What's new

fully mechanical vs hybrid mechanical

For a good illustration of what a full mech is, go and look at a 3D printed squonker if you can get access to one. You’ll see that the internals (other than the squonk bottle) are literally just 2 pieces of bent metal and a 510 connection often with a little plastic nub that pushes the two pieces of metal together and makes the device fire.

That’s a mech.

Mech tubes work in the same way, just that the button that pushes the contacts together is often on the bottom.

Anything else, is not a mech.

It could be an unregulated device (ie the vape gets weaker as the battery dies) or it could be regulated (either fixed voltage output or adjustable voltage)

If I'm reading all this right,
A Nemesis for example, is a mech tube mod out of the box. If I use it with a kick, is it still a mech tube mod,?
or does it become something different ?

Likewise, does the introduction of a fuse have the same result ?

By introducing the Kick, you are making the Nemesis work in a similar way to a very rudimentary Regulated. But as it is a self contained unit, which can be removed, the Nemesis will revert to Mech as soon as the Kick is removed.

If I'm reading all this right,
A Nemesis for example, is a mech tube mod out of the box. If I use it with a kick, is it still a mech tube mod,?
or does it become something different ?

Likewise, does the introduction of a fuse have the same result ?

Fuses are interesting - I know the Gus Mod's often have a removable fuse built into the button.

My take on this is that if it has a fuse but no other components then it still counts as a full mech - as a fuse doesn't add any other behaviour or electronics to the device - a fuse by definition is a mechanical component, it's simply a length of wire that has slightly different properties so that it 'blows' when the current passing through it is too high.

And for the OP's original question - I found this diagram which shows you the difference between a traditional mech vs a hybrid mech (nicked from Zamplebox)

1zlb04x.jpg

Whilst on the subject of Mosfets, the Limelight Freehands (In their many guises, Gloom, Bliss Ultem etc) mainly featured a Piezo 510. Now I am nowhere near clever enough to explain the inner workings of that, but, I see that Dejan now has a new system to replace the Mosfet. Hopefully, this will have greater longevity? They are calling the new switching system RAM, but more than that I can't tell you.

I went for a Mosfet as I found the switch on the fully mech Freehand just a bit too hard for my arthritic hands. The Mosfet improved this tenfold. Would I buy another Mosfet Mod from them? Possibly not. The timescales involved when returning a Mod for repair can be a bit too long, despite what you'll hear being trumpeted about Dejan's "legendary" (sic) Customer Service :( But this is what happens when you are dealing with a company in Serbia and having to use their somewhat unique postal services.

Some great information there, every days a learning day at PoTV [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom