What's new

Dry burn the coils or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point about this is that we don’t inhale the vapour from a toaster element.

I dont really ever dry burn since reading Farsolinas’ article where he advises against it. Better to not introduce possible additional health risks of they’re not necessary. I’m a lazy sod, yet even I can just stick a new coil in the tank. It’s less hassle than dry burning anyway.
No, but the point is Kanthal is a tried and tested metal that is used in multiple high temp applications, has been for a very long time and has a much higher temperature threshold than other vape metals. And as such it can be used at higher temps with lower risk. There's a reason they choose Kanthal.

Where did he say that, I missed it I guess. I do not mind using the coils once as wires are cheap. But I am changing wicks in every few days. Is that mean I need throw out coils in every few days?

Is that not excessive? A wick lasts me a week, at least I think. Maybe it’s because I’m using superior Labo flaps though.

Last edited:
It really depends on the state of the coils. If they're really gunked up I will gently pulse them but not enough to get them glowing. Just a few pulses so there's no more vapour coming off them and then I''ll re-wick. If they're not badly gunked up I just give them a little bit of a brush with a small wire brush and run them under the tap, dry them off and rewick. Thing is to try and keep it to a minimum and get them as hot as you need but not excessively hot. There's absolutely no need, in my experience, to get them glowing bright orange and for several seconds like I see some reviewers do. Just gentle pulses is all that's necessary. Once they stop producing vapour they're good and that's achieved with very moderate temperature.

I don't personally bother but I know some people dry burn using temp mode with the temp set at a non-excessive temp.

I see that makes sense. Actually, couple of days ago I dry burned coils before re-wicking and something in the coil actually got fired in flames on my mod. I got scared as sh*t. Probably pice of cotton got stuck while removing the wicking material and I did not noticed...

No, but the point is Kanthal is a tried and tested metal that is used in multiple high temp applications and has a much higher temperature threshold than other vape metals. And as such it can be used at higher temps with lower risk.

Aye I get that, but are any of these applications where we would be inhaling the heated vapour from kanthal? I think we are talking about quite different scenarios, no?

I see that makes sense. Actually, couple of days ago I dry burned coils before re-wicking and something in the coil actually got fired in flames on my mod. I got scared as sh*t. Probably pice of cotton got stuck while removing the wicking material and I did not noticed...
Yeah, it's not uncommon for a piece of cotton to ignite. I even had a brand new coil that had never seen cotton or juice ignite when I dry burned it. First time trying that coil type and it was very grey so I think it had a very high nickel content. And of course pure nickel coils NI200 are temp mode only and this clearly demonstrated why.

Aye I get that, but are any of these applications where we would be inhaling the heated vapour from kanthal? I think we are talking about quite different scenarios, no?
Tbh, I don't really get what argument you are making. Are you saying Kanthal isn't a safer metal to use at high temp compared to SS and Ni80?

Is that not excessive? A wick lasts me a week, at least I think. Maybe ut’s because I’m using superior Labo flaps though.

Actually, I do not know when to change wick material, so I change them in every few days. Or when I am switching between different categories of juice (such as moving from light coloured juice to dark coloured juices). I use cotton bacon, and generally I do not vape more than 2ml in a day unless I am not experimenting something, which in that case I can go us much as 4ml a day.

Actually, I do not know when to change wick material, so I change them in every few days. Or when I am switching between different categories of juice (such as moving from light coloured juice to dark coloured juices). I use cotton bacon, and generally I do not vape more than 2ml in a day unless I am not experimenting something, which in that case I can go us much as 4ml a day.
Maybe you’re changing them too often?

Tbh, I don't really get what argument you are making. Are you saying Kanthal isn't a safer metal to use at high temp compared to SS and Ni80?

No, I’m not saying it isn’t safer, but I am saying it’s still potentially unsafe. I found the article I was talking about above. I read the article and decided not to dry burn any coils, as it has no real advantage to me anyway. It’s easier for me to put a new one in.

http://www.ecigarette-research.org/research/index.php/research/research-2015/212-db

Seems like I need to know basics stuff first. So when to change a coil and a wick? I know it depends but give me some idea as I am new to self build setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom