What's new

Cleaning stock coils!

Generally if I’m swapping flavours I just add the new one in. Depends on the flavours (menthol never goes away), but usually the old flavour is more or less gone once it’s cleared the wick.

Same here...I just vape the tank til I get a faint dry burn...stop, clean the tank out, rinse the coil under a hot tap....then blow hard in the coil, to get rid of the excess water, dry off with a paper towel..and pop it back in the cleaned tank....and they're fine. Might take a few toots to get rid of any remaining water or juice.....but doesn't last long. However, that said..they are some juices that are so strong..that that technique won't remove the remnants of juice from the coil. so I just put it in a baggie, for the next time I wish to use that juice again.

Never thought of keeping my coils though..i just use 'em till they've completely burned out and then chuck away.

Last edited:
You don't dry burn them in the tank, you just screw the coil straight on to the mod all on its lonesome. Don't want to stink the tank up with burning yuck :D

I've only been buying the iSub coils for a couple of months, from amazon, China and wholesale coils when I found out about them and they've all been horizontal, so fingers crossed.

I've hauled out the old cotton, but not got any further yet coz all the tanks I could dry burn them in are still n use! Next time one of them fails I'm gonna dry burn, wick and stick a bit of juice in to see how it goes :)

Thanks @burnt fingers :D

Wondering if I can do it to the nautilus coils lol :D

You don't dry burn them in the tank, you just screw the coil straight on to the mod all on its lonesome. Don't want to stink the tank up with burning yuck :D
OH!!! Didn't know the coils had 510 threads! Awesome, thanks! Gonna use a smaller mod then lol :D

OH!!! Didn't know the coils had 510 threads! Awesome, thanks! Gonna use a smaller mod then lol :D

On all my isub tanks, the coil pushed into the tank then it was the thread of the coil sticking out the screwed into the mod.. So unless there has been some major design change it should be fine. Just don't burn your fingers taking it back off once you dry burn it.

I ultransonic clean mine, blow them through and leave them in a tub on a radiator for a few days, mixed success rate but most come out okay, the single bore coils fair best.

Some come out better than new as the process loosens the cotton, 1 Smok Prince coil originally lasted 3 days but lasted another 2 weeks after US cleaning.

The golden question, is it worth getting an Ultransonic Cleaner, I would have to say no.

I keep all my used coils as I think the scrap value will help my retirement fund :p

On all my isub tanks, the coil pushed into the tank then it was the thread of the coil sticking out the screwed into the mod.. So unless there has been some major design change it should be fine. Just don't burn your fingers taking it back off once you dry burn it.
Ooh yea, I see where you got your name now! :D Of course, it's not the whole tank... cheers... again!
:D
I ultransonic clean mine, blow them through and leave them in a tub on a radiator for a few days, mixed success rate but most come out okay, the single bore coils fair best.

Some come out better than new as the process loosens the cotton, 1 Smok Prince coil originally lasted 3 days but lasted another 2 weeks after US cleaning.

The golden question, is it worth getting an Ultransonic Cleaner, I would have to say no.

I keep all my used coils as I think the scrap value will help my retirement fund :p

Aha! I already have an US cleaner :D And good luck with that retirement :D

If you are going to try the US Cleaner method, it takes at least 4 x 480 second cycles, plus I use those little flossing type tooth brushes (small round brushes if you know what I mean?) from Home Bargains, a massive 79p for 5!

I also start with warm water to speed it up a little and add a drip of washing up liquid on the 1st cycle, the following cycles clear it out, and the last cycle I use clean water, sounds more hassle than it is, but something you can do while watching TV.

My cat HATES the thing, the moment it starts she bolts.

If you are going to try the US Cleaner method, it takes at least 4 x 480 second cycles, plus I use those little flossing type tooth brushes (small round brushes if you know what I mean?) from Home Bargains, a massive 79p for 5!

I also start with warm water to speed it up a little and add a drip of washing up liquid on the 1st cycle, the following cycles clear it out, and the last cycle I use clean water, sounds more hassle than it is, but something you can do while watching TV.

My cat HATES the thing, the moment it starts she bolts.
If it's gonna take all that, I ain't gonna bother!!

Some of them you can strip out the old cotton , dry burn em , and re wick . Innokin horizontals come out as good as new after that .
That's exactly the problem with the whole cleaning stock coils idea. You cannot clean burnt or scorched cotton and the cleaning has no effect on the wire which is often also part of the problem. Pull the wire out of a coil that tastes done and the wire is usually black. To get a coil working properly again you need fresh cotton and clean wire. Hence why everybody eventually switches to rebuildables.

That's exactly the problem with the whole cleaning stock coils idea. You cannot clean burnt or scorched cotton and the cleaning has no effect on the wire which is often also part of the problem. Pull the wire out of a coil that tastes done and the wire is usually black. To get a coil working properly again you need fresh cotton and clean wire. Hence why everybody eventually switches to rebuildables.
Agreed. In the early days of Atlantis and kanger sub coils you could get more life from a coil with a clean. Juice wasn't as sweet and ohms not as low. Often a coil gave out due to over saturation of the wick. It became too loaded with juice and just couldn't wick well.
These day's the sweetner and high wattage just coat the wire and burn the cotton as you say.
I wouldn't even bother to clean a coil these days, unfortunately it would just be a waste of time.
It would have been good to see nature vape move with the times and offer rewickable coils for the more modern designs to help new vapers bridge the gap between stock coil and rebuilding.

Back
Top Bottom