Vape Superstore
What's new

May we have a PG-free subforum?

I thought it had been debunked that asthma inhalers contained PG?
I actually have an have an inhaer in my possession, which clearly lists PG as an ingredient. I have asked my GP for a PG-free inhaler, but she said that there isn't one on the lists. That they all contain PG.

So I can't guess who would debunk that? or why? This debunking thing is news to me. The pharma industyry is totally in love with PG , these days. . I've given up on trying to get hold of a PG-free antihistamine syrup. Every time i've found one, they've almost immediately changed the ingredients, replacing the (formally common) VG with PG. Really! If they can use PG in place of any of their old ingredients, they will. I cam only suppose that PG is dirt cheap.

Fortunately, PG hasn't had any bad effects on me when ingested. Not yet! It seems that only my lungs are sensitised to it. But I dread the day when the rest of my innards catch up!

I'm keeping my inhaler,so that i can truly say that i suffer from asthma, and, yes, I'm under prescrtibed medication for it. See? It can seriously undermine your medical credibility if you're forced to self-treat , or even do without treatment . (IThat makes you look as if your're self diagnosed) Unfortunately, the inhaler no longer good for anything else. At first, the airway-opening effect seemed to have the edge over the athma-triggering effect, but that edge has completely eroded by now. :(

Smoore
The most ironic thing in all of this is, I gave up cigs because I had developed a rash, as some of you previous smokers will agree. You eat a mint or chewing gum and sometimes spray perfume/aftershave. As I was unable to do the latter, I stopped smoking and started vaping. Now was the allergy already there and the PG exacerbated it or was it completely coincidental. GP was disinterested other than a professional nod of the head and would not condone vaping but did not recommend going back to cigs. Scratches head and chin together [emoji848][emoji855]

I thought it had been debunked that asthma inhalers contained PG?

I actually have an have an inhaer in my possession, which clearly lists PG as an ingredient. I have asked my GP for a PG-free inhaler, but she said that there isn't one on the lists. That they all contain PG.

So I can't guess who would debunk that? or why? This debunking thing is news to me.

I thought it was too...

From what I remember it was something that people used to say when talking about eliquids to the 'you don't know what's in that' bunch....and they'd say PG, that's safe it's even in inhalers, but it turned out that apparently it hadn't been used in inhalers for years.

... I think that was the general gist.

AcmeFog
I thought it was too...

From what I remember it was something that people used to say when talking about eliquids to the 'you don't know what's in that' bunch....and they'd say PG, that's safe it's even in inhalers, but it turned out that apparently it hadn't been used in inhalers for years.

Yes that was my understanding also. @jay2's ingredient list suggests otherwise though.

Innokin
isn't PG used as a dispersal method in hospitals for something to other ?

isn't PG used as a dispersal method in hospitals for something to other ?
It is certainly used in nebulisers in hospitals and I've read it is used in the air-conditioning systems, presumably for it's antibacterial properties. No idea if it is actually commonly used for that though.

Vape Green
Hi spreadfreak. I was thinking the same thing. Manabush is 60/40 I think. They write it on the label the other way round for some reason. VG/PG. it's a mystery what is in elements. Don't want to get libel from the mighty elements. Strangely enough I tried their far range and one gave a reaction and the other didn't. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I just checked with @ZT, who IS manabush, and Spiritwalker is definitely 60 VG.

But I still think its something other than the PG in Element that is causing your rash. :)

I thought it was too...

Ah yeah, i remenber people endlessly citing that fact as proof that "PG is good for you". Of course it is. We all have faith in the goodness of Big Pharma don't we?

When i actually checked my inhaler, this actually proved to be true of my inhaler. I couldn't tell you which year that was, so they might have changed the ingredients since then.

I've been trying to check the ingredients online - so at to prove my case to you... but with highly confusing results. Ventolin (which I used to have on prescription) actually doesn't contain PG, but rather 1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane (It then took quite a bit more online research before I was sure that's just not one of PG's multiplicity of synonyms). However, I now have "Salbutamol" on prescription. That's the generic term for the active ingredient in Ventolin, so it's same stuff, without the brand name. ...as regards active ingredients, that is. Some online sources for Salbutamol said that "salbutamol" contains PG,;some said 1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane instead. So this would appear ro vary between different manufacturers , or maybe different dates? Like I said, these pharma companies have an annoying habit of changing their "inactive" ingredients without warning. Without even mentioning it.

All I know is that my present formulation contains PG, and that my GP couldn't offer me a different formulation. She did mention that the generic Salbutamol was cheaper than the branded Ventolin, of course. It now occurs to me that it might not be up to her at all, but rather up to the chemist, to fulfill an NHS prescription with the cheapest product available? That might be what she trying to say. All I know for sure was that it added up to I'm stuck with PG in my inhaler,,like it or not.

Meantime, I have noticed a definite trend for the pharma industry to add PG to more and more products, in recent years. Maybe inhalers are a bit of an exception?... if you buy the right brand of inhaler, that is.

Elux
I just checked with @ZT, who IS manabush, and Spiritwalker is definitely 60 VG.

But I still think its something other than the PG in Element that is causing your rash. :)

Thanks soeedfreak. Going to check all listed ingredients in Elements. Got a load of the gorgeous but clearly unsafe(for me) to use stuff. Some you win, some you lose. :)

Back
Top Bottom