What's new

Coil lifespan?

Thank you for such a quick reply, yes you're right about the cotton fill holes being quiet high, as you say I always try and refill when it's around 3/4 empty. For the time being I've lowered the wattage down to 65 see if that makes any real difference. I'm currently vaping grape slush and frozen apple both 50/50 from dailyvapes. As for priming them, when I change a coil I'll leave it around an hour before using it to give it a chance to absorb into the coil.

No probs ;)

Sounds like you're priming correctly, and lowering the wattage is a good idea to see if that helps. I'm not familiar with Dailyvapes so can't comment on the quality of their liquids, but I do know many of the cheaper brands use lots of sweeteners to "enhance" the flavour, which do tend to gunk up coils very quickly. Having said that, even some of the premium brand liquids can still be coil-killers.

Simon's post above has some good info, definitely worth a read!

Yes on day 4 I'm starting to get the burnt taste, I've been paying close attention and without fail the past 3 coils have all given me a strong burnt taste on day 4.

Ok, do you think it's burnt cotton or just burnt caramelised liquid on the coil itself?

If you aren't sure pull the coil apart when you are done and have a look. .. if you give the cotton a wash gunk will wash off but burnt cotton will stay looking burnt, you'll see scorch marks that line up with where the coil was.

I know not everyone agrees with this but I would prime the coil fully before putting it in the tank, if you don't then you really have no idea if it's fully saturated the first time you fire it. To some degree the action of vaping is what draws the liquid fully into the coil, I'm not convinced just leaving it to sit is reliable enough, especially with these more modern coils with a lot of wick in.... so yeah, flood the coil fully before putting it in and make sure the cotton is fully saturated in liquid, you can always wipe off any excess. ... that way you don't need to wait and guess, you know the cotton is fully soaked when you start vaping.

I felt different when people were using little nautilus coils with just a thin little wrap of cotton, but these fat coils with loads of wicking are different I think.

Ok, do you think it's burnt cotton or just burnt caramelised liquid on the coil itself?

If you aren't sure pull the coil apart when you are done and have a look. .. if you give the cotton a wash gunk will wash off but burnt cotton will stay looking burnt, you'll see scorch marks that line up with where the coil was.
Thankfully I only changed coils this morning so I went bin diving and dug out the old 1[emoji28]pulled it apart and washed the cotton under the tap and all the "burnt" washed away leaving nice white cotton again[emoji2357]so right to assume that the juice I'm using is "bad" for my coils? If that's the case can anyone point me in the direction of well known good suppliers please?

Thankfully I only changed coils this morning so I went bin diving and dug out the old 1[emoji28]pulled it apart and washed the cotton under the tap and all the "burnt" washed away leaving nice white cotton again[emoji2357]so right to assume that the juice I'm using is "bad" for my coils? If that's the case can anyone point me in the direction of well known good suppliers please?

ah interesting. :)

yeah, that would point to the liquid to me..... it's unavoidable to some degree but I think you could find liquids that might lower the build up of gunk. I'll leave others to suggest liquids, because I mainly vape tobaccos at 12w. ;)

Good to know you aren't burning the cotton though.

I know not everyone agrees with this but I would prime the coil fully before putting it in the tank, if you don't then you really have no idea if it's fully saturated the first time you fire it. To some degree the action of vaping is what draws the liquid fully into the coil, I'm not convinced just leaving it to sit is reliable enough, especially with these more modern coils with a lot of wick in.... so yeah, flood the coil fully before putting it in and make sure the cotton is fully saturated in liquid, you can always wipe off any excess. ... that way you don't need to wait and guess, you know the cotton is fully soaked when you start vaping.

I felt different when people were using little nautilus coils with just a thin little wrap of cotton, but these fat coils with loads of wicking are different I think.

Agree with this. Also, once it's in the tank close off the airflow and give it a few pulls without firing to draw through more liquid. The cotton in modern sub ohm coils is THICK.

Then it if still burns out after a few days say screw this and buy a decent RTA for the price of a few packs of replacement coils... he whispers quietly as he disappears in a cloud of Pancake Man :D

How's the coil itself looking? Could still be gunked up with caramelised liquid, which will taste crappy even if the cotton is fine.

Might be worth a read through this thread for liquids:

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...t/threads/non-expensive-juice-vendors.203811/

Thanks to both of you for all your help[emoji106] the whole of the inside was pretty gunked up, after pulling it all apart it did all just wash off, so I'm definitely thinking its the juice rather than being mega unlucky with multiple bad batches of coils[emoji28] I'll take on board what you've said about priming the coils differently in future and ill have a read through that link about other juices. Thanks again[emoji16]

you can find plenty of great vendors on here POTV Vendors & Recommended E Liquid Suppliers

prime vapes didnt win vendor of the year for the past 2 years for nothing. much liked by many on here.
my other must haves are cotswold vapour and we are supergood.

might also be worth checking some of the hardware suppliers on post 5 as ebay certainly wouldnt be my go to as too many fakes and clones out there.

If it's just gunked up and not burnt then instead of binning them on day 4 you could always just rinse them out and use another coil whilst you leave it to dry. Then try using it again when fully dried out.

Back
Top Bottom