What's new

1st wicking attempt, any good?

Deaf Vaper

Veteran
Heya apes,

Began my journey into RTAs....had a unused Siren 2 knocking about, which came with a few ready made coils...so tried my hand at wicking. Just wondering if this looks alright?

Done everything that should be done, made sure the ends of the coils were snipped off suffiently enough, so they're not touching the dome, gave the coil a coupla good burns on a reg mod, the coil glows nice and evenly, then wicked it after watching a how to YT vid. 'twas piggin' tricky! Vid advises not pull on the coil whilst passing the cotton through..but i found that nigh on impossible to do. I did however try to space out the individual coils afterwards with a pair of tweezers again.

So...whaddya think folks? Is there enough wool there (Edit: thinking to myself "it's cotton ya numpy, not wool!") . It's a 1.0 ohm build.

DSCF2506.JPG

Last edited:
It’s not wool, it’s cotton but looks pretty good to me, I’d just tuck the little bit thats hanging over the edge of the deck in abit more...

It’s not wool, it’s cotton but looks pretty good to me, I’d just tuck the little bit thats hanging over the edge of the deck in abit more...

Done that, just a bit of 'overhang', that got caught on the dome, now dealt with. And yeh..sorry i meant to say cotton! :D

Looks plenty to me

Thing is all tanks vary with a little of their own qwirky-ness
often you can't just say cut a strip Xmm wide as different cottons vary in thickness/layers

You want good decent cotton with grain running through the coil
and then decide what thickness works best for ya coil

How the wick is trimmed/placed though on S2 they just drop down than tuck into wicking chamber/ports on other tanks
prime it, let it soak, see how tails hang - might want to trim a smidge more if you feel too long once it gets moist

Never has a S2, but starting to slightly suss the slightly picky True has helped ensure other tank wicking went like a breeze tbh

wet the cotton/wick say from 20% to 80% along the length a bit
as the juice soaks in, the very end/tails will take up some juice and settle in nicely at the sides and stay put finding their happy place

Depending on tank and if leaks occur, some need you to reach round underneath at the elbow
just to ensure the underside at the elbow isn't touching the air block
On "some" tanks/decks with a long air block or a massive elongated air intake/port on deck
there is a slight chance the wick can touch underneath as it bends and juice will seep onto block
(then run a risk of seeping downwards and start to weep out etc.... at external air ring/port)
So on some decks you may need to ensure or just lightly lift the wick away from touching block
(good practice to check for this anyway on most decks/tanks before reassembling)

I'm no expert btw, but learnt a lot from every nightmare I've had
think many have learned lessons from these nightmares/mistakes we encounter = wisdom

Last edited:
Looks plenty to me

Thing is all tanks vary with a little of their own qwirky-ness
often you can't just say cut a strip Xmm wide as different cottons vary in thickness/layers

You want good decent cotton with grain running through the coil
and then decide what thickness works best for ya coil

How the wick is trimmed/placed though on S2 they just drop down than tuck into wicking chamber/ports on other tanks
prime it, let it soak, see how tails hang - might want to trim a smidge more if you feel too long once it gets moist

Never has a S2, but starting to slightly suss the slightly picky True has helped ensure other tank wicking went like a breeze tbh

wet the cotton/wick say from 20% to 80% along the length a bit
as the juice soaks in, the very end/tails will take up some juice and settle in nicely at the sides and stay put finding their happy place

Depending on tank and if leaks occur, some need you to reach round underneath at the elbow
just to ensure the underside at the elbow isn't touching the air block
On "some" tanks/decks with a long air block or a massive elongated air intake/port on deck
there is a slight chance the wick can touch underneath as it bends and juice will seep onto block
(then run a risk of seeping downwards and start to weep out etc.... at external air ring/port)
So on some decks you may need to ensure or just lightly lift the wick away from touching block
(good practice to check for this anyway on most decks/tanks before reassembling)

I'm no expert btw, but learnt a lot from every nightmare I've had
think many have learned lessons from these nightmares/mistakes we encounter = wisdom

Kinda why liked this tank..it looked really easy to set up, unlike another RTA, which beggars comprehension as to how one is meant to access the deck, as it deep inside the dome section. That one is some Sub ohm Smok GTA Quad deck thingy..so left that one alone. Might give that one away soon.as i can't see myself needing such a powerful set up.

I've used Cotton God on this build..no idea of the difference in quality with these cotton brands..but God seems to have a good rep amongst vapers. Not cheap at £5 for pouch of it..but i guess it'll last me a fair while.

Does anybody know how often one should rewick it such a tank...or is an individual thing, just wondering.

Last edited:
oh btw way, i have a few bottles of 80vg/20 juices unopened, that i've been meaning to try out...which i haven't tried with my standard/stock coiled tanks, for fear of wicking issues. I know the Siren is MTL tank, but do you folks think this RTA could cope with it? It's one of the reasons why i'm trying RTAs.

Last edited:
Re-wicking varies......

On MTL 10w 3.7v-ish I try for about a week but not using it 24/7
(maybe using the tank 75% of time & other tank 25% whilst recharging)

When you take the piss the coil gets really crapped up and chimney covered in crap inside the dome
Also at times it struggles to draw - feels like you knocked the air port down or closed it up as crud is blocking the airflow around coil

Some re-wick in a day or two/three once they notice the flavour starts to wain a slight smidge (but usually fussy lot or higher watt setups)
usually 4 or 5 days time I might need to bump the watts/volt a tiny smidge to try to compensate

I can't actually tell you exactly when, it really is see how it goes and what you feel or rather not feel anymore
but depends on person/tank/watts/setup etc.....

All I know if I take the piss too much on thin wire I can't get the fucking wick out of the fucked 29awg coil
So what I tried to save by being lazy, I end up needing a new coil as well as re-wicking
(not that it matters in cost but just a tiny bit more work than keeping the coil after a quick burn off)

I'd say give a few days at least unless you got issues like dry hits or weird draws if full of crud
might get 5 days, perhaps 7 but reckon that is about the limit unless you hardly use the S2

Well..it's working! Got it @ 17 watts to start, nice flavour coming through & a producing a decent vapour cloud...quite like this tank.

Last edited:
Its a bit of a dark art I think getting it right for how you like it. But ultimately I think it will give you a lot of pleasure having a tinker and trying different things. You'll make mistakes and do silly things but it all adds to the learning. Sometimes it works from the off and everything is wonderful and then you'll repeat the process and it will be messy.

btw..I am now going to refer to my cotton as wool! ;)

Back
Top Bottom