What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

1st wicking attempt, any good?

I have the same jewellers tool and the coilmaster. I find the coilmaster a pain with thicker gauge but a godsend with finer SS wires. I don't find it as useful either for setting up the coil as it doesn't have a stopper to set the coil in place like the jewellers tool does.
A stopper to set the coil in place? No idea what you mean by that mate.

A stopper to set the coil in place? No idea what you mean by that mate.
Sorry badly worded. With the jewellers tool you have the staggered steps which will trap the coil on the Id you’ve wound it on and it won’t move past the next size up on the tool. I find it gives enough resistance to hold the coil in place easier than on the coilmaster which has nothing to stop the coil moving.

Sorry badly worded. With the jewellers tool you have the staggered steps which will trap the coil on the Id you’ve wound it on and it won’t move past the next size up on the tool. I find it gives enough resistance to hold the coil in place easier than on the coilmaster which has nothing to stop the coil moving.
Except the winder you're pushing(not too hard) against it and the wire hole or channel at the other end. I usually pull my coils tight(if that's what you're referring to, tightness around the diameter) with pliers as part of the process.

Perhaps i'm still misunderstanding though.

Except the winder you're pushing(not too hard) against it and the wire hole or channel at the other end. I usually pull my coils tight(if that's what you're referring to, tightness around the diameter) with pliers as part of the process.

Ah no I mean for just positioning the coil on the deck not the actual winding part. I’m just not explaining things well. I’ll just slowly walk backwards away and no one will ever know I was here ;)

Oh right, no i feel you there, that's actually one use it has going for it(doesn't get in the way of the screw driver either), but usually i'll just unscrew the CMv4(as i have that out already) and use the metal part(the bit you wind the coil around) as i have to dismantle it to put it away anyway. If i'm tweaking an already installed coil though, after a dry burn or before a rewick i'll use the the rod one for ease and quickness.

I thought you were referring to something else i'd totally missed about using the rod/basic jig, that's why i was trying to work out what you were getting at.

I have one.....

magic-stick-cw-tool-coil-tool-vape-coil-jig.jpg

The 2.5 is really about 2.43mm (not too bad)
but the 3.0 is about 2.83mm

I wind on 2.5 (2.43) then wiggle it onto the Ares 2.5 bar (2.53) and position onto deck
have a tight coil that doesn't spin or move on the alignment bar

it is a cheap coil kit with waste of time plastic tweezers (melts asap if you get them near a warm coil)

It is OK at a push if you are a tight arse like moi - works but guess like most things you learn to live or get by with stuff

I think that's the kit i've got. I do have a better pair of ceramic tweezers though..as the plastic one in that kit, is a tad flimsy.

I'm finding that just by using the rod & handle alone works best for me, but that said..i've only made 4 coils to date! How long does a coil last typically? The Siren is still on it's first..and working like a charm. Have rewicked a few times, to get it to stop leaking..which i've now managed. I give the coil/deck a brush over with a small wire brush, then rinse, dry and rewick. It's been nearly 3 weeks now..and still going strong.

Last edited:
I think that's the kit i've got. I do have a better pair fo ceramic tweezers though..as that plastic one is a tad flimsy.

I'm finding that just using the rod & handle alone works best for me, but that said..i've only made 4 coils to date! How long does a coil last typically? The Siren is still on it's first..and working like a charm. Have rewicked a few times, to get it to stop leaking..which i've now managed. I give the coil/deck a brush over with a small wire brush, then rinse, dry and rewick. It's been nearly 3 weeks now..and still going strong.

Coils last as long as YOU feel they do or you need to change them, you can clean/brush/burn them off and if they are fine then carry on. Some say a month or two - but with me I've changed them after a few weeks or a few days because.....

