What's new

The woes of dual coils and the Kanger AeroTank

The odds on getting 5 dud coils in 1 box are almost zero.

What are you trying to use them on? - lots of regulated batteries won't fire stuff below 1ohm (the internal electronics they use to regulate thinks it's a short circuit and the short circuit protection kicks in)

I'm using them on my provari , with an 18490 battery. Would you suggest to up the battery to an 18650?
Thanks for your reply dude ;-)

I'm using them on my provari , with an 18490 battery. Would you suggest to up the battery to an 18650?
Thanks for your reply dude ;-)

A provari won't fire a coil below 1.4ohms (I think) it's not the battery that makes the difference it's the electronics inside that turn the battery voltage into the required voltage that you want to send the coil.

You should only use sub ohm coils on a mechanical mod with a good quality IMR battery that can handle the current draw.

Some regulated mods can handle sub ohms but most of them can't. It's a safety feature. If it wasn't there the electronic circuits would get too hot inside your mod and melt.

Do you have an ego battery to hand ? That should fire up 0.8 will tell you whether the coils are dud.

Maybe one out of five but in recent times even that's unlikely.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

A provari won't fire a coil below 1.4ohms (I think) it's not the battery that makes the difference it's the electronics inside that turn the battery voltage into the required voltage that you want to send the coil.

You should only use sub ohm coils on a mechanical mod with a good quality IMR battery that can handle the current draw.

Some regulated mods can handle sub ohms but most of them can't. It's a safety feature. If it wasn't there the electronic circuits would get too hot inside your mod and melt.

Ah I see now....I had no idea , my fault and not kangers. Thanks again for your help :)

Do you have an ego battery to hand ? That should fire up 0.8 will tell you whether the coils are dud.

Maybe one out of five but in recent times even that's unlikely.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Sorry Danny K I didn't see you post , we posted at the same time.
I've just tried as you suggested and yes , the sub ohm coils do work on an ego battery. Thanks for the tip!!

So what about wattage/voltage. I control the power of my battery with Watts, I vape between 7.0 and 8.5 watts. I have just put a new dual coil, fully opened the air flow for maximum air cooling and reduced my battery to 6.5 watts, I am still getting very satisfying vape with a new dual coil. Been vaping a couple hours, the coil already looks like the sugar is blackening on the coil but I was vaping at 8.5 watts for the first couple hours. Probably only take 10 hits an hour today.

My battery is a Sigelei "OLD" ZMAX.

So what about wattage/voltage. I control the power of my battery with Watts, I vape between 7.0 and 8.5 watts. I have just put a new dual coil, fully opened the air flow for maximum air cooling and reduced my battery to 6.5 watts, I am still getting very satisfying vape with a new dual coil. Been vaping a couple hours, the coil already looks like the sugar is blackening on the coil

It's not sugar. There isn't sugar in e-liquid usually. There can be tiny amounts in some natural flavours, and technically VG is a type of sugar but, not really.

The coil going darker when used is normal. It's 'stuff' that's going darker, if there was sugar in it it'd burn really quickly and be unvapeable.

As long as you get a good vape out of the coil and it doesn't taste burnt then it's all good.

What power level you can vape at varies depending on the coil installed. If the wicking can keep up and there's enough airflow you can go to 10watts plus. If you're vaping and notice a slight burnt flavour then nudge the power down a touch and/or change the airflow. It's a bit of a learning curve to work out what settings you can use a certain head on with a certain juice. Some juices prefer lower settings, others can handle higher settings. You develop a feel for what works well with what that's really hard to describe in writing. There's no easy one size fits all answer.

So I have been experimenting. 7.5 watts seems to be a good medium ground, good vape, doesn't kill the coil/wick to fast. I still get about a day out of a coil, taking on average 20 puffs an hour. Air flow control has been flexible, I can open the Kanger Aero tank all the way, after good juice has been distributed on the wick, sometimes I get a burnt taste if the air flow is open all the way and the wick is not getting enough juice distribution between puffs but I either just adjust the air flow to a medium range or give a couple "dry sucks" to get some more juice on the wick.

I have successfully increase the longevity of my Kanger dual coils (version 1) by cleaning them and dry burning them. There is definitely a successful process to this. Note too, sometimes, after cleaning a coil you have a burnt taste and think it is cashed, but if you keep getting juice on it, they often come around and are still good.

I am cleaning my wicks in the following manner,

1) Soak coil in alcohol, vodka works but so does 70% rubbing alcohol, soak overnight.
2) Let dry, takes hours and hours.
3) Dry burn residue of coil, blow on coil as you dry burn in bursts of 3 to 5 seconds until coil red hot, you will know all residue is burnt off when the coil starts to not get red hot as easily.
4) Soak in alcohol again to remove ash, I do this overnight too but I am sure you can do for just an hour. This step is important, you will get too much of a burnt taste if you just dry burn and do not soak in alcohol again.
5)After the second soak, let dry and you are ready to smoke.

I have not lost a single dual coil or single coil with this method so far. I am just getting one day after another of vape, cleaning my coils with this method.

Last edited:
Strange, I've been vaping a 100% VG Caramel mix in my Aerotank at 15 watts for days without any problem.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I have been having the same problem and with the help of google I found this thread....anyway. Since my acquisition of an X Cube Mini, for whatever reason these coils don't seem to last very long, a few days if I'm lucky, further googling I found the following video..

At the moment I have an old coil soaking in isopropyl alcohol....leave in there for a few hours, then follow this video and see what happens. I did find a few videos about this and was somewhat sceptical watching this.....but he didn't appear to burn his lips, so I'll give a go.

Back
Top Bottom