What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

How do I do a basic build with pre built SS Fused Clapton Wire?...

You'll find a number of steel rods in the Coil master kit stashed in a (probably) red block of rubber. They've got numbers on. 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 and so on. That's the inner diameter of the coils you're building when you wrap the wire around that rod.
Thanks for your reply.
Yeap, I've got the full kit here in front of me and will be giving it a go tomorrow when I'm sober.
I have a broken foot just now so I have an excuse to take legally prescribed opioids from my doctor and drink Thai beer (not recommended by my doctor, but it works a treat!)
Cheers for your guidance.
Thanks again coil building people's.

Start by thinking about the resistance of the coil you want to use in your RTA/RDAs and build your coils accordingly. Use Steam Engine to help you figure out what inner diameter and number of wraps you'll need.
I just entered your wire info into the wire wizard section of SE to give you some idea. See the attached screenie. I hope I did it correctly and if I didn't I'm relying on someone brainier than me to point out any error. See up towards the left of the screen? You can change the number of wraps/inner diameter of coil there and see how it will affect your build. I chose 2mm ID and 8 wraps...this will give you a coil of just under 0.3 ohms. Bear in mind that if you're using dual coils that two 0.3 ohm coils will give an overall resistance of 0.15 ohms.
View attachment 136942
Sorry mate, can I just ask if that coil build that you recommend is good for any of my RTA's and/or RBA's that I mentioned I have such as my Apocalypse RBA, Steam Crave Aromamizor, Geek Vape Griffin, etc, etc?....

Sorry I have no clue - I don't own any of those attys, and I have no idea what kind of vape you're looking for or what kind of power/temperature you like to vape at. Nor do I know what resistance coil you're aiming for. I also don't know if you're planning on using a single or dual coil set-up. Please say you're using a regulated mod though, and not a mech?

Sorry I have no clue - I don't own any of those attys, and I have no idea what kind of vape you're looking for or what kind of power/temperature you like to vape at. Nor do I know what resistance coil you're aiming for. I also don't know if you're planning on using a single or dual coil set-up. Please say you're using a regulated mod though, and not a mech?
To be completely honest I'm not actually sure what I'm aiming for exactly!?!?....
I vape in Wattage Mode around 80W-90W and currently running the pre installed 0.20ohm coils in my Smok TF RDTA and I'm enjoying that kind of vape.
It's a dual coil set up and I plan on building dual coils for all my RTA's and RBA's as that's the standard configuration in most mods without adding the single coil ceramic blocks.
I like the dual coil set up as it seems/looks pretty kool....
As you have probably gathered I'm a complete un-cluded up newbie.
As for Vape and resistance I'm lost so far.
I'm just looking for something not too powerful but far from weak compared to my old Kangertech Top Box mini 75W with 0.2 ohm coils that I use to vape around 35-40w.

Last edited:
I appreciate your help and patience for such an inexperienced newbie such as my self bytheway

And I'm only using regulated mods such as my Wismec Predator 228 and Reuleux RX200S.

Ok - to achieve an overall resistance of 0.2 ohm with the wire you have, on a dual coil set up, you need to build 2 identical coils @ 0.4 ohm. See the Steam Engine screenshot.
8 wraps of fused Clapton wire at an inner diameter of 3.5mm are gonna be big coils. There's a lot of wire there so you'll need plenty of power to heat them up, lots of airflow, and you'll need to be using an atty with room enough to fit them.

You've not really started out with the best type of wire for a first time builder tbh. Even I'm not sure that I used the Wire wizard in Steam Engine correctly to work out the precise resistance of your wire, I was hoping someone with more experience would step in and comment. I'm not the best at coil building and I usually use very basic coil configurations - single strand or twisted.

I'll tag in a few people who I can think of off the top of my head who often comment on builds and hope they can chip in and save you from my inexperience, I really don't want to be sending you down the wrong track.
@eyeball kid @conanthewarrior @EmbraSewerRat @SirLugg @Rob @mattyk2010 ...arrgh minds gone blank lmao

Screenshot_10.jpg

Ok - to achieve an overall resistance of 0.2 ohm with the wire you have, on a dual coil set up, you need to build 2 identical coils @ 0.4 ohm. See the Steam Engine screenshot.
8 wraps of fused Clapton wire at an inner diameter of 3.5mm are gonna be big coils. There's a lot of wire there so you'll need plenty of power to heat them up, lots of airflow, and you'll need to be using an atty with room enough to fit them.

You've not really started out with the best type of wire for a first time builder tbh. Even I'm not sure that I used the Wire wizard in Steam Engine correctly to work out the precise resistance of your wire, I was hoping someone with more experience would step in and comment. I'm not the best at coil building and I usually use very basic coil configurations - single strand or twisted.

I'll tag in a few people who I can think of off the top of my head who often comment on builds and hope they can chip in and save you from my inexperience, I really don't want to be sending you down the wrong track.
@eyeball kid @conanthewarrior @EmbraSewerRat @SirLugg @Rob @mattyk2010 ...arrgh minds gone blank lmao

View attachment 136957
It won't be overly precise for that wire on SE Yap. You're quite correct. And it's not really starter wire if I'm honest, but if the OP is on a regulated mod it's not too bad as long as it'll fit and fire.

Suck it and see is my mantra. :56:

View attachment 136957
I'm with @SirLugg I wouldn't know where to begin calculating that wire so my advice would be have a play with the Apocalypse and a 3mm ID to start and probs 6 wraps and take it from there [emoji4]

Not to duck out yappy but you've explained it beautifully. As sir lugg and matty said attempting to work out final.resistance with the calculator is probably fruitless. It's a case of getting say six winds around a 3/3.5ml bar. Popping it in the rda and checking the resistance on a mod / ohm reader. Then adjust as required. Remembering of your dual coiling the final ohm reading will be half that of a single coil.
Should your initial coil be to high in ohms then make the next with.one less wrap. Equally should it be to low and another wind to the coil.
When you have a coil that is in the ball park of 0.4. Wind another exactly the same and fit it. This should give you a dual coil set up around 0.2.

Back
Top Bottom