I've took the piss and coil was wrecked as I tried to remove old wick, due it being so thin and full of crud after forgetting to rewick sooner
or
I had thought about trying a different coil - bigger/smaller, a wrap more/less, - basically altering coil resistance or tighter/spaced

yeah I think most of time the coil was a bit wrecked or I thought about trying something different
I normally have wound a few coils at a time so I have another lying around to chuck in, but takes no time at all to remake another

If you got a coil you are happy with, mounted nicely, working well and can just burn/brush up OK then carry on by all means
you only need to change it when YOU feel you have to depending on how you cane it and the condition of it when you rewick it

I'd say a month or two depending on use and condition, but really I've changed it much sooner coz I felt fuck it I'll try something else
than thinking I must change it - yeah think coz I've wrecked the coil (29awg) or coz I wanted to fuck about with trying a slightly different coil

What you use, your technique/methods etc.... - what works best for you in establishing your own "Joey technique"

The Joey Trainee or Apprentice:

Joey has just left school, starts work as an apprentice & shown the very basic ropes by an old boy called George
For the next few months all seems to going well but one day Joey has a problem & George is on holiday....
So Joey asks another guy Fred for help & advice
Fred says - why the fuck are doing it like that, who taught you to do it like that ???
Joey replies that is the way George told me....
Fred snaps - don't listen to him, George doesn't know what he is talking about - THIS is the way you do it

So Joey is shown by Fred a slightly different method which works fine, then a few months later another issue arises
George or Fred are not around, so Joey goes & asks Harry for help....

Who told you to do it like that ??? - Harry asks
Joey explains he was shown by George but then Fred said this.....
Right - George is as an idiot & Fred is doing it all wrong - THIS is how you do it

Joey the apprentice is now standing, thinking to himself - WILL SOMEBODY FFS SHOW ME THE PROPER WAY TO DO IT

In the end Joey works out his own technique which is likely to be a bit of George's method, a bit of Fred's technique
a bit of Harry's way, plus a tiny sprinkling of Joey's own approach that he has learnt or developed himself that works for him

Ahhhh - seems ages ago I was the young pup Joey being shown the ropes & shouted at by old farts telling me how to do stuff
(their way) but though often there is a simple right/wrong way to do stuff as clear & obvious as a straight forward yes or no
it is OUR method or technique we use, that we change/alter slightly as we stumble our way through life etc.....

Go with what works best for YOU - whatever your name is

Coils last as long as YOU feel they do or you need to change them, you can clean/brush/burn them off and if they are fine then carry on. Some say a month or two - but with me I've changed them after a few weeks or a few days because.....

I've took the piss and coil was wrecked as I tried to remove old wick, due it being so thin and full of crud after forgetting to rewick sooner
or
I had thought about trying a different coil - bigger/smaller, a wrap more/less, - basically altering coil resistance or tighter/spaced

yeah I think most of time the coil was a bit wrecked or I thought about trying something different
I normally have wound a few coils at a time so I have another lying around to chuck in, but takes no time at all to remake another

If you got a coil you are happy with, mounted nicely, working well and can just burn/brush up OK then carry on by all means
you only need to change it when YOU feel you have to depending on how you cane it and the condition of it when you rewick it

I'd say a month or two depending on use and condition, but really I've changed it much sooner coz I felt fuck it I'll try something else
than thinking I must change it - yeah think coz I've wrecked the coil (29awg) or coz I wanted to fuck about with trying a slightly different coil

What you use, your technique/methods etc.... - what works best for you in establishing your own "Joey technique"

The Joey Trainee or Apprentice:

Joey has just left school, starts work as an apprentice & shown the very basic ropes by an old boy called George
For the next few months all seems to going well but one day Joey has a problem & George is on holiday....
So Joey asks another guy Fred for help & advice
Fred says - why the fuck are doing it like that, who taught you to do it like that ???
Joey replies that is the way George told me....
Fred snaps - don't listen to him, George doesn't know what he is talking about - THIS is the way you do it

So Joey is shown by Fred a slightly different method which works fine, then a few months later another issue arises
George or Fred are not around, so Joey goes & asks Harry for help....

