What's new

DIY Juice

Alba

Initiate
I am just venturing into making my own liquids and have a question.
If I am mixing fruity cream or custard based juices. Is it better to add all flavours at the start? Or let the custards and creams steep, then add the fruit flavours after a while and steep some more?

It depends who you ask :).

I'm sure we all taste something completely different - take strawberry, which is commonly reckoned to fade, and many people add it at the end of steeping.

I'm the opposite, I find it gets stronger as it steeps, so try it for yourself. Make half a batch with the fruits, and add them afterwards in the other half and see which you prefer.

I now after trying recommendations here let my custards and creams steep alone and add others later. Have a batch of FA custard steeping, almost 3 weeks now, and the change from week 1 to now is amazing! Week 1 , so so and very little flavour, tried it last night in a test and its really nice, looking forward to next week. I have a FA citrus mix that when its a fresh mix has a nice tangy grapefruit taste along with the other citrus tastes. But leave it for 2 weeks and the grapefruit fades away. Me, I love the grapefruit, others don't, so for me I'll add it after the steep, other people will add it with it. To me, INW strawberry loses half or more flavour after a couple of weeks, others don't notice that. Seems we can all perceive tastes differently, so with diy it can take a bit of trial and error to find your"groove" :)2

As the others have said it is very subjective, I mix everything at the same time. Enjoy yourself mixing both ways and see which you prefer, after all that is why you DIY your juices. Go on enjoy yourself :)2

I've tried it both ways and the difference was minimal. I done 2 30 ml bottles of a stawberry trifle. One had all of the concentrates and nic from day one, the other I added the stawberry, ripe Stawberry, a few drops of supersweet and the nic after 4 weeks and it was a bit fruitier but had I not made them myself I doubt I'd have noticed the difference.

Thanks for the comments.
So far I have stuck to fairly simple recipes, I am trying to perfect something very close to Pacha Mama Peach, Papaya and Coconut Cream.
Over the next few weeks I would like to mix some more complex juices.

Back
Top Bottom