What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

New to vaping

Hi everyone im a 47yr old male with health problems who needs to stop smoking. I’m a newbie to vaping but I’m having trouble starting off. I’ve bought a light 40s vape it’s not the first I’ve tried, I’ve tried a few others in the past. Even tried different types of liquid at different strengths. Problem is every time I try to use the vape I cough so much it hurts, I really need to stop smoking due to a Heart condition so please can anyone help. It would be so much appreciated like I say I’m new to this and may be doing something wrong and with the current Covid 19 situation I can’t just go to a vape store for help. So any help please. Thank you Andy.
I’m 4 months in with vaping, it took feckin pneumonia for me to pack the fags in, I’m on a starter pen style but with a good battery life, try the NOKOMIS range got it from here the liquids are spot on! Persevere with the coughing thing it does dissipate honestly!

Hi and welcome, what are you using to vape? What liquid and what strength of nicotine are you using, and what do you feel is making you cough when you vape, how many cigs were you smoking per day, if we know these things we can better advise

Additionally is it the nicotine you are craving or the habit of smoking ?
I smoke bacci, around 20 roll ups per day, im only using a 6m strenth, ive tried nicotine flavour liquid and ive tried blackburry but every time i try to take a smoke of the vape im chocking for about 10 seconds, eyes watering ect.

Hi Andrew, welcome to the forum. Probably a bit more info needed like Cozy asked above but you'll get lots of advice and information from folks here.

I'm 4 months into vaping and had 2 attempts at it before quitting the cigs. The 1st attempt was scuppered due to the coughing. I coughed a lot on the 2nd attempt too but decided to persevere. The cough lasted about 3 days and then stopped. I still get an occasional cough now, it's usually brought on by nic salts so I avoid those.

I started with an Aspire Pockex with 1.2 coil with various 18mg tobacco flavours from the local vapeshop. When I moved onto Lemon Tart by Dinner Lady 50/50 18mg the coughing subsided.

I found that by letting the e-cig do the work i.e. don't try and draw on it like a cigarette, just let the vapour flow into your mouth, my throat was more relaxed and didn't get so irritated.

Some people find higher pg liquids make them less vulnerable to coughing.

I now use the Artery Pal II Pro with a 1.0 ohm coil because the flavour lasts longer than with the Pockex.

Hope you find a good set up for you, it may take a while but stick with it, you'll be so much better for it.

Good luck
Angela
Thanks for the advice i will try to let the vape flow as you say, sorry what are nic salts ?.

Hi and Welcome to the Planet @Andrew jackson , I would suggest a Pod Mod and Nic Salts to start off with, Salts at the right temperature and in the right pod mod should ease your cravings, I would suggest chatting to @DeeDee about a good pod system and Nic Salts are available at most Liquid vendors, the salts are nice from 88Vape and only £1.00 for 10 mil, if your looking for a sweet liquid i would suggest Berries or Sweet Strawberry, i like the Tobacco flavour from them as well. Good Luck on staying off the ciggies.
Thank you for your reply.

Hi @Andrew jackson and welcome to the planet.

as cozy mentioned in post 4 above we need a bit more info before we can advise.

is this your kit

if so this is a cloud chaser starter kit so for direct to lung vaping and best with 3mg nicotine strength. the higher the nic the more you will cough. it also looks like it is a fixed 40watt output so quite high output for a new vaper.
i think you really need a mouth to lung kit which can be used at much lower wattage so you can use higher nicotine to wean you off the cigs. sadly a mouth to lung tank will not be any good on this battery mod as it will still push out a fixed 40watts.

put it down to a bad buy and ask here before you buy anything else.

Thank you and yes this is the kit i have, but any help in what to buy would be appreciated. As im new i havnt a clue as to what vape is what so please post full names of recommended vapes and liquid please.

Thank you and yes this is the kit i have, but any help in what to buy would be appreciated. As im new i havnt a clue as to what vape is what so please post full names of recommended vapes and liquid please.
MANABUSH brand and the NOKOMIS range, nic salts nicotine gets in your system a lot quicker and have a smoother hit that may help with the coughing, The Coyote Cream is really nice! I’m an ex roll up guy too about 30g every 2 days, you won’t get the massive throat hit from salts but I didn’t like the nicotine rush from the salts

Hi Andrew and a jolly spiffing welcome to you sir!
Good advice so far especially about letting the device do the work. I have a question, when you vape are you treating it like a cigarette and letting the vapour into your mouth then inhaling in (MTL) or do you inhale directly into your lungs?
With the kit you have at 40w and a 6mg liquid it may well be harsh for you and part of it is finding what works for you, some people here vape at 80w which would make me cough up a lung!!
Is it the nic rush which would help satisfy you or the throat hit? As some have said you might want to look at an MTL kit. I'd have a look, see if you find anything you like and then ask here if it's any good and you will get answers.

