What's new

How toxic is nicotine?

You probably have read from EU level nicotine is toxic and the current LD50 has been about 30-60mg for over 150 years. Recently the limit has been redefine to be around 0,5-1g (1000mg). But is is lethal?

A 36 years old woman tried to commit suicide by ingesting 50ml of 30mg/ml nicotine liquid and result? After two hours ingestion the symptoms present were abdominal pain, nausea, and voluminous vomiting. Treatment was activated charcoal and observation for 6 hours.

So the EU's plan to restrict nicotine sales only to 10ml bottles cannot be justified with toxic content. Source

(I would have posted this post somewhere else in 1st place but I am still under 10 post limit)
Good read, we all know it's just a bullsh!t stunt from the government.

There's more chance of alcohol poisoning happening.

Leave us be

There's more chance of alcohol poisoning happening.

I had an aunt who died as a direct result of alcohol poisoning, and a cousin who came very close to destroying his own liver with it. I can think of at least 4 other people I know of that have died directly through alcohol abuse during my life. It happens every day of the week across the country. But the government will not tackle the problem of alcohol, because the majority of people enjoy a drink, and it would cost too many votes. As people who use nicotine, we're a minority, Joe Public is suspicious of vaping, and pharmaceutical & tobacco companies are Not Happy - so to them we're fair game.

I get pretty pissed off with these e liquid companies that produce packaging with cartoon characters on, as clearly these will appeal to children. They need to be more mindful of what it is they're selling and who to. Responsible adults know to keep the stuff away from children and animals. Otherwise, it's sad to say, if a person really wants to kill themselves there are far, far easier ways of doing it. If the government wasn't stretching mental health services to breaking point financially, there wouldn't be so many people in desperate situations, but that's a whole other topic.

Last edited:
Its a subjective thing, everyone's resilience to nicotine is different and hence why some need higher nicotine than others, but yes potentially exposure to hi levels of nicotine is dangerous and that level will vary in its level between each person and how you are exposed. I would imagine there are long term potential effects particularly in the example that you gave and that individual may experience other issue's later on. Putting toxic chemicals through organs is never a good idea.

I would disagree @Klinux - surely our nicotine consumption will reduce with age like most folks caffeine does or doesn't.

And we should have that choice - as you can't legislate for idiots

Don't know if it's been mentioned but nicotine is a vaso-constrictor. Something to bear in mind if you have narrow arteries because nicotine will temporarily make them narrower. When I say temporarily I mean when it hits your blood the vessels contract then spring back. If you feel chest discomfort or dizziness it could be because you've momentarily reduced the supply of blood to your heart or brain and may need to cut back your nic level or take smaller puffs.

This information was told to me by my GP.

The 20mg/ml nicotine 10 ml bottle cannot be justified for safety reasons.
It's an arbritary decision which perfectly fits tobbaco industrie products.

Then my friend was correct in what she told me last week. This is seriously very worrying as I vape a high 24mg nic juice, also "possibly" explains why I still have a fairly bad chest after way cutting down smoking from last November, I had a bad chest back then from 38 years of smoking, and thought it would get better, but it hasn't really still much the same after nearly 4 months of vaping. Still better than inhaling 50 fags a day though, has to be...
O h yeah if you were vaping 18 mg for 10 mins it can cause heart palpitations so 24 is what you might start with if you were smoking 50 digs a day but them only foe a short time 24 mg is just way to much imho.

I smoked for 47 years & stopped 11 months ago using 3 mg juices.

It seems to me that although nic` is addictive the strengths we think we need to overcome out tobacco addictions/cravings is so much lower that you expect and is all in your mind you just convince yourself you need it.

I even dilute my favorite juice 50% & higher with VG to decrease the nic so you can ween yourself off nic if you chose to .

I tried zero nic then started blending my own zero mg nic` juice don`t get me wrong I still use a 3 mg through the day and zero in the night to unwind seems to work for me.......

Back
Top Bottom