What's new

First 24h of vaping

Hi everyone,

I just quit smoking and started vaping yesterday. First impressions were really good but this morning I got a couple of disappointments and was hoping that some of you would have some tips on how to improve my experience and maybe clarify some things I couldn't find out myself.

I got a joyetech eGo AIO and some 50/50 tobacco flavoured 12mg juice. I followed the steps in the user manual and started vaping :)
After a couple of sessions I got used to it and I was really enjoying it. It tasted good. I managed to take quite big and deep hits that satisfied my nicotine craving, without problems in my throat. I really felt like switching to vaping would be a piece of cake.
The tank was almost empty after my last session. I plugged it in to charge (standing vertically) and went to sleep.

This morning I wanted to fill the tank with some juice, as I had read that letting it get too empty would lead to dry hits. I unscrew the head, placed to together with the atomizer on a towel, so that I could fill the tank. This was a bit of a mess and I don't know why, I didn't fill the tank more than I should but still I ended up with liquid on my fingers and ecig. I cleaned the mess and tried to go vape.
The first hit I took was bubbly and I think it tasted burnt a bit. I googled it and was told that my atomizer might be flooded and I should blow into it. So I tried doing that but it seems that with my device it is not possible. I still cleaned the outside of the atomizer and started again. Now the bubbly thing is gone but I am not sure that the burnt taste is completely gone. My coffee is cold by now.
I don't manage to take nice and deep hits today, as my throat is irritated too quickly. I spent like 15 minutes on my balcony trying to get my morning dose of nicotine satisfied. After some time my device started to get hot near the head. I stopped vaping without feeling satisfied.

So what did I do wrong?
Should I have filled the tank before going to bed? Did it dry out in a weird way?
Did I do something wrong while refilling? How do you go about refilling? How do you refill when you are outside?
Is it normal that my ecig gets hot near the head? I don't mean right at the mouth part when the vape comes out but a bit beneath that near the atomizer.

Do you have any tips on another device, coil, or liquid I could use to have more satisfactory hits?

Thanks a lot in advance for sharing your knowledge!
Alex

PS: I just saw the price of new coils: 10 Euro. This seems to be quite expensive for what it is. Is this the usual price? I guess they draw new customers with a cheap device and then make out money out of the coils?
I saw some people build their own coils. Is this much cheaper and advisable for a beginner?

Hi Alex @am_I_doint_this_right and welcome to the planet.

first thing i will say is please please DO NOT charge your vape overnight especially cheap mods as they can get too hot and catch fire.

check video below. is this the kit you have as there are a few i believe which are similar then we may be able to give the correct advise. if the below isnt your model can you post a link to it.

or this

Last edited:
Hi Alex,

have a look through your little user manual for your device - if you got liquid all over your hand when putting the cap back on, you’ve almost certainly over-filled it. There are multiple Joyetech AIOs, which one is it? The devices where the coil comes out to refill it should not be filled all the way to the top of the tank - this leaves no space for the coil when you put it back in and causes flooding.

Hi @MrDJ

thanks!

I have the one in the second video.

first thing i will say is please please DO NOT charge your vape overnight especially cheap mods as they can get too hot and catch fire.

OK good to know. But then I'm not sure if I want to have that kind of battery around me... I am looking into modular ones, where I can put in the battery I want, theses seem a bit overkill for me most of the time though.

Hi @Leni,

I've read the manual and paid attention to not go over the line, but it was in the morning so maybe I just messed it up anyway.

The burnt taste definitely got away during the day. My throat is still quite irritated when I vape though, unlike yesterday when I first started.
I've read about nicotine salts and will try some, hoping it will be easier on my throat while giving me the nicotine punch.

If I'm reading this correctly you unscrewed the atomiser to refill? I don't know this device but I would imagine all you need to remove is the top section (mouthpiece) leaving the glass bowl on the device and refill it that way. There should be a mark of some sort which you fill to , then replace the mouthpiece.

I also imagine you ran it too low the night before. The coil cotton has started to dry out, you've topped it up and haven't given it a chance to seep through the coil. I try to top my bowl up when it's half empty, no less. If it was less I'd give it 20 mins or so to soak through before using.

@am_I_doint_this_right You might be better off with Nic Salts as they give you the Nicotine hit without the harshness in the throat, I am not a fan of Pods and Pen type kit's so couldn't really recommend that type of device though some user's swear by them. If your looking for a Pod system then @DeeDee will know what suits you, if your going for a mod that uses replaceable batteries then you will have to try and tell us what your looking for in such a device. The same goes for tanks, do you want a DTL (Direct To Lung) or a MTL(Mouth To Lung) the latter is to replace the feeling of using a ciggie.

With that device, when you’ve filled it up, screwing the cap back on pushes air downwards, and liquid into the coil, which can cause flooding. I found it was best to take a pull on it immediately to vape away the excess liquid as it’s actually going into the coil, if that makes sense. If it’s a gurgling, spitting mess, put a bit of tissue over the mouthpiece (drip tip) and flick it away from you, so the excess liquid comes out onto the tissue.

It sounds to me like leaving the tank almost empty overnight has resulted in the cotton drying out when left for a period of time. Try not to leave it too long without the cotton of the coil being submerged in liquid or this will happen.

I remember screwing up a few coils when I first started, when it's all new to you it's easy to do. 6 months or so later I'm all settled in, I don't give anything a second thought and my coils seem to last months rather than weeks.

Hello, @am_I_doint_this_right, and welcome to PotV. I just want to say something about batteries, it doesn't matter if the mod has internal batteries or removable batteries never charge a battery overnight while you are sleeping. Nor do you want to charge a battery when you are not there keeping an eye on it. There is a section here that talks more about batteries, I don't have the link handy so you will have to do a bit of a search for it or someone a lot smarter than me may have the link. Take care and enjoy your vaping lifestyle.

Back
Top Bottom