What's new

Landlord threatening to evict due to vaping.

Do you know if your deposit has been put into a respectable deposit scheme?

'Your landlord must put your deposit in a government-backed tenancy deposit scheme ( TDP ) if you rent your home on an assured shorthold tenancy that started after 6 April 2007. In England and Wales your deposit can be registered with:Deposit Protection Service. MyDeposits - including deposits that were held by Capita.'

They can make claim to some of the deposit for cleaning after end of tenancy, but if you make complaint about it and get the scheme to investigate things may go your way and you'll get a fair whack back.

I'd be having a word with Shelter and your local authority soonest, for sure having a sub standard fuse box is a bit naughty as for using vaping as the eviction excuse, well, see what the experts say to that.

Yeah, it's in a scheme, which makes it much harder for them but having dealt with a deposit dispute before, i've had one take 3 months, not great when you're already down on cash after a move but there's not much that I can do about that

Last edited:
In my humble opinion, and without meaning to offend anyone, if you are being threatened with eviction you should be seeking legal advice. As helpful as this forum can be, nobody here is an expert on tenancy agreements or eviction protocols. Getting evicted is no joke. At the very least contact Citizens Advice to see where you stand.
Yeah, I'm doing that but also as it's a vaping forum, someone might have dealt with this situation before

I’d recommend shelter over citizens advice. In my area at least they are much more helpful and knowledgable. They may vary depending on area, of course.

I’d recommend shelter over citizens advice. In my area at least they are much more helpful and knowledgable. They may vary depending on area, of course.
CAB is now under the control of the DWP. Shelter is now funded and controlled by the same group. Both have great poeople who will do everything they can to held you. Neither now works for its clients, but for HMG.
Nothing against the wonderful people who work their guts our to help you. But they've had the rug pulled from umder their feet.

CAB is now under the control of the DWP. Shelter is now funded and controlled by the same group. Both have great poeople who will do everything they can to held you. Neither now works for its clients, but for HMG.
Nothing against the wonderful people who work their guts our to help you. But they've had the rug pulled from umder their feet.

I was commenting purely from personal experience on a practical level. I have fairly frequent contact with shelter who I’ve always found to be useful but CAB, at least in my area, are not very good, if you can ever actually get speaking to anybody. To be honest the local law centres are often the best bet but I’m not sure if an equivalent exists in england.

I know the DWP are paying CAB as part of the universal credit palarva but hadn’t heard shelter are getting funding from them, and can’t find anything from google. Can you provide any links to support this?

The deep clean is a joke and it can be challenged.
I've challenged deposits a few times and have always gotten my way. I guess I am a reasonable person.

I've never dealt with shelter but I have dealt with Citizens Advice on a number of occasions and they've always provided a stellar service. They're open 3 days a week here and there's no need to phone, just turn up and you will speak to someone for as long as you need.

IMHO, It really doesn't matter whether he speaks to shelter, cab or somebody else. What matters is getting professional advice and knowing his true legal position so that he is properly prepared for whatever the landlord throws at him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom