What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Flavour percentage advice

gregcool

Postman
Hi guys
Iv been home making vape for over 2 years now and have never really been able to taste my flavours
I make 25 ml bottles with 80vg 20pg and 3ml flavour
Am i over flavouring or not adding enough flavour
I can smell the flavour in the bottle but cant taste it,its just a neutral vape and some people say it smells nasty when i blow out my vape,,,i vaped a shop flavour and could really taste the flavour iv tried many flavours and have the same experience every time,i tend to vape creams or vanillas but cant tast anything,,am i doing something wrong,,,
I make them up and put in my hot pot on low for 1 hr and shake well and cool before use
Cheers guys
Very frustrated

Hi,

if your 25ml contains 3ml of flavouring then that is 12% to my maths so you should be tasting something.

You could be over flavouring or under flavouring, some flavours, but generally 12% should be okay.

Most of my mixes contain between 10% and 30% total flavouring although something like Eucalyptus and Mint is strong by itself at 2%.

Perhaps you are using additives instead of single flavours. What I mean is that a lot of cream flavours are not standalone flavours, sweet cream, whipped cream for example are fine to add a base note or a hint or to mellow out a stronger flavour but don't actually have much of a flavour by themselves. I have been asked to make a plain vanilla juice a couple of times and have struggled to get a good strong vanilla flavour that remains tasty after half a tank, it either falls into blandness of after a time takes on too much of a custard note.

Could you list some of the flavours you have tried to give us an idea. I guess you are DL'ing at 80vg 20pg - have you tried changing this to say 60/40 vg/pg. Pg does carry the flavour better afaik.

Something else you might consider is time, Two or three weeks steeping for a vanilla flavour is minimum really.

In addition to what @garth has said. Have you tried doing a known good recipe and adjusting the vg/pg and flavour percentages? Might be something to try.

My current mix is 10% flavouring in a 60/40 ratio. It's mild when vaped but that's so I don't get blind to the flavour in three hours.

Hi guys
Iv been home making vape for over 2 years now and have never really been able to taste my flavours
I make 25 ml bottles with 80vg 20pg and 3ml flavour
Am i over flavouring or not adding enough flavour
I can smell the flavour in the bottle but cant taste it,its just a neutral vape and some people say it smells nasty when i blow out my vape,,,i vaped a shop flavour and could really taste the flavour iv tried many flavours and have the same experience every time,i tend to vape creams or vanillas but cant tast anything,,am i doing something wrong,,,
I make them up and put in my hot pot on low for 1 hr and shake well and cool before use
Cheers guys
Very frustrated
Hi mate. Bit more info needed. Type/brand of flavours.

Hi guys,i order from darkstar and use capella flavours ,vanilla and cream mostly,iv tried other flavours from them but have the same issues

Hi guys,i order from darkstar and use capella flavours ,vanilla and cream mostly,iv tried other flavours from them but have the same issues
Your vaping creams and vanilla that all need a long steep not a hour heating them as this offers no benefit to your juice other than helping you shake them, on your next mix add your concentrate and your nicotine to your bottles and leave them like that for 3 to 5 days then top up the bottles with your vg and pg give them a good shake and try them again you will see a improvement

Some concentrates are much stronger than others, even from the same manufacturer so you really have to experiment. Some firms will give recommendations about percentages but they are at best a rough guide and at worst completely useless when you're devising a complex recipe. I've been DIYing for about four years and my total flavouring content can be anywhere from 3% to 20%, which is why it's important with anything that has more than one flavour ingredient to get it all written down so that when you get a good one you can repeat it. I use the mixology section on this site (see banner for "E-LIQUID RECIPES" link) to save my recipes and also to get ideas from other Apes' published recipes. :)

I don’t have any experience with capella creams and vanillas. Maybe post in the mixology section asking for info about percentages people use them at?

Also, a lot of cream and vanilla flavours people use more for blending with other flavours. There are some that are good to puff on their own but it might be that these particular ones aren’t.

Hi mate. I use Capella custard. Takes a full month to come good. Best after 6 weeks. I use the V2 version. Some reckon its not nice but I dont think it gets steeped long enough. If I vaped that after just day's steeping it would taste blerrgh. I don't speed steep, tried a few methods recommended here on POTV in the past and for me the flavour was best steeped alone for 4 to 6 weeks and nic added a few days to a week before vaping. That's not to say what others like is not good but we all have different tastes and the steep quick, with nic was not for me. Might be for you though.
Good luck with it all mate.

Back
Top Bottom