What's new

Mech Mods and Ohms

It's one of those chicken and egg situations. You shouldn't use a hybrid mech with no experience under your belt and can't get experience using one if you don't use one. I think you have made the correct decision for now. As others have said, maybe get a non hybrid mech when you can, rather than starting with the most potentially dangerous type. But before that, read and watch all you can about the subject until you are certain you know all the theory behind battery and mech safety.

Using a mech is a fun way to vape but getting it wrong is defo no fun.

It's one of those chicken and egg situations. You shouldn't use a hybrid mech with no experience under your belt and can't get experience using one if you don't use one. I think you have made the correct decision for now. As others have said, maybe get a non hybrid mech when you can, rather than starting with the most potentially dangerous type. But before that, read and watch all you can about the subject until you are certain you know all the theory behind battery and mech safety.

Using a mech is a fun way to vape but getting it wrong is defo no fun.
Yeah. I'll do sone more reading when I get home and I'll post what I've found out :)

Good man. People on this thread have been uber critical of you so far and it's because they care and don't want you to come a cropper. I say, you have had the smarts to come on here and ask advice first before getting into it and that, for me shows you are not daft. :)

Ok here is some of the things I've learnt:

Make sure to keep topping the batteries up
Never screw the tank on too tight
Clean the 510 threads
Take batteries out when not using
Make sure there is no metal to metal contact in the battery holder, on the side of the batteries
Make sure the CDR is higher than the tanks ohms, and leave abit of 'headroom'
Keep checking batteries for wear/faults
Make sure the middle bit of the 510 pretrudes past the negative threads.

Just tell me if I need to know anything else. Thanks

Clean the 510 threads
Make sure there is no metal to metal contact in the battery holder, on the side of the batteries

check and double check your build on a regulated mod before you even think about sticking on a mech, you know that thing that comes up on a regulated mods screen saying "check atomiser" "Error short" or whatever? ... mech's don't do that. Making sure everything is right and tip top at the atomiser end is just as important. Keep your coils well away from the cap and deck and make sure there no stray wire clippings or leg ends and everything is tight and tidy.

Clean the 510 threads

Hi, and Im sorry if you might have thought my earlier post was a little over the top, but we care about other people who vape and always want to help them whilst making sure they are vaping as safely as possible.

You asked if you needed to know anything else. I would suggest you need to know exactly why you have to do all the things you listed above. Why shouldn't you screw the tank on too tight? Why should you leave headroom between the amps your build will draw and the CDR of your battery? Etc etc. There are usually multiple reasons for each point you listed.

Also, as has already been said, you need to know the ins and outs, the particular characteristics of the mech you are using.

For instance, I believe the original SMPL mod was designed for button top batteries and may have battery rattle with flat top batteries, requiring a battery spacer. I'm not sure if this is an issue with more recent clones, however. Why is battery rattle a problem?

Most mechs use various methods to deal with the variability in battery length and more importantly 510 length that leads to battery rattle, and how the mech does that usually defines how you go about changing your batteries and fitting your RDA.

It is usually good practice to screw the RDA to the hybrid top cap before introducing your battery to it, but it all depends on the mech.

Mechs have different types of switch too, which needs to be taken into account. Some use magnetism to repel the battery away from the switch, pressing the battery against the 510. If you adjust the button for a short throw, then take off the RDA without removing the battery, then replace the RDA with one with a longer 510, you can end up in an autofire situation.

If you drop your mech the 510 can dent the battery cap, leading to possible arcing and a short circuit.

It pays to know this stuff. :)

Bo0o0om headshot?!?!?

giphy.gif

That video in conjunction with this https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/news/vaping-news/2017-12-31_vape-injuries.html
Should be all the motivation required to vape safe.

Hi, and Im sorry if you might have thought my earlier post was a little over the top, but we care about other people who vape and always want to help them whilst making sure they are vaping as safely as possible.

You asked if you needed to know anything else. I would suggest you need to know exactly why you have to do all the things you listed above. Why shouldn't you screw the tank on too tight? Why should you leave headroom between the amps your build will draw and the CDR of your battery? Etc etc. There are usually multiple reasons for each point you listed.

Also, as has already been said, you need to know the ins and outs, the particular characteristics of the mech you are using.

For instance, I believe the original SMPL mod was designed for button top batteries and may have battery rattle with flat top batteries, requiring a battery spacer. I'm not sure if this is an issue with more recent clones, however. Why is battery rattle a problem?

Most mechs use various methods to deal with the variability in battery length and more importantly 510 length that leads to battery rattle, and how the mech does that usually defines how you go about changing your batteries and fitting your RDA.

It is usually good practice to screw the RDA to the hybrid top cap before introducing your battery to it, but it all depends on the mech.

Mechs have different types of switch too, which needs to be taken into account. Some use magnetism to repel the battery away from the switch, pressing the battery against the 510. If you adjust the button for a short throw, then take off the RDA without removing the battery, then replace the RDA with one with a longer 510, you can end up in an autofire situation.

If you drop your mech the 510 can dent the battery cap, leading to possible arcing and a short circuit.

It pays to know this stuff. :)

Wow thanks for this. At the start I though a mech mod was simple, but I'm very glad I came here and asked. Thanks actually for being bossy, as it made me think. My mech has arrived, but my RDA hasn't so it should come tomorrow. I've attached the picture of the mech and the bottom piece

Attachments

• 15156005481791840369817.jpg
    15156005481791840369817.jpg
    977.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 1515600620418291272167.jpg
    1515600620418291272167.jpg
    965.5 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top Bottom