What's new

How toxic is nicotine?

You probably have read from EU level nicotine is toxic and the current LD50 has been about 30-60mg for over 150 years. Recently the limit has been redefine to be around 0,5-1g (1000mg). But is is lethal?

A 36 years old woman tried to commit suicide by ingesting 50ml of 30mg/ml nicotine liquid and result? After two hours ingestion the symptoms present were abdominal pain, nausea, and voluminous vomiting. Treatment was activated charcoal and observation for 6 hours.

So the EU's plan to restrict nicotine sales only to 10ml bottles cannot be justified with toxic content. Source

(I would have posted this post somewhere else in 1st place but I am still under 10 post limit)
Good to know. Thanks. LETIEN

Dr Farsalinos says that nicotine poisoning is extremely unlikely, mainly because the symptoms appearing well before the person actually intakes too much nicotine would cause the body to expel the toxins, nausea, vomiting, extreme salivation, abdominal cramps, tremors and headaches, and if any of these were to occur just drink lots of water for hydration and obviously seek medical help.
People using tobacco cigarettes are at far more risk of consuming larger volumes of nicotine than are those using electronic cigarettes.

I think all vapers have "consumed" their fair share of eliquid with leaks and in over a year I've never heard of any ill effects beyond stinging lips.

Its a subjective thing, everyone's resilience to nicotine is different and hence why some need higher nicotine than others, but yes potentially exposure to hi levels of nicotine is dangerous and that level will vary in its level between each person and how you are exposed.
I would imagine there are long term potential effects particularly in the example that you gave and that individual may experience other issue's later on.
Putting toxic chemicals through organs is never a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom