What's new

Help needed - oral health after vaping

VapingDan

Hi

New user here. Need advice.

Gave up smoking in December after seeing dentist and joined the vape train. Love it.

3 months later, despite using electric toothbrush, mouthwash and good toothpaste, my gums are constantly bleeding. I think it's due to the vaping as I've read my gum blood vessels have relaxed.

Anyone else experienced this? How can I fix this? Feels like I'm being punished for making a positive change in my life.

Stopping smoking has allowed the toxins to be released from your gums. Think how much tar and crap is/was in your lungs and then you may get an idea. Your blood circulation has improved and you have probably given yourself a lovely dose of gingivitis.
Its down to quitting the fags. Go to the dentist, get a good clean and polish and get some proper dental advice.
Quiting smoking isnt a magic wand after you stub your last fag out. Thinking its the vaping is ridiculous, I think you need to get some perspective.

Yep, had around 6 months of this when I first quit. Smoking restricts blood flow in the mouth, so can mask mouth issues, eg. gum disease. I used that mouthwash for bleeding gums - is it Corsydol? - which helped a bit. Otherwise, see your dentist and wait it out, it will right itself. It isn’t vaping causing it: it’s NOT smoking :)

Stopping smoking has allowed the toxins to be released from your gums. Think how much tar and crap is/was in your lungs and then you may get an idea. Your blood circulation has improved and you have probably given yourself a lovely dose of gingivitis.
Its down to quitting the fags. Go to the dentist, get a good clean and polish and get some proper dental advice.
Quiting smoking isnt a magic wand after you stub your last fag out. Thinking its the vaping is ridiculous, I think you need to get some perspective.

Yep, had around 6 months of this when I first quit. Smoking restricts blood flow in the mouth, so can mask mouth issues, eg. gum disease. I used that mouthwash for bleeding gums - is it Corsydol? - which helped a bit. Otherwise, see your dentist and wait it out, it will right itself. It isn’t vaping causing it: it’s NOT smoking :)

Thank you both for your replies :) glad to know I'm not the only one.

Funnily enough, it was a scale and polish I had done at the dentist late last year. I've also been using corsodl (?) Mouthwash.

Might be an idea to see the dentist again methinks.

Tjhe original version of Corsodyl can be really harsh. Probably every other day max.
After having a couple of wisdom teeth extractions and being paranoid about dry socket and smoking Ive become something of an nutjob about gum care and smoking :)

My horror story: when I gave up smoking my teeth and gums were in a terrible state. I smoked 20 a day for about 20 years, and I didn't visit the dentist much (if ever). As soon as I stopped, I started getting all kinds of tooth pain. I went through an epic root canal, I lost a couple of wisdom teeth, I had a 'deep clean' (basically a 3 hour long session with a hygienist where they scrape 20 years worth of crap from your teeth, all the way down below the gumline to where they meet your skull) - that was one of the most painful things I've ever had to go through. Following all this, my gums released all the toxic crap that they were storing for all those years, and 2 weeks later I had to go through another deep clean to get that off again. After that my gums bled and were super sensitive for about a year.

This was about 7 years ago, things settled down pretty soon after that and I've not had any issues since. I go to the dentist regularly these days. So give it time, it takes a while for your gums to readjust. Also make sure you floss.

I had this too, and while a deep clean helped, the bleeding soon returned.

The problem. apart from the improved circulation, is that vg laden vapour is an ideal food source for oral bacteria. I started flossing daily, without fail, and it soon cleared up.

I would also advocate Listerine over Corsodyl, which I think is for more specific issues.

Unfortunately for me, like @gary68, the medication I started taking 6 months ago for my hip is causing terrible bleeding which no amount of oral hygiene will stop.

My dentist told me that the damage smoking causes to your gums is mostly irreversible. I had a couple of problematic places that would tend to bleed etc. and she advised me to use those little stick toothbrush things. I couldn’t handle using them, horrible things, so got this water jet tooth flossing machine one day that I found in lidl. It’s excellent, been using it every day for the last few months, it caused a bit of bleeding at first but now it’s much better. She was skeptical when I told her about this, but after looking at my teeth said they look much better, and advised me to put a bit of mouthwash in the machine as well.

But aye, go see the dentist.

Back
Top Bottom