Who told you to do it like that ??? - Harry asks
Joey explains he was shown by George but then Fred said this.....
Right - George is as an idiot & Fred is doing it all wrong - THIS is how you do it

Joey the apprentice is now standing, thinking to himself - WILL SOMEBODY FFS SHOW ME THE PROPER WAY TO DO IT

In the end Joey works out his own technique which is likely to be a bit of George's method, a bit of Fred's technique
a bit of Harry's way, plus a tiny sprinkling of Joey's own approach that he has learnt or developed himself that works for him

Ahhhh - seems ages ago I was the young pup Joey being shown the ropes & shouted at by old farts telling me how to do stuff
(their way) but though often there is a simple right/wrong way to do stuff as clear & obvious as a straight forward yes or no
it is OUR method or technique we use, that we change/alter slightly as we stumble our way through life etc.....

Go with what works best for YOU - whatever your name is

LOL! I shall, and i am! Quite frankly, at my fledgling stage of coil building, just getting anything to work suits me...i yet begun to care what the build is, so long as it's doing something! I'm a generally MTLer, so,whilst the Siren has a 1.08 build in it, the Doggystyle i got from Rew, currently has a 0.5 ohm build in....and i'm content with either. Doesn't make any difference to me, what the build is, as i do DTL as well. With the pipes, though, i find a lower build does work better, but the standard mod box set ups with a drip tip on the tank, then higher resistance builds are better.

I do sometimes think that some folks get a little too 'coiled up' (sorry!) over these things...after all..it's just a bit of twisted around metal with some cotton through it! As long as the darn thing fires up and doesn't burn or melt...i'm a happy bunny! The only thing i am observing, is ensuring the i put the right juice in, lower nic for builds under 1 ohm, more if higher..and at the moment, just messing around with different juice ratios to see what best suits them. The Siren does drink a bit...and i've only got the 2ml tank..so does need refilling a lot more than the 3.5ml Doggy does...even though the doggy has a build half the resistance that the Siren currently has. Weird!

Anyhoo.....i gotta get that serpent up and running...then do a comparison with the Ubertoot & Penodat i've have...whenever i can sit my arse down fr 5 mins and set 'em up, that is!

Last edited:
LOL! I shall.and i am! Quite frankly, at my fledgling stage of coil building, just getting anything to work suits me...i haven't started to care what the build is, so long as it's doing something! I'm a MTLer, but the Siren has a 1.08 build in it, whilst the Doggystyle i got from Rew, currently has a 0.5 build in....and i'm content with either.

I do somethings think that some folks get a little too 'coiled' (sorry!) up over these things...after all..it's just a bit of twisted round metal with some cotton through it! As long as the darn thing fires up and doesn't burn or melt...i'm a happy bunny! The only thing i am observing, is ensuring the i put the right juice in, lower nic for builds under 1 ohm, more if higher..and at the moment, messing around with different juice ratios to see what best suits them. The Siren does drink a bit...and i've only got the 2ml tank..so does need refilling a lot more than the 3.5ml Doggy does...even though the doggy has a build half the resistance that the Siren currently has. Weird!

TBH - ignore 99.999999999% of the crap I type
I'm still a Joey, one week I think I got it sussed then I realise I'm still an idiot and change stuff (again)
(I'm a bit of an OCD fiddler, never learning that at times I often make stuff worse than better)

so take ANYTHING I say with a pinch of salt, just my invalid opinion(s) at time of writing
you ask 10 members what to do & how to do it you will get 3 or 4 suggestions
go with what you find works best for YOU - ignore me, nothing is set in stone and I know I strongly over-think stuff too much at times

I personally think some tanks may require slightly different coils to others perhaps to attain the best possible results.....
Oh fuck - I'm starting to over think this crap way way too much again

just go with what works best for you in whatever tank/method/settings blah blah blah

Back
Top Bottom