What's new

First time building an RDA, muted flavour on Mongrel.

It tastes woolly, takes ages to break in compared with cleaner cottons. MTL vapers might notice it less, especially if they use nothing else, but with a bigger slug of cotton in a longer, larger ID coil it makes a difference. Again, IMHO :)

I agree with that, well worth the wait though, imo. I've discovered muji is best with mesh and Jap puff cotton is best for standard coils, whether rta or dripper.

I don't really have any suggestions on the rest of it.... but I think this applies far less now than it might have done in the past. When I first started vaping you couldn't even compare the two, but that 'gap' (if it even exists now) is far smaller.

i’m not even sure it was the case in the past. some old tanks can still outperform many new ones i think.

i remember being a bit underwhelmed when i first tried using a dripper, it was very good, but i think i must have bought into the “better flavour/vapour from a dripper” myth/hype.

Between 50 - 75 watts through a single coil?

I may be a bit of a wimp but that sounds a bit scorchio to me. Try the 3-26 coil at about 50W (or the 0.34 ohm clapton at 40 - 45 Watt ish). You may be cremating the juice.

Thank you all for your advice, just changed the coil round and rewicked with a different cotton and used a little extra.
Flavour still isn't great, but better than it was so it's a step in the right direction.
Tried it at a lower wattage (40-50W) and I lose the little flavour I have. Currently at 60 Watts with the airflow one third open.
On average how long does it take to break in fresh cotton?

Attachments

• IMG_20210512_204841.jpg
    IMG_20210512_204841.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 42
Try a smaller gauge wire, I use NI80 26/32awg round clapton wire in tanks and drippers that people put barbed wire builds in, flavour and clouds all day bro :)

On average how long does it take to break in fresh cotton?

About 3 drippers worth, for me.

I use Muji all the time it's my preferred cotton, i tried the Cotton Bacon and the Firebolt but wasn't a fan of either. For a 3mm id coil i cut a pad in half then cut in half again, remove the thin membrane and wick it, right amount every time.

Been using Muji pads for a couple of months now and it's far better than cotton bacon IMO, I've got a whole pack of cotton bacon that I've used maybe one strip out of and it's just sat in the drawer since I started trying other things. Muji has zero break in time for me, no flavour at all from the cotton just the taste of my juice.

Been using Muji pads for a couple of months now and it's far better than cotton bacon IMO, I've got a whole pack of cotton bacon that I've used maybe one strip out of and it's just sat in the drawer since I started trying other things. Muji has zero break in time for me, no flavour at all from the cotton just the taste of my juice.

CB is shite, try some Jap Puff cotton (Labo) some time, it's good stuff, a weirdly different structure, compared to Muji.

CB is shite, try some Jap Puff cotton (Labo) some time, it's good stuff, a weirdly different structure, compared to Muji.
I've still got about another 18 months worth of muji to get through first lol.

Back
Top Bottom