What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

1st wicking attempt, any good?

^^This. I find a screwdriver shaft, or simple coil jig much easier than trying to use the thing thats meant to wind it round. I always end up with the wire coiling on top of itself with them.

I had a similar problem with wire wrapping on top of itself when i started out winding coils, but i did find it get's easier with practice, it's important not to push down on the winder, you only need hold it in position(let the jig push your hand outward as you wind), pushing on it too much will cause the wire to wind onto itself or having free wire hanging toward the jig, you want the free wire(the bit you're winding) hanging in the direction of the winder(or specifically just not in the direction of the jig / already wound wire). I have one of the older style jigs(just a rod, no winding part) and i can't make anything close to being a decent coil when using it.

Each to his own though, use what works for you. :)

I had a similar problem with wire wrapping on top of itself when i started out winding coils, but i did find it get's easier with practice, it's important not to push down on the winder, you only need hold it in position(let the jig push your hand outward as you wind), pushing on it too much will cause the wire to wind onto itself or having free wire hanging toward the jig, you want the free wire(the bit you're winding) hanging in the direction of the winder(or specifically just not in the direction of the jig / already wound wire). I have one of the older style jigs(just a rod, no winding part) and i can't make anything close to being a decent coil when using it.

Each to his own though, use what works for you. :)
Yeah I've got the hanging of it, I just find it a bit of a faff. But as you say whatever works.
TBH I've just been using the tool that came with the Ares these days. It makes a spaced coil that I can then squeeze together as required.
innokin-ares-dimis-build-tool.jpg

It's the wicking i find more problematic and fiddly, making a coil and spacing it out is the easy part now i've been at it a while.

I have one like this that i cannot get on with(only grabbed it coz it was peanuts on sale at fasttech).

9641981-1.jpg

And also one of the ever popular coil master jobbies (don't regret this purchase, i do enjoy winding on this thing).

coilmaster-coiling-kit-v4_1-600x600.jpg

I've been thinking about trying one of the cheaper knockoffs to see how they stack up against the CM one.

I've been thinking about trying one of the cheaper knockoffs to see how they stack up against the CM one.

I have one.....

magic-stick-cw-tool-coil-tool-vape-coil-jig.jpg

The 2.5 is really about 2.43mm (not too bad)
but the 3.0 is about 2.83mm

I wind on 2.5 (2.43) then wiggle it onto the Ares 2.5 bar (2.53) and position onto deck
have a tight coil that doesn't spin or move on the alignment bar

it is a cheap coil kit with waste of time plastic tweezers (melts asap if you get them near a warm coil)

It is OK at a push if you are a tight arse like moi - works but guess like most things you learn to live or get by with stuff

I have one.....

magic-stick-cw-tool-coil-tool-vape-coil-jig.jpg

The 2.5 is really about 2.43mm (not too bad)
but the 3.0 is about 2.83mm

I wind on 2.5 (2.43) then wiggle it onto the Ares 2.5 bar (2.53) and position onto deck
have a tight coil that doesn't spin or move on the alignment bar

it is a cheap coil kit with waste of time plastic tweezers (melts asap if you get them near a warm coil)

It is OK at a push if you are a tight arse like moi - works but guess like most things you learn to live or get by with stuff

I can't say that gives me much confidence in grabbing one(i'm still interested though, so will look out for one on sale at fasttech), the appeal was purely in the price difference, i'm simply curious if the expensive of the CM is warranted. I'm a cheap ass, but i wanted to at least get a proper jig and ohm tester when i started. Anything else i make use of for building, is either something i already owned or picked up cheap somewhere local, £1 scissors from sainsburys, nail clippers for snipping wire, existing pair of pliers for pulling wire tight and aid in spacing, etc. Have two pairs of tweezers picked up from fasttech also, cheap, but honestly could build just fine without them, handy for tucking in cotton, but i can manage well enough using a small screwdriver to floof, rake and tuck.

I can't say that gives me much confidence in grabbing one(i'm still interested though, so will look out for one on sale at fasttech), the appeal was purely in the price difference, i'm simply curious if the expensive of the CM is warranted. I'm a cheap ass, but i wanted to at least get a proper jig and ohm tester when i started. Anything else i make use of for building, is either something i already owned or picked up cheap somewhere local, £1 scissors from sainsburys, nail clippers for snipping wire, existing pair of pliers for pulling wire tight and aid in spacing, etc. Have two pairs of tweezers picked up from fasttech also, cheap, but honestly could build just fine without them, handy for tucking in cotton, but i can manage well enough using a small screwdriver to floof, rake and tuck.

I bought an Ohm meter/test firing but still in its box - got used to building and noting what the mod says in the end

Sure the more higher end stuff is very often better quality - (not always but very often, yet at what price tag ???)
a Fiat Punto will get you around but is not a BMW - it is what you prefer and can afford to spend in the end
at the same time, fine clothes do not make a gentleman & I've never been a must have brand lover
(some of the cheaper stuff is still pretty good - but a few times yeah that cheap stuff is cheap coz it's so shit)

I just pointed out the bars are a little out of whack/tolerance but I manage to get on with it OK
you learn or adapt & do your stuff your own way in the end - still winds a nice coil, well for me I'm happy with it
But it is likely not on par with the genuine CM stuff but then it's probably about 40% of the price

I got a couple of Ares bars - also and find it easier than using the spiral coil bar
(got confused a bit with Left & Right spirals at first for making CW & CCW coils)
Though I've found I can use the cheapy blue coil sleeve on the reg Ares 2.5/3.0 bar and wind it very well too

I often wondered why they never put a bar with a M2.5 & M3 thread on there
then when you wind it the wire (probably thinner 27~30awg) would fall perfectly in grooves to completely evenly space it out
but then you would need to unscrew/unwind the coil off the threaded bar as opposed to just sliding it off
(but then on a M2.5 thread the grooves of the thread will likely mean the coil being wound at say 2.25mm ID - I over think too much)

I just pointed out my thoughts or flaws with it being a cheap kit for tight arses on a budget but still works quite well (for me)
Think what ever kit you got & methods you use - an old nail/screwdriver, cheapo kit or higher end one
end of the day it is down to practice & sussing out what works or what you can get on with in the end

You got a CM coil tool, you get on with it alright so I feel you are not missing out on anything with cheaper kit stuff

It's the wicking i find more problematic and fiddly, making a coil and spacing it out is the easy part now i've been at it a while.

I have one like this that i cannot get on with(only grabbed it coz it was peanuts on sale at fasttech).

9641981-1.jpg

And also one of the ever popular coil master jobbies (don't regret this purchase, i do enjoy winding on this thing).

coilmaster-coiling-kit-v4_1-600x600.jpg

I have the same jewellers tool and the coilmaster. I find the coilmaster a pain with thicker gauge but a godsend with finer SS wires. I don't find it as useful either for setting up the coil as it doesn't have a stopper to set the coil in place like the jewellers tool does.

Back
Top Bottom