Hello Andrew,
Welcome to the forum.
My husband and I have been vaping now for 18 months and we're so glad we're off the fags.

My husband had the same problem as you, just could not stop coughing every time he puffed. I did some research and found that some people have adverse reactions the Propylene Glycol (PG) in the vaping liquid, so I started making my own with only 10% pg in it. You can buy it now with 100%Vegetable Glycol (VG) if you look around.

Have a read of this so you understand more about how you're juice is made and how it affects the vaping experience.

https://vaping360.com/learn/vg-vs-pg/

I smoke bacci, around 20 roll ups per day, im only using a 6m strenth, ive tried nicotine flavour liquid and ive tried blackburry but every time i try to take a smoke of the vape im chocking for about 10 seconds, eyes watering ect.
Like said above there are 2 types of vaping DTL which is direct to lung like your sucking on a straw directly into the lungs then MTL which is like you were smoking a cig where you draw into the mouth then inhale into the lungs, the device you have seems to be more of a DTL type device, and at 6mg strength with that it could be harsh hence the coughing, the other cause of your coughing is possibly that because your vaping and smoking, dual fuelling, I found this when trying to transition to vaping, I managed to persevere with vaping, had my last cig on a sunday night then said to myself no more and went to vaping

There are 2 different types of nicotine, one is freebase nicotine which is what you're using at 6mg strength, this will provide a better throat hit like smoking a cig, which is why I asked if it's the nicotine you're craving or is it more to replicate smoking the roll up

The other type is nicotine salts which is a much smoother vape and gives virtually no throat hit but delivers the nicotine to your body faster and allows you to vape higher strength nicotine without the harshness

Nic salts worked for me as I didn't get on with freebase nicotine (tickled my throat and made me cough), and is what finally got me off the cigs permanently, I'm still on nic salts using 3mg strength nic salts in my DTL devices, and 20mg strength in my MTL/pod devices but everyone is different and what works for me may not work for you /others

My advice would be to get a fairly cheap pod / all in one device and try a couple of 10ml bottles of juice, you already have some 6mg juice so maybe try some 3mg, and I would also try getting a 10ml bottle of 10mg nic salt juice and even a 20mg bottle of nic salt juice and experiment with them and see how you get on

Ecigone have some items on sale this weekend and also have 10% off all juices too (already discounted)

https://ecigone.co.uk/collections/w...6453e70)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=omnisend

Pod / all in one devices suggestions from me would be

Artery pal 2 pro, they only have the monster squad colour left in stock but good device for £15 and you get 2 coils with it, 0.6 and a 1.0 ohm coil

https://ecigone.co.uk/products/pal-...7&_sid=5d9c2d67b&_ss=r&variant=32140004851757

If ordering from here the artery pal stick is also an absolute bargain at £5 as you get 2 coils with it too same as above I would also throw one or two of these in there too for that price

https://ecigone.co.uk/products/arte...1&_sid=5d9c2d67b&_ss=r&variant=32139727929389

Another one although I've not tried it for £20 and you get 2 different coils to try with it is the hellvape grimm device, you can also use the artery coils from above devices in these and visa versa

https://ecigone.co.uk/products/hell...3&_sid=6c380c54c&_ss=r&variant=32140223676461

Nic salt liquids have a look and see what flavour you like the sound of and maybe choose a 10mg strength and a 20mg strength

https://ecigone.co.uk/collections/nic-salt-e-liquids

@DeeDee may have some suggestions on salts but I would say out of the selection on there you wouldn't go wrong with some from supergood, twelve monkeys (kanzi) I've heard is good, strapped salts (sour apple refresher is good) or dinner lady salts

Additionally another place I use for salts is here they usually have a good selection with cheap prices, they also have 10ml freebase liquids too

https://www.vapeandgo.co.uk/

And finally I would recommend having a look at the new users section of the potv forum and having a good read on there which will educate you alot in terms of vaping and information

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/forums/new-users-corner/new-user-questions-and-discussion/

And especially @MrDJ list of trusted eliquid and hardware suppliers

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...of-trusted-e-liquid-hardware-suppliers.78467/

Hopefully that should keep you going for a while and good luck with it all, hopefully we can get you off the stinkies

Last edited:
Hi Andrew and a jolly spiffing welcome to you sir!
Good advice so far especially about letting the device do the work. I have a question, when you vape are you treating it like a cigarette and letting the vapour into your mouth then inhaling in (MTL) or do you inhale directly into your lungs?
With the kit you have at 40w and a 6mg liquid it may well be harsh for you and part of it is finding what works for you, some people here vape at 80w which would make me cough up a lung!!
Is it the nic rush which would help satisfy you or the throat hit? As some have said you might want to look at an MTL kit. I'd have a look, see if you find anything you like and then ask here if it's any good and you will get answers.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom