What's new

fully mechanical vs hybrid mechanical

Are all unregulated mods mechs?

......no but all mechs are unregulated. ;)

It really depends what you mean by 'unregulated' .... to me 'regulated' means the power from the cell is regulated... either a fixed output or adjustable output, ie the board has a power regulator on it. .. so any kind of 'direct output' mod is unregulated to me.

a mech mod is mechanical

I think all the stuff in between is being sold with whatever name china feel like giving it.

Why is it called a 'hybrid'?
Because back in the bad old days there were mech mods and attys. A device that fused the two was a hybrid of mech and atty, a single unit.

Then, as things moved on, any mech that did away with the 510 pin cap to minimise voltage drop carried the nomenclature.

@silk186 I have a "Hybrid" Mech, a Limelight Freehand with the Mosfet switch. All the other Mechs I have are true Mech, The Visionary Qutars, The Zen, The Bolt etc.
To my way of thinking, the Mosfet has advantages, yet has greater disadvantages inasmuch as when The Mosfet dies............ it Dies. So factor in replacing at some point.

I have always considered anything that doesn't have adjustable voltage to be a mech.
The term full mech suggest that some mechs are not full mechs.

@silk186 I have a "Hybrid" Mech, a Limelight Freehand with the Mosfet switch. All the other Mechs I have are true Mech, The Visionary Qutars, The Zen, The Bolt etc.
To my way of thinking, the Mosfet has advantages, yet has greater disadvantages inasmuch as when The Mosfet dies............ it Dies. So factor in replacing at some point.
So the main drawback is an additional point of failure. Does it have any effect on vaping?

I have always considered anything that doesn't have adjustable voltage to be a mech..

Mech is short for 'mechanical' ..... a little fixed voltage pen isn't mechanical and neither is a pod with direct output.

Mech is short for 'mechanical' ..... a little fixed voltage pen isn't mechanical and neither is a pod with direct output.
Where do you draw the line between pen and tube? I know that tubes have a removable battery but could I not put my Dvarw on top of my Smoke stick v8 and it would be a mech?

Where do you draw the line between pen and tube? I know that tubes have a removable battery but could I not put my Dvarw on top of my Smoke stick v8 and it would be a mech?

The smok stick is not a mech. It contains electronics.

It might be unregulated but it’s not a mech. A mech is literally just a simple set of contacts and a mechanical switch.

General rule of thumb. If it has a battery life indicator and 5 clicks on/off then it might be unregulated but it’s definitely not a mech.

.... you could put it on there but it wouldn't be a mech no .... it's not mechanical it's an electronic device, with an on/off and a USB port and an LED too I expect.

So the main drawback is an additional point of failure. Does it have any effect on vaping?

A mosfet is a small component that switches the voltage on and off. It allows you to use a switch that isn’t rated for the types of current we push through our devices.

In a “true” mech the switch works by pushing two pieces of metal together in order to complete the circuit.

A mosfet allows you to wire in a nicer switch that requires less pressure to actuate and (subjectively) feels nicer.

It depends on who you ask as to whether a mosfet mod counts as a full mech. I would say no as there’s an additional component in the circuit. But for all intents and purposes (safety, vape quality etc) they’re near enough identical

Back
Top Bottom