What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

How do I do a basic build with pre built SS Fused Clapton Wire?...

Crystalfur

Postman
As you can probably tell by the post title I'm a total Coil Building newbie :-/
I've got 10ft of Geek Vape Fused Clapton Wire;

SS316L 26ga *2
+
30ga

Also shown in the attached image and I'm unsure of what kind of coil diameter and wraps etc to make for my RTA's and RBA's, such as my Apocalypse RBA, Steam Crave Aromamizor and my Geek Vape Griffin etc.
I have the full Coil Master V3 Kit but not really got much of a clue what to do with it all :(
Physics is not my strong point nor is just putting my hand to things.
Initiative isn't so swell either!
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Even if it's so simple it's embarrassing to school me with this issue!
Thanks people's ;)

Attachments

• DSC_0359.JPG
    DSC_0359.JPG
    730.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I found when I started diying it was all pretty much trial and error, have a look at YouTube for those particular tanks and it will at least give you some hints and tips, I haven't used any of them, maybe someone will come along soon who's used those tanks, also look on YouTube for guidance on the coil master, great piece of kit ;) good luck and have fun

First thing I'd suggest is get familiar with Steam Engine http://www.steam-engine.org/

That will tell you what you're actually building and how it will perform.

I'm guessing that a 2.5mm inner diameter would be a good start point as it's easy to wick.

Start by thinking about the resistance of the coil you want to use in your RTA/RDAs and build your coils accordingly. Use Steam Engine to help you figure out what inner diameter and number of wraps you'll need.
I just entered your wire info into the wire wizard section of SE to give you some idea. See the attached screenie. I hope I did it correctly and if I didn't I'm relying on someone brainier than me to point out any error. See up towards the left of the screen? You can change the number of wraps/inner diameter of coil there and see how it will affect your build. I chose 2mm ID and 8 wraps...this will give you a coil of just under 0.3 ohms. Bear in mind that if you're using dual coils that two 0.3 ohm coils will give an overall resistance of 0.15 ohms.
Screenshot_16.jpg

First thing I'd suggest is get familiar with Steam Engine http://www.steam-engine.org/

That will tell you what you're actually building and how it will perform.

I'm guessing that a 2.5mm inner diameter would be a good start point as it's easy to wick.
Thanks, I can't quite get my head around Steam Engine yet and what I'm looking to achieve from it's calculations.
2.5 inner diameter? I take that's the length of the coil?
Can you suggest how many wraps I should do with the Geek Vape Fused Clapton Wire I have and maybe what attie to install it In?....

Start by thinking about the resistance of the coil you want to use in your RTA/RDAs and build your coils accordingly. Use Steam Engine to help you figure out what inner diameter and number of wraps you'll need.
I just entered your wire info into the wire wizard section of SE to give you some idea. See the attached screenie. I hope I did it correctly and if I didn't I'm relying on someone brainier than me to point out any error. See up towards the left of the screen? You can change the number of wraps/inner diameter of coil there and see how it will affect your build. I chose 2mm ID and 8 wraps...this will give you a coil of just under 0.3 ohms. Bear in mind that if you're using dual coils that two 0.3 ohm coils will give an overall resistance of 0.15 ohms.
View attachment 136942
Brilliant mate! Absolutely brilliant.
Thank you for your help.
I'll seriously look in to your workings and get working.
I'm truly aiming to archive the art of coil building and getting my head around it all.
Thanks again for your reply ;)

you're very welcome...and the inner diameter or I.D. is basically how big the coil is. Say if you wrap around a 3mm drill bit, or coil jig then the I.D of your coil will be 3mm. Look at yout coilmaster kit - you'll probably see a variety of coiling bits of differing sizes. Ugh I'm being confusing...sorry...here have a picture instead ;)

Screenshot_17.jpg

By making the I.D. of your coil larger you also raise the resistance of the coil...as you are using more wire. See the example in the screenshot...same wire as before, same number of wraps but I raised the ID value to 3mm. See how the resistance of the resulting coil is now over 0.35 ohm when before it was 0.29 ohm?
Screenshot_18.jpg

You'll find a number of steel rods in the Coil master kit stashed in a (probably) red block of rubber. They've got numbers on. 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 and so on. That's the inner diameter of the coils you're building when you wrap the wire around that rod.

you're very welcome...and the inner diameter or I.D. is basically how big the coil is. Say if you wrap around a 3mm drill bit, or coil jig then the I.D of your coil will be 3mm. Look at yout coilmaster kit - you'll probably see a variety of coiling bits of differing sizes. Ugh I'm being confusing...sorry...here have a picture instead ;)

View attachment 136944
Spot on again mate, thanks for your clear explanations, it's exactly what I was looking for.
I'm starting to get my head around it with your help and I'm sure it will all fall in to place with me soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom