What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Fail at wicking coils.

i think you have too much cotton, the more cotton outside of the wick the more places it has to go that isn't the coil, it needs to be enough but not too much, clean your coils, give them a scrub with a toothbrush and rinse in water, make sure your coils and your mod is at room temperature before attaching to use TC mode to get accurate results, start at the lowest possible wattage to give a vape and work up in small increments until you reach the desired vape, don;t use too much liquid as it can burn onto the coil giving a burning taste and also cause spit back, the cotton should be pretty tight when pulling through the coils, almost difficult to get it through as it will shrink when soaked, and lastly you can get an amazing vape, amazing flavour and amazing clouds at 0.25 ohms and lower wattage which basically removes all of these issues. i really don't see the need to be vaping at 100 watts at all....like whatsoever.

I'll give it a go stuffing cotton in and then heavily fluffing up the ends and getting rid of the excess. Regarding high wattage, I don't think I've ever gone above 45 Watts. Thanks mate.

This tank can be a pita if youre expecting too much from it.
Its pretty restricted tbh and if your build it too big it will not be possible to pull enough air through it for it to be ballanced.
2.5mm internal diameter and 0.4-0.5 ohms is best.
You need the cotton ends thin or it wont wick quick enough.

If i were you i would remove the cotton, gently pulse on low watts and tug each end of the coil with some ceramic tweesers till the coils seperate evenly creating a very slight gap between each strand.
Then rewick but not too tight in the coil as it will expand when it soaks up the juice. Just tight enough to feel resistance.
Cut the ends of the cotton so they only just reach below the deck cover threads and prime it well and leave for 15mins. Just before trying it undo the top cap to release any trapped air and screw back up.
Start at low wattages say 25w and increase slightly after each vape.
Make sure you wait 30 seconds or so in between vapes to allow the juice to re soak the wick.
Hi @Kitsune and welcome btw

I’d comb the ends to straighten it and rake out any of the loose bits or try to use a thinner wick. The tails look very thick for a tank imo.

Next time you remove your wick, open it up and see if it’s dry on the very inside - if it is it’s too crammed in.

Just my take on it - I see you’ve had plenty of other responses to keep you busy :)

I’ve been through this recently with the same tank.

IMO you have the ‘tails’ too long, cut them off virtually near the edge of the tank, fluff well, push in and then pull them out slightly.

It needs to be tight in the coil, but very short. Try that, I nearly went mad getting the SMM right.

I’ve found regardless of wattage if you’re near 5v it’s a sweet spot for me.

i think you have too much cotton, the more cotton outside of the wick the more places it has to go that isn't the coil, it needs to be enough but not too much, clean your coils, give them a scrub with a toothbrush and rinse in water, make sure your coils and your mod is at room temperature before attaching to use TC mode to get accurate results, start at the lowest possible wattage to give a vape and work up in small increments until you reach the desired vape, don;t use too much liquid as it can burn onto the coil giving a burning taste and also cause spit back, the cotton should be pretty tight when pulling through the coils, almost difficult to get it through as it will shrink when soaked, and lastly you can get an amazing vape, amazing flavour and amazing clouds at 0.25 ohms and lower wattage which basically removes all of these issues. i really don't see the need to be vaping at 100 watts at all....like whatsoever.
Cotton swells when wet, shrinks when dry.;)

It becomes more dense when saturated butbtakes up less space, this is clearly evident

Yes when it's all ready to go, i mean when i juice the dry cotton that i'm struggling to get into position because it performs better fairly dense and tight in the coil, the wick relaxes and takes up less space even though you are adding juice, as soon as you add heat and more juice it swells loads, but adding juice seems to initially collapse the cotton together, removing most of the gaps that were just air. I do this every day and notice it all the time.

Yeah you arent wrong, i mix my own juice and i find i can have the deck over flowing with un sweetened juice and it's not a problem, but stuff i have a lot of ethyl maltol and sucralose in tends to thicken and stick. I think most store bought juices are loaded with sucralose. Especially the ones i like lol i'm forever re wicking and dry burning.

If you add a liquid to a material you increase it's mass. It may become more pliable but sure as hell ain't shrinking. Too much cotton in a coil will restrict the flow of juice along it's fibres at the point it's constricted. Exactly the same effect as putting a link in a hose, the water flow slows down.

OP have you tried anything? Curious to know how any of the suggestions worked out (if at all)

Back
Top Bottom