What's new

Flavour much reduced from Pyro V2 RTDA compared to any RDA

Dozwold

Postman
Hi,
I just bought a RTDA base on reviews that flavour is amazing, the Pyro V2, but seems no matter if I wick thin (quicker burnt cotton) or wick thicker (not fast enough juice movement), the flavour is NEVER as good as squonking. I guess it’s bevause there will always be less juice on the actual coils compared t9 a squonk that wets the coils every time so why on Earth do reviewers say this RTDA tastes as good as a dripper. I mean if much lower volumes of juice touch the coils how the heck can it? doesn’t Im upset as was looking forward to being able to get the extra juice capacity of this RTDA but after a few puffs after priming, it never ever wicks wet enough to taste great compared to the Recurve of the Pulse in squonker mode. Always has a background taste of something a little bit burnt (although checked my wicks and they are not burned at all). Are these reviewers exaggeratinh when they say this RTDA tastes as good as an RDA even when it’s scientifically quite clear the coils can never get as wet as in a squonker or dripper?

There's been a lot of debate about the best way to wick RDTAs, and I'm in favour of long tails. If you've watched reviews you're probably using short tails.

You also need a good quality cotton as the cheaper ones can't keep up with the wicking.

Thanks, have tried with tuff wicks, cotton bacon prime, cotton gods, and the new swag supreme. Any of them worth trying again? Also Would coils that hold some juice like aliens be more helpful?

Those are all good cottons so that's not it. Are the holes very small?

If they are then perhaps your cotton is too thick to allow enough juice through, so you could either use coils with a smaller ID or thin out the cotton before tucking it through the holes.

Remember though, your coils will never be as wet as in a squonker, but a lot better than a RTA. I can push the Deja Vu to 150 watts with the same build that will only get to 100 in a RTA.

Do you have the TPD version with the daft restricted tank? also do you own a clone or original?

I recently found a crack in my non TPD glass so had to put the 2ml TPD acrylic version on, this transformed it into a very poor RDTA, I own 2 of them and they are now worlds apart.

The main tip I can give you is to ensure the wicks aren't too tight in the wick port choking the juice flow, I thin mine out a little.

I have been using Muji short wicked and it's almost as good as the Combo squonk RDTA for flavour, it's always kept up wicking with slightly spaced Ni80 coils.

My style with RDTA is make the coil inner diameters similar to the juice holes.

Then depending on juice thickness
Thin the end of the wicks out.
If im getting dry hits after chain vaping, I comb out the wick a little more

If it continues then thin the ends out even more.

All depends on juice thickness.

Colder weather will make the juice more viscous, so keep that in mind.

Those are all good cottons so that's not it.

Remember though, your coils will never be as wet as in a squonker.

I think this point simply answers the whole question so the best and final answer in the thread... You just can’t compare and I think that was my whole issue, trying to get the same flavour off an RTDA when I’m used to squnoking, so clearly physically is not possible... time to put it to bed and stop trying its RTDA’s or RTa’s anymore and stick to squonk mods and RDA’s for myself. Plenty of those to try as they get released :)

In my experience I found the opposite, the benefit of a squonk RDTA is the wicks always juiced up hit after hit, especially the Combo (which delivered better flavour), the Pyro also kept up with the wicking pretty good.

I'm waiting for someone to release a balance of the 2, the flavour and capacity of the Combo with the build quality of the Pyro.

But if your going back to RDA's my current favourite is the Drop SOLO check out the reviews (not the normal Drop).

In my experience I found the opposite, the benefit of a squonk RDTA is the wicks always juiced up hit after hit, especially the Combo (which delivered better flavour), the Pyro also kept up with the wicking pretty good.

But if your going back to RDA's my current favourite is the Drop SOLO check out the reviews (not the normal Drop).

I agree that wicks are usually juiced up, but I am now used to coils themselves being juiced up I can’t enjoy the RTDA anymore. The day a tank is invented that can wet up (or Squonk the coils somehow), is the day I will buy a new tank..

p.s I have the Drop Solo and I just can’t get as much flavour as I manage too in the Recurve. Tried with a few coils and builds, I presume it’s that much larger inside. Haven’t tried a thicker then 3mm coil, so maybe that’s the next test on the drop to restrict some air inside it,

My ultimate would be the Recurve but with a tank with a Squonk juicing the coils while keeping the tank full so I don’t have to remember to Squonk every 3 hits which is the trouble with the Recurve.

Actually, my real ultimate would be a mesh Recurve V2 but with a WARNING beep before ever getting a nasty mesh dry hit ever again as those are the worst ever. I OCD Squonk after every hit whenever I use the profile... waste a ton of juice out the sides, but a dry hit on a mesh is just too scary.

Actually come to think of it, a device that somehow does a mini squonk for you with every hit, so it’s always coil wet for full flavour, but never oversquonked, now that would be an invention... ok, calling China tommorow lol.

Actually, my real ultimate would be a mesh Recurve V2 but with a WARNING beep before ever getting a nasty mesh dry hit ever again as those are the worst ever. I OCD Squonk after every hit whenever I use the profile... waste a ton of juice out the sides, but a dry hit on a mesh is just too scary.

I know what you mean there, though I'm slowly getting used to it, squonk until I see the mesh wet and I get up to 5 draws before the need to squonk again, but again like you I fear that dry hit so squonk every 3 draws.

I think it's worth you trying your Drop Solo again, I get way more flavour compared to the Recurve, I use a simple SS316 26g 7 wrap coil at 0.4 Ohms and I have the airlow around 2 thirds open, used it in Temp Control mode so don't need to squonk it as often and never get a dry hit.

I am also going to try a different build in my Pyro as I'm sure it can deliver better, I will let you know if I manage to get a decent build.
(after advice on the doggystyle it taught me a lesson on how much the build style improved the flavour).

Another flavour machine I love is the Oumier VLS, not as simple to build as the others but performs superbly, it's one of my benchmark flavour testers, I reviewed it here if you fancy a nose, and it's dirt cheap at Fast Tech.

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...reads/oumier-vls-rda-build-wick-guide.166918/

Back
Top Bottom