What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

18650s temp questions

Big Ape vape

Initiate
Hi guys so I have moved across to a vaporesso swag px80

It takes a single 18650

I just wanna check is it normal for the battery to be warm after use ...I've always been super worried about batteries exploding so I took it out after I'd been vaping for abit and the battery seemed warm I wouldn't say hot at all just warm is this most likely from heat transfer I checked the battery looks fine and has a 25 amp discharge I'm vaping at 48 W on 0.2 ohm coil when I checked the voltage on the mod when I fire it says 2.9V so I worked that out to be 9.8 amps draw which is way under the 25 so I should be safe and this is most likely just heat transfer and the fact it's in use and enclosed ? Right ....any advise or thoughts would be appreciated

Guide to calculating amp draw on regulated mod... https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...lating-amp-load-using-a-regulated-mod.128294/

A merely warm battery isn't unusual or a problem. You need to calculate using cut off voltage not display voltage and taking into account mod efficiency so your amp draw is higher than you calculated but still fine if you're using a real 25amp battery. The coil resistance is irrelevant on a regulated mod. Read the link I posted.

What battery are you using?

Last edited:
Guide to calculating amp draw on regulated mod... https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...lating-amp-load-using-a-regulated-mod.128294/

A merely warm battery isn't unusual or a problem. You need to calculate using cut off voltage not display voltage and taking into account mod efficiency so your amp draw is higher than you calculated but still fine if you're using a real 25amp battery. The coil resistance is irrelevant on a regulated mod. Read the link I posted.

What battery are you using?
Hi , thank you for the above link thats actually cleared quite alot up. the battery i am using is Molicel P26A. how would i go about calculating my Cut off Voltage ? or will it be listed inside the instructions with my kit ? thank you for the advise

Hi , thank you for the above link thats actually cleared quite alot up. the battery i am using is Molicel P26A. how would i go about calculating my Cut off Voltage ? or will it be listed inside the instructions with my kit ? thank you for the advise
Your mod will dictate when the battery voltage will cut off and it should tell you in the instructions or specification.
I'd be looking at a twin battery mod if you're going to be vaping a 0.2ohm coil at those wattages as a single won't last long at all.

No worries. Cut off voltage tends to be around 3.1 or 3.2v. You can safely and comfortably use either of those figures as very few mods go lower unless using DNA boards with adjustable cut off settings. It's basically when the mod stops firing because the battery is too low. On a regulated mod the lower the capacity is in the battery the more amps are drawn totally opposite to a mechanical mod that draws less amps as the battery is depleted. That's why with a regulated mod we always make calculations using the bottom end of a batteries usable voltage.

P26A is a great battery.

Last edited:
Your mod will dictate when the battery voltage will cut off and it should tell you in the instructions or specification.
I'd be looking at a twin battery mod if you're going to be vaping a 0.2ohm coil at those wattages as a single won't last long at all.
Coil resistance is irrelevant on a regulated mod.

Coil resistance is irrelevant on a regulated mod.
Not sure I'd completely agree tbh.
Lets take a 0.4ohm coil and set it at 48w and compare it to a 0.2ohm coil set at 48w i think there will be a considerable difference to the vape experience and how long the battery would last.

Not sure I'd completely agree tbh.
Lets take a 0.4ohm coil and set it at 48w and compare it to a 0.2ohm coil set at 48w i think there will be a considerable difference to the vape experience and how long the battery would last.
What matters is the amp draw not the resistance of the coil. Amp draw drains batteries not coil resistance. With mechs the coil resistance is an integral part of the equation. With regulated mods it's simply not.

No worries. Cutt off voltage tends to be around 3.1 or 3.2v. You can safely and comfortably use either of those figures as very few mods go lower unless using DNA boards with adjustable cut off settings. It's basically when the mod stops firing because the battery is too low. On a regulated mod the lower the capacity is in the battery the more amps are drawn totally opposite to a mechanical mod that draws less amps as the battery is depleted. That's why with a regulated mod we always make calculations using the bottom end of a batteries usable voltage.

P26A is a great battery.
thank you again that clears that up and great nice to know the battery is sound, like i first said i think i was just being a little too worried with regards to the battery i have charged it twice now and it seems to be fine nothing to draw my attention anyways

What matters is the amp draw not the resistance of the coil. Amp draw drains batteries not coil resistance. With mechs the coil resistance is an integral part of the equation. With regulated mods it's simply not.
I completely get where you're coming from let me just clarify that first.
I see this said alot but for most people the coil resistance is important.
Lets say you're deciding on a stock coil.
It does not tell you what the amp draw is on the coil it only shows the resistance of the coil.
So the resistance of the coil is extremely relevant.
Until such time as coil manufacturers start putting amp draw equations on the coil of course but i can't see that happening.

Back
Top Bottom