What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

The woes of dual coils and the Kanger AeroTank

sweetog

So I have been vaping for a year. I had a Kanger Pro Tank2 that started leaking at some point. So I bought a Kanger Aero tank just the other day. It uses 2 ohm dual coils so I started using these dual coils. I vape from between 7 watts and 9 watts with the dual coil. I have tried 6 watts but was not happy with the vaper production. I am not into builds, have no idea what a cartomizer is and basically am not that knowledgeable when it comes to vaping.

I find that my dual coils tend to have difficulty absorbing ejuice after about 6 hours of consistent vaping, say 20 hits an hour. After not even 12 hours of use the dual coil tastes burnt unless I "suck up ejuice" into the wick and have to do this every couple hits. I am disappointed with the dual coils and they do not even last one day full day for me.

I have tried dry burning the wicks to restore them, following instructions online that basically state, rinse the wick with water, dry burn until coil red hot but not white hot. Rinse ashes off, dry burn again. This kills my dual coils that may have been done to begin with before drying burning and do not come back to life at all.

So I figured out how to fit a single coil into my Kanger Aero Tank without it leaking. I take the dual coil plastic washer, flip it around and place it on the "air channel tube" of the Kanger Aero Tank and single coils fit, leak free. I find single coils to not be as good of a vapor production but they will last a good day and half before being done, longer then my dual coils last.

From online articles I get the impression that dual coils and single coils can last for weeks. Neither is the case from my experience. I am comfortable with the length of time my single coils last and I am about done with the shorter life span I am getting from dual coils. But I am surprised of the short life span I am getting from both dual coils and single coils.

Am I doing something wrong?

I can sypathise---I used to use Kanger Evods and the coils(single) lasted ages but recently I just cant get any joy from newer coils --lots of duds and some only lasting a day or two-cant be doing with self coiling --so switched to iclears

I'm on 50/50 18mg Nic Double Flavour Vanilla from Vapology!!! But I'm just about to fill my Taifun GT with some Kings Custard, same Ratios from VapingKing!!! Mmmm Yummy!!!:2thumbsup:

So I have been vaping for a year. I had a Kanger Pro Tank2 that started leaking at some point. So I bought a Kanger Aero tank just the other day. It uses 2 ohm dual coils so I started using these dual coils. I vape from between 7 watts and 9 watts with the dual coil. I have tried 6 watts but was not happy with the vaper production. I am not into builds, have no idea what a cartomizer is and basically am not that knowledgeable when it comes to vaping.

I find that my dual coils tend to have difficulty absorbing ejuice after about 6 hours of consistent vaping, say 20 hits an hour. After not even 12 hours of use the dual coil tastes burnt unless I "suck up ejuice" into the wick and have to do this every couple hits. I am disappointed with the dual coils and they do not even last one day full day for me.]

Essentially when you draw on a bottom coiled tank you're pulling air through the coil chamber and at the same time this reduces the pressure in the coil chamber and juice gets pulled into it to equalise the pressure. If the draw is too loose for the head then it doesn't pull in enough liquid and what liquid is on the coil overheats and burns.

Kanger dual coils are not good for this at all and quality varies wildly. I've heard lots of reports of aspire DC heads suffering the same problem, though not so many.

The all new shiny kanger v2 dual coils are lots better (the ones that look like a hybrid of a kanger head and an aspire head) and anyvape are about to release their own Aspire style heads too, which I am told are also better.

Essentially though heads are mass produced and aspire (and the copycat dual original kanger heads) were rushed out to meet the massive spike in demand and lots of them aren't great.

If you have an aerotank, or some airflow adjust adapter you can tighten the draw on tanks a bit so that this doesn't happen nearly as badly. Tighten the draw slightly and it ought to help. Sometimes loosening the draw to wide open also helps as then when you draw much more air is being drawn over the coils, which cools them down, sometimes this extra air cooling is enough to stop the juice getting hot enough to burn.

Tightening the draw sucks in more liquid, which helps to cool the coils, though it reduces the air cooling. Loosening the draw increases air cooling but less liquid is supplied. There's a sweet spot where you get good juice flow and good air cooling somewhere.

I have tried dry burning the wicks to restore them, following instructions online that basically state, rinse the wick with water, dry burn until coil red hot but not white hot. Rinse ashes off, dry burn again. This kills my dual coils that may have been done to begin with before drying burning and do not come back to life at all.

When you dry burn you don't get them wet again. You dry burn the gunk till it turns to ash, blow off the ash (wetting it here will sploosh the ash into the wicks and make it really hard to get rid of) and repeat until the wicks look white(ish) again and the coil looks shiny. It's really hard to blow ash off enclosed coils so you can't do this to Aspire coils, and the top coil gets in the way of blowing ash off a Kanger dual coil as they stack them 1 on top the other. Aspire dual heads also have a wadding material in them that can burn as well. So basically you can't dry burn clean dual coil heads well at all.

As well as all of that some juices burn much more readily than others do. Especially some custards, or anything with 'natural flavours' You might find that a fruit juice will last weeks on a head and a custard will burn in no time flat, on the same settings.

Hello mate,

I'd recommend you take a look at Naturevape. Just changed out coil in mini PT3 for this and makes such a difference. Basically its coil build with cotton for those of us too lazy to do it ourselves.

I also got coil and an adapter to use on my old PT1 that used to leak like a beast and now love it!
Check some YouTube reviews, see if that's what you're after.

Welcome here as well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Ejuice Currently Vaping With

What juice are you using? And what PG/VG % is it?

I am vaping with California Vaping Company Vanilla Cloud. I am not sure of the PG/VG percentages. Lighter color, kind of sugary though. The ingredients say PG and VG so I assume it is a 50/50 mix.

I am vaping with California Vaping Company Vanilla Cloud. I am not sure of the PG/VG percentages. Lighter color, kind of sugary though. The ingredients say PG and VG so I assume it is a 50/50 mix.

It might be worth buying a different juice from a different supplier to try for a day to see if the problems persist. I am quite a new vaper, but from what I have read sugary juices can gunk up your coils.

I am using 3 tanks which take the aerotank dual coils (an aerotank v1 and 2x evod glass) and I haven't experienced any of the issues you are describing. The coils in the evods have been in for a month with daily use, now fair enough I use both tanks so they are only being used half the time each, the aerotank I have had for much longer and I have changed the coil once, more because I wanted to attempt to recoil it than due to any problem with it. I bought my coils from here Myepack.co.uk

hope this helps

I've recently bought the aerotank mega for my provari.
I also bought a five pack of kanger sub ohm 0.8 coils for it , none of them work at all.
Sorry to hijack your thread but am I doing something wrong?
Should I not have bought the sub ohm coils or have I just been unlucky and got a whole pack of duds?

I've recently bought the aerotank mega for my provari.
I also bought a five pack of kanger sub ohm 0.8 coils for it , none of them work at all.
Sorry to hijack your thread but am I doing something wrong?
Should I not have bought the sub ohm coils or have I just been unlucky and got a whole pack of duds?

The odds on getting 5 dud coils in 1 box are almost zero.

What are you trying to use them on? - lots of regulated batteries won't fire stuff below 1ohm (the internal electronics they use to regulate thinks it's a short circuit and the short circuit protection kicks in)

Back
Top Bottom