What's new

Doubling the wattage for dual coils for rampup and taste?

Dozwold

Postman
Hi all.
I was wondering if this is scientific or make sense.
My usual RDA is a Recurve. My go to is Fused Clapton coil is .24 oms single, and vapes nicely with fast rampup and decent rampdown at 55 watts which doesn’t boil up my juice.

If I stick the same exact coils (but of course dual needed) in say the Pulse X rda , (ohms in at 0.12 with the duals) in order to get similar ramp up, is it just in my head that I need to use at 110 watt to get a similar ramp up time considering 2 coils in there for battery to heat up? I’m only asking as it seems to get too hot at 110 watts and also my juice seems to burns and gunk up the coils (I like Horny juice) much quicker at this heat. However at lower wattage it take a much longer pull/vape to get a flavour out of it. Wondering if that’s scientific, eg you need to litterly double up the wattage to get a similar rampup and flavour on a dual to use the same coil that you normally use on a single rda. Perhaps the answer to get similar vape from the dual rda is to get 2 smaller coils at .48 each to get a similar ramp up when using a dual setup so that between 2 coils it ohms at .24 dual? But then, what’s the point of running a dual considering the extra cotton and extra time wicking etc,

What’s the scientific (and real world) answers here?

No dual coil doesn't equate to 2 X wattage. Start at or around where you are now & up the power until you get the sweet spot. Go too high too quickly & you'll burn the cotton/dry hit.

As above ^^^ Double wattage = definitely not.

As above ^^^ Double wattage = definitely not.

Ok I get that, but I noticed ramp up time is much longer using the same coils I like on my singles unless I go double wattage which I really can’t due to burnt cotton/burnt juice. Should I then consider the same type, eg fused Clapton’s but smaller coils of 2.5mm for the dual rdas to get similar faster ramp up but good non burnt flavour from a dual? Does choosing a higher ohm like 2 x 0.50mohms coils work better then say 2 x 0.3 ohms for wicker ramp up time at lower wattage or am I missing something and need to get different style coils for instance 2 cores instead of 4 cores etc?
Thanks

Ok I get that, but I noticed ramp up time is much longer using the same coils I like on my singles unless I go double wattage which I really can’t due to burnt cotton/burnt juice. Should I then consider the same type, eg fused Clapton’s but smaller coils of 2.5mm for the dual rdas to get similar faster ramp up but good non burnt flavour from a dual? Does choosing a higher ohm like 2 x 0.50mohms coils work better then say 2 x 0.3 ohms for wicker ramp up time at lower wattage or am I missing something and need to get different style coils for instance 2 cores instead of 4 cores etc?
Thanks
Yeah, coil selection varies between single and dual coil devices. When I'm building a single coil I'll use much lower gauges and more cores. For dual coil setups I'll use higher gauges or less cores. A single quad core fused Clapton works great as a single coil but I'd never use them as dual coils. I'd switch to dual or triple core depending on gauge and use higher gauges in general. They're different animals and need different treatment.

Last edited:
I use n80 tripple fused clapton dual @ .12 ohms ID at 3mm 84w is good for me fast rampup and doesnt burn the juice and good flavor. Aim for 70w for your dual coil and work your way up from there to find your sweet spot, when i use VPC i go for 84w 1st second then 2sec and above around 70w, i mostly use watt mode at 84w at 100w the vape seems to hot and killing my throat ;)

Wire type will have a bearing on ramp up. Kanthal is slower than Ni80. You don't mention what mod you're using as this would help to advise on settings etc. Also you need to factor in chamber/deck size & airflow. Closing down the airflow on a dual coil deck can mean needing less power to get the coil hot as less airflow to cool the coils.

Thank you all three replies. Gave you all likes as each one was helpful. I have a final question about dual coils. When vaping very sweet juices do you find that you need to change cotton a little less often than as on a single before taste goes a bit off, or does the fact that you simply have two mean the same length of time before coil changing, two ways to look at it. A. More surface to taste the gunk with dual so maybe quicker changes needed, but B,. The opposite happening, as each coil gets slightly less hot than a single (due to the fact that you all confirmed that you don’t double up wattage to get a similar vape so possibly on a dual it’s slower to burn up and gunk). Both issues may be applicable and trying to find my best solution to my twice or three times a day need to dry burn and switch coils. (Please don’t tell me to switch juices LOL, I just haven’t found anything apart from Malaysian sweets fruits that satisfy me and until I start mixing my own I’m stuck with them).

I dual & single coil using custard juice & rewicking is around the same 3-5 days depending which I batter the most. Don't see much difference between single wire or clapton style really. Saying that I'm normallt either in TC, squonking or around the 50-60w mark, except on a couple of big boy tanks but I get bored of them & strip down ready for next cloudy session :)2.

Back
Top Bottom