticing that my cotton got slightly burnt somehow (it's visible in the images)... is that normal?

Thanks a lot! much appreciated ;)
Your wicking looks ok to me bud, the cotton makes all the difference flavour wise some people love cotton bacon & muji to me they both taste like puke & take an age before breaking in, get yourself some of the wotofo xfiber cotton & as for the brown spots I get that too & can depend on how sweet some of the liquids are.

Back
Top Bottom