What's new

Newbie with questions (don't we all?)

ObiWanVaponi

Staff member
Hi all, thought i'd sign up for some advice and help from the community here.

Been a heavy smoker for about 40 years and tried to give up 5 years ago using an appaling cheap cig-a-like which tasted nasty, got hot and really just didn't do the job. So back to the fags I went.

Anyway, some bad news and a few changes of circumstances later, i've bought myself an Innokin Kroma-a and zenith tank and have had three roll-ups in two weeks, and one of them was because i left the kroma indoors when i went out! Its going pretty well, I used to smoke at least 40 roll-ups a day, probably more.
Reading up into mix up some DIY juice now and i'm sure I'll be asking all you good people some advice on that in the not too distant future, but just a quick question here first.

As I am a newbie to this i am vaping via mouth-to-lung (MTLing?) I have a 1.6 ohm coil in the Kroma which came with the tank, set at 13W. The display says that its running at 1.71 ohms. I don't see a way to turn down the ohms. Does the amount of ohms vary or am i burning the coil too hot?
Also, can you MTL on a coil thats 0.8ohms? the zenith came with one of those too but i thought you needed higher rated coils for MTL, but i've seen a lot of the pen style vapes (like say the Endura T20) that come with lower rated coils yet are recommended for people trying to quit.

Thanks in advance and sorry for what must be some very basic questions. Put it down to newbie nerves, I really need to quit the evil weed!

:hello:and :welcome1:to the planet.. there are plenty of members here who will be able to help with any problems you have in vaping ..

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Tank design has more to do with MTL limitations than coil resistance, but you can only go so low before the coil starts overheating with MTL - the coil will need a greater passage of air over it to keep it cool, so as long as your coil doesn't get too hot it will be fine for MTL.

The ohms are the resistance of the coil. They are what they are and are not adjustable.
They may read different on the mod to what it says on the coil, this could be because of inaccuracy in the manufacture of the coil or because the measurement by the mod is not accurate, either way it is not a big concern if a 1.6 ohm coil reads 1.7 ohms.

Hi all, thought i'd sign up for some advice and help from the community here.

Been a heavy smoker for about 40 years and tried to give up 5 years ago using an appaling cheap cig-a-like which tasted nasty, got hot and really just didn't do the job. So back to the fags I went.

Anyway, some bad news and a few changes of circumstances later, i've bought myself an Innokin Kroma-a and zenith tank and have had three roll-ups in two weeks, and one of them was because i left the kroma indoors when i went out! Its going pretty well, I used to smoke at least 40 roll-ups a day, probably more.
Reading up into mix up some DIY juice now and i'm sure I'll be asking all you good people some advice on that in the not too distant future, but just a quick question here first.

As I am a newbie to this i am vaping via mouth-to-lung (MTLing?) I have a 1.6 ohm coil in the Kroma which came with the tank, set at 13W. The display says that its running at 1.71 ohms. I don't see a way to turn down the ohms. Does the amount of ohms vary or am i burning the coil too hot?
Also, can you MTL on a coil thats 0.8ohms? the zenith came with one of those too but i thought you needed higher rated coils for MTL, but i've seen a lot of the pen style vapes (like say the Endura T20) that come with lower rated coils yet are recommended for people trying to quit.

Thanks in advance and sorry for what must be some very basic questions. Put it down to newbie nerves, I really need to quit the evil weed!

By the time it takes me to type this a few other members will probably have joined the conversation so forgive me for repeating anything that other esteemed members have said

Welcome to POTV givinup

I don't use a zenith tank but I'll try to help

How long have you had that 1.6 ohm coil in for? It may be getting a bit past it's usage date.Has the flavour changed in your juice?It may be reading higher now as it's getting on a bit.You can't turn ohm's up or down.They are the resistance of the wire itself.It could have read that the whole time from new and it's not a problem.Just a little inaccuate.

As for the 0.8 coil you have yes you can use it for Mtl but it will need a bit more wattage to run it and you'll get a good deal more vapour. It may be a bit too airy for you.I would suggest if you have another 1.6 ohm coil put that in.If your flavour is ok still then you don't need to change it or worry about the OHM readout.If it shoots away up over 2 ohms or you're getting a burnt or muted flavour I would definitely change it then.

I use an Endura T18 most of the day and they are a good kit.Coils are cheap.It may be wise to have more than one set-up.The T20 gets decent reviews also but there are many other all in one kits that more experienced members will probably recommend to you.I'm just an Innokin freak

The very best of luck and stick with it

Hi @givinup and welcome to the Planet.

never a silly or stupid question when it comes to vape so dont be affraid to ask no matter how silly you may think it is.
firstly congratz on only 3 ciggs in two weeks. not far to go now until your fully a non smoker.

ive not used that mod or tank https://www.innokin.com/vaporizers/kroma-a/

you mention the 0.8 coil which is a direct to lung coil so not sure that can be used for mouth to lung. they put 2 coil versions in the kit so you can try both styles. the 0.8 will need higher wattage and depending on what strength nicotine you are using the 1.6 can use upto 18mg while the 0.8 is best with 3mg or 6m.
the T20 is a fixed battery mod so cant be compared to the kroma which has variable wattage.

hopefully other kroma users will be along to advise better than me.
good luck on your journey.

You've picked a good kit to start with, which is going to be great for you I think. Everything has been mentioned already I think but...

Try both coils and see which you prefer (and make sure you buy some spares) there's no right or wrong here, both are designed to work with the tank and you don't need to worry about anything as long as you aren't vaping over the recommended wattage for the coil. Vape the way it feels natural and right for you, with the airflow adjusted how you like it.

Keep it charged up, don't forget it when you go out and smoking will soon be a thing of the past for you.

btw, the 0.8 isn't really designed as a DTL coil .... according to Phil Busardo (although you might be able to)

1.6 Ohm Kanthal coil for a cooler vape at lower wattage, the 0.8 Ohm Kanthal coil for a slightly warmer vape and slightly higher wattage.

... and both are designed for smokers to use in a 'normal' mtl style, that's the whole point of the kit, it's just really if you want the vape a bit warmer at a slightly higher power.

btw, the 0.8 isn't really designed as a DTL coil .... according to Phil Busardo (although you might be able to)

1.6 Ohm Kanthal coil for a cooler vape at lower wattage, the 0.8 Ohm Kanthal coil for a slightly warmer vape and slightly higher wattage.

... and both are designed for smokers to use in a 'normal' mtl style, that's the whole point of the kit, it's just really if you want the vape a bit warmer at a slightly higher power.
really, thats intersting to hear.
just shows how coils and tanks are changing.

Well done on your return to vaping @givinup
I did something similar. Started vaping in 2013 but I continued to smoke one rollie at the end of each day, which was a mistake. Went back on the fags after about 3 months.
Restarted vaping in April 2016 and stopped smoking completely in under 3 weeks. Not had one since and I feel much better for it. Even my wallet is healthier now, after the initial shinyitis wore off.
This forum has been a great help to me, and POTV and manufacturers like Innokin and Aspire should get medals for helping to save lives.
I smoked half an ounce (12.5 grammes) of Golden Virginia a day for 50 years. This has taken its toll on my lungs and cardiovascular system..

Good luck on your second vaping journey :)

Back
Top Bottom